Need help identifying Hyper Board

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm sure some of you have seen this but I'm trying to get info to help the guy who has it. I originally thought it was a rental unit but taking a look inside I don't think so. I don't think it's a prototype based on the rom chips but hoping we can get more info here.

The main sticker is the same as what's on the regular boards, instructions on what to do and what not to do, I'm pretty sure it's word for word but it's in black and white instead of color.

The Japanese on the lower side says the board was tested (more or less), probably when the tag was taped on which was sometime in 2000, years after this game came out.

Any and all information would be appreciated and I'll relay everything on over to the owner.

hyper 1.jpghyper 2.jpghyper 3.jpghyper 4.jpghyper 5.jpghyper 6.jpg

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Hopefully awbacon sees this, he's got the most HNG64 information of anyone I know on here. Cool find!

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
Hopefully awbacon sees this, he's got the most HNG64 information of anyone I know on here. Cool find!

Hope so. The Hyper section doesn’t get as much traffic since most people aren’t as interested in it. I too am guilty of this, but I did just recently get a hyper board lol.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I've never seen anything like this before, recently or in the 90's.

There are four main variants of the Hyper MOBO: Driving, Beast Busters, and two revisions of the fighting game board. All use similarly designed modular cartridges. As SS64 was the first fighting game developed for the hardware, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a close to final proto cart used for location testing before the kit was finalized for commercial sale.

Has this been hooked up to a Hyper FG board for testing? There are a few members here (myself included) that have full sets and/or have experience with the hardware. It would be interesting to play this back to back with a final copy of the game to see if it is indeed a final rom set or not.

Thanks for bringing this to the community's attention. It's an interesting find indeed.

awbacon, any ideas?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I’m chatting with him to work something out to test the board and get it dumped. My theory is it’s a location test board. The date on the rom risers put it around Japanese location test dates so my assumption (as it made its way to America) is it was a build sent to SNK USA to test / show off.

Since it’s untested and clearly has gotten wet I recommended it not be plugged in until it’s been thoroughly inspected and cleaned and not popped onto a motherboard unless that board is known good working. Damage could be done if the cart itself has issues. Considering the rust id guess it will need repairs before being able to be checked. Cart could be DOA but roms could be fine. It could all be dead. Hard to say.

If you believe Google and the release date for Sam Sho 64 the risers put it 8 months before release. Granted the risers could be made in May and the roms could be final. No way of knowing before it’s tested and compared fully against the OG cart and the roms are dumped and checked against the known good retail dump checksums.

I’ve offered to take the cart in. Just waiting on a response :)

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Also the sticker has no serial. All other hyper stickers are colored and have serials on the stickers. So between that, the case (to allow for clearance of the riser boards) and the overall design...obv not final hardware. I’ve never seen a photo of a Hyper Dev Kit so this could be part of the dev kit, or just a test cart (like you see with many other consoles. Flashable carts to test on final hardware)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Also I believe the FMM code on the risers themselves stands for “Flash Memory Module”...as those chip codes correspond to Fujitsu flash memory chips.

Not super exciting info but lol

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I’m chatting with him to work something out to test the board and get it dumped. My theory is it’s a location test board. The date on the rom risers put it around Japanese location test dates so my assumption (as it made its way to America) is it was a build sent to SNK USA to test / show off.

Since it’s untested and clearly has gotten wet I recommended it not be plugged in until it’s been thoroughly inspected and cleaned and not popped onto a motherboard unless that board is known good working. Damage could be done if the cart itself has issues. Considering the rust id guess it will need repairs before being able to be checked. Cart could be DOA but roms could be fine. It could all be dead. Hard to say.

If you believe Google and the release date for Sam Sho 64 the risers put it 8 months before release. Granted the risers could be made in May and the roms could be final. No way of knowing before it’s tested and compared fully against the OG cart and the roms are dumped and checked against the known good retail dump checksums.

I’ve offered to take the cart in. Just waiting on a response :)

Good to know someone is taking steps to help with documentation and preservation. As soon as I saw the photos I knew there was no information about this anywhere. The guy sometimes takes a while to respond but he has a TON of stock that he picked up from somewhere and is making a bunch of money on it all even with his good prices. Please keep us posted awbacon!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Good to know someone is taking steps to help with documentation and preservation. As soon as I saw the photos I knew there was no information about this anywhere. The guy sometimes takes a while to respond but he has a TON of stock that he picked up from somewhere and is making a bunch of money on it all even with his good prices. Please keep us posted awbacon!

If anything happens with it I’ll keep people here updated. I just want to try to get it dumped before it sells to someone who will shelf queen it and it’ll never see the light of day again. Even if emulation is poor now one day it won’t be.

Also just to make sure it’s safe to test before it gets powered on

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
If anything happens with it I’ll keep people here updated. I just want to try to get it dumped before it sells to someone who will shelf queen it and it’ll never see the light of day again. Even if emulation is poor now one day it won’t be.

Also just to make sure it’s safe to test before it gets powered on

Hype!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Any word on the happenings with this cart? I'm hoping some good news will come of it.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Any word on the happenings with this cart? I'm hoping some good news will come of it.

No. My offer to clean / repair / confirm / dump it is unanswered as of yet. If anything changes I’ll update :)

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
No. My offer to clean / repair / confirm / dump it is unanswered as of yet. If anything changes I’ll update :)

I'm wondering if someone bought it from him. I haven't asked him about it in a bit but I did buy some more stuff from the guy recently.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'm wondering if someone bought it from him. I haven't asked him about it in a bit but I did buy some more stuff from the guy recently.

Not sure. I let him know the value would be higher if we could confirm what it is exactly but not much else I can do. It may just go into a collectors closet and never appear again lol

Which drives me nuts but what can we do? Can’t save and dump every prototype ever. I wish I could but I can’t afford it lol

I’d buy it off him if the price was right but I can’t dump stacks at every prototype that comes along and seems cool sadly. I buy and dump stuff where and when I can but it’s not a good time for me to be spending big $$$ on items to dump unless I know I can sell it (not for a profit. Just to get out what I put in) immediately after

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
WTF is this? Interesting. Hopefully you can get it in your hands. I've seen a fair share of HNG64 stuff, never seen that before. Nice.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I really hope something comes of this, it would be a pity to see it disappear from view. So little around about the Hyper after all.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
zero updates as of yet. Offer is still out there from me to the owner to test/repair if needed/dump and confirm what's on the roms

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I really hope something comes of this, it would be a pity to see it disappear from view. So little around about the Hyper after all.

The cart is on its way to me. I had to acquire it which wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do considering I already have a Sam Sho 64 Lolol...but it’s too intriguing to pass up.

Maybe it doesn’t work. Maybe it’s a prototype. Maybe it’s the final rom on a test location board. Maybe it’s blank. Worth the gamble considering how often do I get the chance to acquire prototype SNK hardware.

Whatever it is I’ll document it on YT and if it is non-final I’ll figure how to dump it or find someone smarter than I am to do it and release it to the community for free

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The cart is on its way to me. I had to acquire it which wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do considering I already have a Sam Sho 64 Lolol...but it’s too intriguing to pass up.

Maybe it doesn’t work. Maybe it’s a prototype. Maybe it’s the final rom on a test location board. Maybe it’s blank. Worth the gamble considering how often do I get the chance to acquire prototype SNK hardware.

Whatever it is I’ll document it on YT and if it is non-final I’ll figure how to dump it or find someone smarter than I am to do it and release it to the community for free

If it ends up being redundant, I’ve been looking for a SamSho 1 hyper cart for ages.

Perhaps we could strike a deal? ^_^

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If it ends up being redundant, I’ve been looking for a SamSho 1 hyper cart for ages.

Perhaps we could strike a deal? ^_^

I’ll lyk. Honestly I hope it’s a prototype but we will see. I mean it’s def prototype hardware but who knows what’s on the roms themselves. I mean it may not even work

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’ll lyk. Honestly I hope it’s a prototype but we will see. I mean it’s def prototype hardware but who knows what’s on the roms themselves. I mean it may not even work

Totally.

And, I’m interested in the vanilla one, not the proto. I just wanna try part one-even tho, multiple people have tried to assure me that 2 is leagues better.

I have a kusoge appetite, lol.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Totally.

And, I’m interested in the vanilla one, not the proto. I just wanna try part one-even tho, multiple people have tried to assure me that 2 is leagues better.

I have a kusoge appetite, lol.

One is legit too. Don’t let people fool you lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

That is amazing! You are doing God's work!