Strange Puzzle de pon?

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Good friends, I know that mvs-scans does not have all the PCB Revs.

I bought a Japanese Puzzle de pon but im confused about is bootleg or no, it seems original for different reasons, but with eproms on it you never know.

-The welds do not appear altered, they look clean from the factory
-The eproms come with letters painted in Japanese
-The eprom seem different or better than the typical ones in bootleg, in this case they are NEC, Mitsubishi, etc ...

I hope you can get me out of my doubts, thank you!

2R8qlWH.jpg

rMIKIvR.jpg

DVolQ2w.jpg

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Bootleg.

The Toshiba chips have the code of the game it was converted from: 074 - NGH-074 = Aggressors of Dark Kombat

The cart started life as Aggressors, and ended up being made into a Puzzle de Pon. Sad stuffs.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Bootleg.

The Toshiba chips have the code of the game it was converted from: 074 - NGH-074 = Aggressors of Dark Kombat

The cart started life as Aggressors, and ended up being made into a Puzzle de Pon. Sad stuffs.

WOW very bad deal convert a Agressors for puzzle de pon :lolz:, can i program some eproms to come again in to agressors of dark combat in a easy way?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Some pics of the back of the boards would be nice to check the eprom soldering. Bet you can tell they're not factory made.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
WOW very bad deal convert a Agressors for puzzle de pon :lolz:, can i program some eproms to come again in to agressors of dark combat in a easy way?
Yes. Look at a scan of ADK on the gotwalls site. You'll need to reporgram or replace all of the EPROMs on your cart with the correct rom files, depending on the rom sizes. Then check the jumpers in the scans.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Yes. Look at a scan of ADK on the gotwalls site. You'll need to reporgram or replace all of the EPROMs on your cart with the correct rom files, depending on the rom sizes. Then check the jumpers in the scans.

That would be the simple thing, the problem is that in this bootleg they used 1 pcb of agressor of dark kombat and the other pcb of another game that I do not know what it is, since it does not correspond to the AODK.
Which complicates matters to simply program each chip and simply put it in its place.

How does the theme of jumpers work when you have to adapt a game to a board that is not yours?

EDIT:

In this case the only game that match exactly with these two PCB is: Fight Fever - GSC / 256B

Then i could simply program the fight fever chips an put in the respective locations and done?

What eproms uses usually for programing neogeo data of roms?

And for the last why a bootleg/conver it can re-use original chips from other game like this puzzle de pon? it dont cross data? thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That's some nice detective work about the PCB. Unfortunately, there is a lot more to know about replacing the roms. You'll need to do some googling about boards and rom sizes. I'm not sure if that Fight Fever PCB is going to work for converting the game back.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nothing like saccing two halves of two carts to make one bootleg.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Nothing like saccing two halves of two carts to make one bootleg.

Back in the day, when you had to sac two carts to make a convert/boot, Dion classified that as a “Big Game”. Therefor I deem this Puzzle de Pon a Big Game.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
This the only thing that shows us is that puzzle de pon was a game that reported much more money in arcades than an agressor of dark kombat and whatever the other game was sacrificed, the scales of what it was worth 25 years ago seemed very different, less at the level of economic performance.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
OP, are you still interested in converting this to Aggressor of Dark Kombat? I might be able to help.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Indeed. ADK never made money. If you put ADK, Zed Blade, and Blues Journey in a bowling alley four slot with either PdP or Puzzle Bobble I have no doubt that %80 of the money would be earned by the puzzle game. People who play Pulstar don’t bring a stool from the bar into the game room, in other words.
This the only thing that shows us is that puzzle de pon was a game that reported much more money in arcades than an agressor of dark kombat and whatever the other game was sacrificed, the scales of what it was worth 25 years ago seemed very different, less at the level of economic performance

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Awesome, always good to bring back sacrificed carts to what they originally were, even in a repaired state

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I have a Puzzle Bobble that was orignally World Heroes Jet. I'd love to bring it back but does this task involve desoldering chips? Can it be done without de solder?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I have a Puzzle Bobble that was orignally World Heroes Jet. I'd love to bring it back but does this task involve desoldering chips? Can it be done without de solder?
Nope. You must desolder the chips. At the very least the P1 and M1. Really depends on what chips and slots are used on the boards for any given game.