Hot takes

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Matrimelee has more personality than any other fighting game on Neo Geo
Feels very unfinished. Especially the midboss battle. Something always off about that part.
Also, the move sets feel incomplete.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If SNK had truly died, and I mean really died with that bankruptcy in 2000, with no games made after 2000 PERIOD, then we could view Slug 3 the way it was meant to be seen - not only the swan song of the Neo-Geo, but of the company itself.

Alas, SNK is still alive in the year 2021 and still making games. And that mucked it up.

But there is a parallel reality where SNK truly died in 2000, and on that world the people appreciate Slug 3 a bit more, with how much blood sweat and tears went into making the game knowing this was to be their last one, and wish SNK could have lived on and wondered what games they would have made.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm Canadian, your words have no power over me. You Americans can shit on all the apple pies you want. NTM is still extremely overrated.

I'd say MOTW is a tiny bit overrated. It's great, but it's not the best fighter on the entire console. RB2, LB2, KOF 98, even Waku Waku 7 are just as good if not a bit better.
Might as well take a dump on a plate of poutine and piss in some maple syrup.

I'm curious which Neo games you feel are the best then.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If SNK had truly died, and I mean really died with that bankruptcy in 2000, with no games made after 2000 PERIOD, then we could view Slug 3 the way it was meant to be seen - not only the swan song of the Neo-Geo, but of the company itself.

Alas, SNK is still alive in the year 2021 and still making games. And that mucked it up.

But there is a parallel reality where SNK truly died in 2000, and on that world the people appreciate Slug 3 a bit more, with how much blood sweat and tears went into making the game knowing this was to be their last one, and wish SNK could have lived on and wondered what games they would have made.

Absolutely. Series should have ended with 3 and it would have been one hell of a finale.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

💯👑

I figure these emoji are as close to awards as we have...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Slug 3 does feel that way, and it was indeed one of the swan songs of the original SNK. The first 3 (or 4) games are the original trilogy. Still though, I don't regret that more got made after that.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I honestly had more fun playing the Xbox port before I got the MVS cart. I'd usually play it in two sittings, and that improved the game significantly.

Is there a version of this game that doesn’t support saving at every level?

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Matrimelee has more personality than any other fighting game on Neo Geo
This is a matter of fact and if it wasn't for Last Blade 2 and KoF98 I'd go as far as saying that it is the best fighting game on the Neo.

Spoiler:
This is the hot take thread, so I can take my useless, pointless and shitty opinion and say that it is a hot take, right?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The MVS cart if you aren't dying all the time.

You have to die to save, yes, but it saves every level, like almost every Neo game and most versions of Slug that I've played even on other systems. When you are tired you walk off a cliff or something and save.

If you are saving states or something...that may be why it feels more like a console experience...and why you never build up the endurance to beat it in a single sitting.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Magician Lord is one of the best games on Neo Geo.

Also, Last Blade is a better game than Last Blade 2.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Might as well take a dump on a plate of poutine and piss in some maple syrup.

I'm curious which Neo games you feel are the best then.

most of my favorites are the same as the common opinions. The only major difference is I feel NTM doesn’t deserve the extreme praise it gets while its sister game TPG gets routinely shit on.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
most of my favorites are the same as the common opinions. The only major difference is I feel NTM doesn’t deserve the extreme praise it gets while its sister game TPG gets routinely shit on.
The reason you don't like it (being easy to pick up and play) is a big reason why it gets so much praise.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Neo Turfmasters may not be perfect, but it's consistently a top-rated game for the console. It seems to very often make players' top 5. When I think of how many times I've fired the game up, it's hard to discount how good of a golf game it is.

I don't get the comment about hand-holding. The challenge ramps up considerably as the courses progress. The fact that it's very pick-up-and-play is to the game's credit.
NTM is great, and like a lot of arcade games, only the beginning few holes are particularly easy.
Saying Neo Turfmasters isn't good on a Neo Geo forum is like visiting America and taking a dump on an apple pie. What's next? Mark of the Wolves is overrated? (Might as well punch a bald eagle.)
The reason you don't like it (being easy to pick up and play) is a big reason why it gets so much praise.
54dA4Ca.gif

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
NTM is great, and like a lot of arcade games, only the beginning few holes are particularly easy.
Not trying to kick a dead horse but...the same can be said about roker's mom...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yes, NTM is overrated... if you talk about its price. Otherwise this argument:
I realize not everyone likes a decent challenge in a golf game, but NTM always makes me feel like a child.
...nails it: Yes, it's a golf game that made simplicity ingenious. Two clicks for power & height, sometimes hooked or sliced, the wind as an unpredictable ingredient and golf avatars which really deserve to be called characters. The rest is an audio-visual sprite feast, even a bit Zen, too.

It's so simple to make things complicated, it's never easy the other way and make complicated things simple. It's what Tetris gave to puzzle games, Bomberman to multiplayer and NTM to the golf genre. Easy to learn, hard to master. Remember? Just catch up with your inner child.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Yes, NTM is overrated... if you talk about its price. Otherwise this argument:

...nails it: Yes, it's a golf game that made simplicity ingenious. Two clicks for power & height, sometimes hooked or sliced, the wind as an unpredictable ingredient and golf avatars which really deserve to be called characters. The rest is an audio-visual sprite feast, even a bit Zen, too.

It's so simple to make things complicated, it's never easy the other way and make complicated things simple. It's what Tetris gave to puzzle games, Bomberman to multiplayer and NTM to the golf genre. Easy to learn, hard to master. Remember? Just catch up with your inner child.
I came for a sophisticated post. Wasn't dissapointed. ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yuki’s stage in LB was never topped nor even matched in LB2.

also, Hyper Kagami was way more frustrating as a boss that Kouryo.