The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My work is definitely feeling the “labor shortage.”

We just upped everyone’s pay $1.50 and have a referral program where you get $250 if you refer some who is hired and they work for 30 days and then another $250 if they stay on 60 and 90 days (so total $750.)

This is for entry level work.

There are a lot of other issues going on of course, but I’ve never seen the staffing so low.

Anyone else?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My work is definitely feeling the “labor shortage.”

We just upped everyone’s pay $1.50 and have a referral program where you get $250 if you refer some who is hired and they work for 30 days and then another $250 if they stay on 60 and 90 days (so total $750.)

This is for entry level work.

There are a lot of other issues going on of course, but I’ve never seen the staffing so low.

Anyone else?
I'm struggling to find a bar manager. I managed to sign a guy up but his old job upped his money and tempted him to stay so he quit before he started. Apparently a lot of people left the industry during the long periods of closure.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Well, fuck me, just got a call from work that one of the nursing staff tested positive for Covid again (probably one of the dumbasses that refuses to get vaccinated) and I must come in by 3 PM to get tested too (I'm off today). I imagine that we're probably going to be locked down for two weeks again as well. 😭

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm struggling to find a bar manager. I managed to sign a guy up but his old job upped his money and tempted him to stay so he quit before he started. Apparently a lot of people left the industry during the long periods of closure.

This is largely true in most of the hospitality industry in the US. People who had worked those jobs for years don't want to go back. It's a relatively low paying, often toxic environment usually only enjoyed by fuckups and people that don't think they can do any better.

For years, people have bought into the Puritanical tradition that undesirable jobs should be the lowest of low paying jobs. Which of course, flies in the face of market economics. For the first time, people don't want those jobs and it will take more money to get people to fill them.

People always talk about McJobs and how people that work them don't deserve a living wage to do that type of work. But how many people would trade the job they have right now to do a McJob (compensation being the same)?

@M

20 Year Member
Well, I was right, the employee in question not only wasn't vaccinated but also just returned from an out-of-state vacation. I recently found out just how many of my co-workers refused to get vaccinated too: 30%. That's not good, especially when we're working with the most vulnerable demographic group. Legally, they can't be forced to get the shots (the Union would also have a fit), and some of them probably do have an allergy or medical condition that prevents it, but, I still think employers in healthcare should have some power to remove employees who potentially endanger patients health/lives, and threaten the operation of the facility itself, by not getting vaccinated.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This is largely true in most of the hospitality industry in the US. People who had worked those jobs for years don't want to go back. It's a relatively low paying, often toxic environment usually only enjoyed by fuckups and people that don't think they can do any better.

For years, people have bought into the Puritanical tradition that undesirable jobs should be the lowest of low paying jobs. Which of course, flies in the face of market economics. For the first time, people don't want those jobs and it will take more money to get people to fill them.

People always talk about McJobs and how people that work them don't deserve a living wage to do that type of work. But how many people would trade the job they have right now to do a McJob (compensation being the same)?

Except that right now the labor market is totally skewed and businesses can't compete with government cheese.

I'd work McD's instead of my job, McD's was easy as shit work.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Except that right now the labor market is totally skewed and businesses can't compete with government cheese.

I'd work McD's instead of my job, McD's was easy as shit work.
Is it really? I feel like the less people get paid, the more shit get hoisted onto their plates.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There's no real evidence of this. It takes time to find, hire and train employees. Millionaires whining on the news about not being able to exploit people for slave wages are disgusting. They only like having a "free market" when it's rigged in their favor.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
There's no real evidence of this. It takes time to find, hire and train employees. Millionaires whining on the news about not being able to exploit people for slave wages are disgusting. They only like having a "free market" when it's rigged in their favor.

Work is voluntary.

@M

20 Year Member
I forgot to mention that you don't have to wear masks in stores, banks, etc. anymore if you're fully vaccinated in Michigan now (still have to wear them if you aren't, but, it's not like they're checking for vaccination papers or anything). I've been forgetting and wearing it anyway, out of force of habit, but, I finally grocery shopped without a mask for the first time in probably over a year this morning, allowing me to flourish my new, sexy mustache to the general public (nobody vomited or miscarried).

On the downside, I popped into work, for my weekly Covid test, and we're on lockdown again--another of my co-workers tested positive.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There is evidence that it is happening but the evidence is not enough to explain the issues in the overall job market. I have heard from multiple contractors that their seasonal workers refused to come in and cited UI benefits as the reason. I have seen many crews running understaffed because they can't get workers, but I do not think UI benefits being what they are is the sole reason for it. For the most recent one I talked to, he said 1 wanted to stay home and take UI, 2 had to be fired for not showing up, and another had a mental breakdown and took a leave of absense.

As far as in the service industry, I am not sure. One cosmonaut I talked to last week said they were having staffing issues because the corporate office lowered the wages during the pandemic and was not competitve in their market. And that all the retail stuff was cancelled. They were running on oppointment only becuase they only had enough employees for 1 person to work at a time.

I'm sure if we heard inside stories from many industries about their staffing issues, we'd see it is a wide range of reasons, but certainly there are some people who would rather sit at home and take free money from the government.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
We can create another thread on the slow death of benefits and wages for the average American in another thread, Thank You.

@SouthtownKid, how do most Japanese feel about having the Olympics?

@M

20 Year Member
On Tuesday, the 1st, Covid restrictions were eased in Michigan. No restrictions on outdoor gatherings, bars/restaurants can be open later than 11PM again, but, can still only be at 50% capacity (and there are no limits on how many people can sit together at a table now). Supposedly, barring a bad outbreak, all restrictions will be lifted on July 1st and life will return to pre-pandemic paradise. I dearly hope so...

Only 58.6% of Michiganders, over 16, have been vaccinated so far.

@M

20 Year Member
Went to church tonight and you don't have to wear masks there now either, provided you're vaccinated. Unless you sing, then the mask goes back on. Da fuk? Yeah, aerosols and shit, but, if you're vaccinated anyway, what's the difference?

Pastor noticed that I'm a troubled soul too, and asked me if there was anything he could help me with, but, M is way beyond your help, Father, anybody's help really, thank you anyway. Even Jeebus won't touch dis shit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm thinking of traveling to Wuhan for a daytrip just to get a picture in front of the now-closed wet market.

Chinese now are quick to point out that covid was found in Italian sewers that dated to September 2019. Yeah, whatever.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Are you talking about constructive slavery, where the conditions of society render people no choice but to work, or be punished severely?