Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Malignant
I couldn't finish it. Concept would be great if they ran with it / made it a Troma-style B-movie.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Dune looks to be on track for success in Europe. Deadline projecting it will open this weekend (limited markets) in the mid 20-something million dollar range. In like for like markets Black Widow did 22.8 million. It did 373 million world wide and didn't get a Chinese release, which Dune will.

In Russia, Dune is having the best pre-sales Post CoVID for any Hollywood movie with $250K sold & over a day still to go. F9 had final sales of $350K, Dune can go $500K+ or even $600K, biggest since Far From Home in July 2019 which opened with $9.5M weekend.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Expecting $30M+ opening weekend for Dune in Europe + East Asia markets, possibly $35M range. In comparison, Blade Runner 2049 opened with $28M in 2017 in the same set of markets.

Blade Runner finished at 261 million globally and was considered a flop at the time, but if this movie does 261 million it'll be considered a big success given COVID and HBO Max. Also Blade Runner cost 185-200 million to make, Dune cost 165.

EDIT: the analyst corrected himself: Blade Runner actually did 24 million in these markets, not 28

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Blade Runner finished at 261 million globally and was considered a flop at the time, but if this movie does 261 million it'll be considered a big success given COVID and HBO Max. Also Blade Runner cost 185-200 million to make, Dune cost 165.
You're already setting up conditions whereby even if Dune fails, you'll be able to claim it's successful.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You're already setting up conditions whereby even if Dune fails, you'll be able to claim it's successful.
It's already a success if it does the numbers these analysts are projecting.

But yes, the pandemic and HBO Max have changed things. Generally a movie needs to make back 2-3X its budget to be successful.

Mortal Kombat only made back 1.8X its budget but it's getting multiple sequels due to HBO Max.

Suicide Squad did 165 million dollars on a 185 million dollar budget but was considered a success due to HBO.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Why exactly do you care about all these figures? You talk about them like you have some sort of vested interest, as if these movies box-office performance somehow directly impacts your life or financial well being.

You act like if a movie is successful somehow you win something. Like a sports fans talk about teams.

Not just Dune. You do it with all of them and it's weird. Are you betting on these?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Why exactly do you care about all these figures? You talk about them like you have some sort of vested interest, as if these movies box-office performance somehow directly impacts your life or financial well being.

You act like if a movie is successful somehow you win something. Like a sports fans talk about teams.

Not just Dune. You do it with all of them and it's weird. Are you betting on these?
I want movies that I like to do well so sequels get made, and/or the directors get greenlit to make different movies. It's that simple.

The only ones I can recall doing this for were Godzilla vs Kong and Dune, though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
How much are they charging on HBO Max for a new release? As a single guy I'm sure for me it's cheaper to go to the actual theater.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They're included with the basic service, well the WB new releases are.

famicommander

15 Year Member
How much are they charging on HBO Max for a new release? As a single guy I'm sure for me it's cheaper to go to the actual theater.
They don't charge extra. Once you subscribe you get all their theatrical movies day and date for no additional cost, but it's only for the rest of 2021.

Remaining films for 2021:
Cry Macho 9/17
The Many Saints of Newark 10/1
Dune 10/22
King Richard 11/19
8-Bit Christmas 11/25
The Matrix Resurrections 12/22

In 2022 movies will go to HBO Max after a 45 day exclusive theatrical window.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They don't charge extra. Once you subscribe you get all their theatrical movies day and date for no additional cost, but it's only for the rest of 2021.

Remaining films for 2021:
Cry Macho 9/17
The Many Saints of Newark 10/1
Dune 10/22
King Richard 11/19
8-Bit Christmas 11/25
The Matrix Resurrections 12/22

In 2022 movies will go to HBO Max after a 45 day exclusive theatrical window.

Ah so it’s not like D+ releases.

How are they determining HBO Max is adding to profits? Is there advertising on HBO Max? Are they counting sub fees?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Every movie would be a success if they did the numbers analysts projected.
These projections are based on early ticket sales and sneak previews in those respective countries. This isn't a blind projection 5 months out.

This will all be settled when Dune: Part 2 is greenlit before the end of the year. And it will be.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ah so it’s not like D+ releases.

How are they determining HBO Max is adding to profits? Is there advertising on HBO Max? Are they counting sub fees?
They haven't told us exactly how many streams equals X amount of dollars. Warner Brothers simply factors in the overall viewership on HBO Max and the number of subscriptions added in a month when evaluating the success of a movie.

Variety has indicated that there are specific HBO viewership targets tied to how WB views Dune's US box office results but they haven't said exactly what those are.

We just know that they have greenlit two sequels to Mortal Kombat, which by normal box office math would be considered a total bomb, based on about 5 million people streaming it in the first 17 days on HBO Max.

Going by the box office math The Suicide Squad was a colossal bomb but all indications internally are that WB is happy with the results because it was super popular on HBO. I'm not sure if that means it generated a tangible amount of money or if that simply means that WB is happy eating whatever losses in order to hook people on the streaming service long term.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fright Night- I totally forgot that the GF is the same woman that played the annoying neighbor on Married with Children. Now I wish we could get a proper release of the sequel here in the US.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fright Night(remake)- Honestly aside from the over used and sometime un-necessary not so great CG I don't really have any complaints for this one. Cast is solid, it's not insulting to the original, and the pacing and script are snappy.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Plus that folky-pop version of 99 Problems they play during the end credits was crazy good.

Watched The Martian for the first time since it came out. Andy Weir's new book was really good and my parents were in town and had never seen it so what the hell. Remains a solid, workman-like movie. No frills, no crazy angle, no stunt casting... just a good old-fashioned saving Matt Damon movie. I don't know that I'd call it a home run so much as a solid double. I had completely forgotten Ridley Scott directed it. That man's career is certainly all over the place: Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise, Gladiator with commercials, documentaries, television stuff, director-for-hire paycheck gigs and big stinky turds mixed throughout. The man works.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Cross of Iron (1977) - I didn't have high hopes for it but it was surprisingly good. Most of the movie is a battlefield and done very well for the time, highly recommend. It is from the German perspective despite being entirely in English.

The Bridge at Remagen (1969) - Quite good for it's time, as the name states it's mostly about taking a bridge. Worth a watch.

Saw II - I dunno why I watch these films but this one was crap, the first one was better strangely enough. :unsure:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Cross of Iron (1977) - I didn't have high hopes for it but it was surprisingly good. Most of the movie is a battlefield and done very well for the time, highly recommend. It is from the German perspective despite being entirely in English.

The Bridge at Remagen (1969) - Quite good for it's time, as the name states it's mostly about taking a bridge. Worth a watch.
Are you watching movies at an old folks home? What's up with war movies?