Any Subaru BRZ Owners Here - UPDATE GOT IT!

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I'm looking to upgrade from a 2016 Honda Civic LX coupe to the Subaru BRZ. All reviews I've read of this car over the years have been stellar - and the in every YouTube review people have nothing but smiles on their faces while driving.

Just curious is anyone here has some experience with this or the Toyota 86 (same thing, essentially) and what your thoughts are?

I want a fun, peppy, understated sports coupe as an upgrade to my existing Civic. I've owned both a 97 Trans-Am and a 2011 Camaro, so I'm not a noob when it comes to sports cars. That said, as a working adult who lives on fun to drive back roads, I want to stay away from American muscle.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm looking to upgrade from a 2016 Honda Civic LX coupe to the Subaru BRZ. All reviews I've read of this car over the years have been stellar - and the in every YouTube review people have nothing but smiles on their faces while driving.

Just curious is anyone here has some experience with this or the Toyota 86 (same thing, essentially) and what your thoughts are?

I want a fun, peppy, understated sports coupe as an upgrade to my existing Civic. I've owned both a 97 Trans-Am and a 2011 Camaro, so I'm not a noob when it comes to sports cars. That said, as a working adult who lives on fun to drive back roads, I want to stay away from American muscle.

why not get an ST-i if you want a sports coupe on the discount? brz has a nice look but seems more like the celica to the sti's supra.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
why not get an ST-i if you want a sports coupe on the discount? brz has a nice look but seems more like the celica to the sti's supra.

The STI isn’t a coupe though, it’s a sporty compact sedan. It’s also not *that* cheap and not *that* fast. The STI has been packing on weight since the beginning and they haven’t increased BHP figures in the time that it’s been out.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I presume you are buying new. I have read the Veloster N is decent. It is a weird 3-door thing so not sure if it qualifies as a coupe.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Get a Mazda 767B, they're understated sleeper cars. People will honestly think you're 80 years old and out to get milk.

1989_Mazda_767B_015_MHowell-crop.jpg

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I wouldn't mind a BRZ. I don't know anyone that owns one, so I cannot comment. They seem to be holding their value fairly well.
The power is fairly low for today's market, but I don't think that takes aware from their fun value. Just dont plan to be hooning at red lights.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Not an owner, but I like the BRZ. Can't stand the community around it, but that wouldn't necessarily impact my purchasing decision if I were to get one. If you get one, be prepared for all the "that car's not fast" talk from people who don't understand that there's more to racing than stupid highway drags with teenagers.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I had an 86, nice thing. A bit gutless and a bit uncomfortable to live with day to day though.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Thanks for the thoughts - Considered a Veloster and a WRX, but the body styles just aren't what I'm after. The WRX is an understated BEAST though, and has a lot of power behind it. If I had kids or something I'd definitely consider it. Not as fun as the BRZ, but it definitely has the power and torque advantage.

Went to test drive a used 2017 BRZ last night just to get a feel for the car, and man is it FUN - it hugs the road and zips around corners like nothing else I've ever driven. It was a blast - ended up ordering a new 2020. Dealer had one on the way, so I caught it while it was still at the factory and ordered a bevy of upgrades: STI suspension package, audio system upgrade, and a few other bells and whistles. Never have been able to customize a car like that before and get it factory fresh - so I get to break it in myself. I also got a screaming good deal with all the rebates and crazy low interest rates right now. I'm not a huge car guy, but I'm stoked for this.

Should be here in 2-ish weeks. Going for a good drive is definitely a highlight right now during the pandemic, so might as well have some fun on the back roads around my house...well, at least until winter when I probably can't get the damn thing out of my driveway. haha.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Thanks for the thoughts - Considered a Veloster and a WRX, but the body styles just aren't what I'm after. The WRX is an understated BEAST though, and has a lot of power behind it. If I had kids or something I'd definitely consider it. Not as fun as the BRZ, but it definitely has the power and torque advantage.

Went to test drive a used 2017 BRZ last night just to get a feel for the car, and man is it FUN - it hugs the road and zips around corners like nothing else I've ever driven. It was a blast - ended up ordering a new 2020. Dealer had one on the way, so I caught it while it was still at the factory and ordered a bevy of upgrades: STI suspension package, audio system upgrade, and a few other bells and whistles. Never have been able to customize a car like that before and get it factory fresh - so I get to break it in myself. I also got a screaming good deal with all the rebates and crazy low interest rates right now. I'm not a huge car guy, but I'm stoked for this.

Should be here in 2-ish weeks. Going for a good drive is definitely a highlight right now during the pandemic, so might as well have some fun on the back roads around my house...well, at least until winter when I probably can't get the damn thing out of my driveway. haha.

Good stuff, I’m happy for you. You’re gonna love it! Put some pics up when it comes in.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Nice, congrats on the car! It is always fun to treat yourself to a new toy.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

I've never bought brand new, but it certainly is a good time to buy.

Keep us up to date in the Car Enthusiast thread.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?115153-Car-Enthusiast-Thread/page255

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've never driven one...but by everything I understand, they're a purpose built machine. If that purpose suits you, you'll love it.

To me, it's like the people that love Miata/MX5. No, they're not lightning fast...but they are pure driving machines with little nanny equipment, they're wonderfully responsive, and are a riot to drive in the real world. I've head the same thing about the BRZ platform. No, they're not going to break any land speed records, but their as close as you're going to get to an older driving experience in a modern car. Few electronics, great road feel, superb handling and stopping...I've read great things about them.

Congrats on your purchase. Come back and let us know when you get it.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Sportiness/curvy roads are a ton of fun with sporty cars. The feeling of fast is important, not just pure speed. I love driving my RSX, it is hardly fast in today's world, but it sure is fun rev-ing it to 7000+ RPM.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

Was going to say that the only bad thing I've heard about 'em was they're not so easy to get in/out of and aren't quite built for taller/larger people. But as you test drove and bought one it sounds like that wasn't a concern for you.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sportiness/curvy roads are a ton of fun with sporty cars. The feeling of fast is important, not just pure speed. I love driving my RSX, it is hardly fast in today's world, but it sure is fun rev-ing it to 7000+ RPM.

I'll admit that I've been out of the game for a while now, but I recall noting that there was only so much horsepower you could effectively use on public roads. Handling and braking were much more important.

I had a rather high horsepower car but found my last two, which were significantly lower powered cars, to be much more "fun" on real roads.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Was going to say that the only bad thing I've heard about 'em was they're not so easy to get in/out of and aren't quite built for taller/larger people. But as you test drove and bought one it sounds like that wasn't a concern for you.

I'm 5'9 - so I fit just fine (rhymes, lol).

I’d take a nicely optioned BRZ over a Civic LX coupe any day.

Any car enthusiast would think the same.

100%. Like I said in my first post - I've owned both a 97 Pontiac Trans-Am and a 2011 Camaro through the years - both cars around the time of their release. I'm a big fan of the F-Body and American muscle in general, but the supreme handling of the BRZ is like nothing else I've ever driven. It's fun in the way much more "powerful" cars just can't complete with. With the windy ass roads I live around, the BRZ will be a blast.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

When I bought my Scat pack Challenger in 2017 I ordered it and got it exactly how I wanted it. I always just bought cars the way they were off the lot over the years. Now I tell everyone to just take the wait and get it specified to your liking and you will have 0 regrets. Happy for you, nothing like getting a new car and going for a rip.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sportiness/curvy roads are a ton of fun with sporty cars. The feeling of fast is important, not just pure speed.

Can confirm. Around town my old Miata is absolutely more fun to drive even though the other car is much faster. It can get up to the speed limit in just a few slightly terrifying seconds, then the fun is over.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Miatas are a blast in general. I really wish I had bought one sooner than I did.

Congrats on your new BRZ, yam!