Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Ok I need the source of that handcam footage now. :lolz:

Seems like in every basketball game they were more focused on wowing people through magazine shots with those close ups, than the game itself. Taking it to the Hoop is average at best.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So Aicom did a lot of basketball games prior to Dunk Star? Interesting. It was also kind of hilarious hearing Chad Okada saying Dunk Star shouldn't be finished. Looking forward to the insult that is Legend of Success Joe...
Was he saying it shouldn't be finished? I think he was just hoping they would fix it.

Ok I need the source of that handcam footage now. :lolz:

Seems like in every basketball game they were more focused on wowing people through magazine shots with those close ups, than the game itself. Taking it to the Hoop is average at best.

Here's the original video:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
yeah, good luck with Legend of Success Joe next. I don't have much to share on it myself in terms of gameplay tips but chuboh has a 1CC video that shows some good strats for making it through the game

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Now that I think about it... Besides the ads, was there ever an arcade flyer for Legend of Success Joe? I've seen two flyers for Fight Fiver (North American and Japanese) but not one for Joe, even in Japanese. Just curious...

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict
Thanks for all the interesting videos, and the information on the unreleased titles in particular! Much appreciated.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
It was 1991, not 1961. The AMOA show was attended by journalists and other industry professionals.
Now that I think of it, my dad had a camcorder probably around that time. I wonder, could the person with the Dunk Star proto also have the Mystic Wand one seeing as they were at the same show? Anyhow, I think Dunk Star looks kinda cool but obviously, it was far from the best Neo Geo sports game.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Now that I think of it, my dad had a camcorder probably around that time. I wonder, could the person with the Dunk Star proto also have the Mystic Wand one seeing as they were at the same show? Anyhow, I think Dunk Star looks kinda cool but obviously, it was far from the best Neo Geo sports game.
I doubt it. SNK just seemed to have them playing from a tape at the show. The Dunk Star footage is followed by Legend of Success Joe. It was just cycling through footage of the games.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I could say "but what if they had a special MVS unit with a showroom bios that cycled directly into each cart's attract mode" but if that existed we'd probably have seen it by now

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Now that I think about it... Besides the ads, was there ever an arcade flyer for Legend of Success Joe? I've seen two flyers for Fight Fiver (North American and Japanese) but not one for Joe, even in Japanese. Just curious...

I have a Japanese ad for Legend of Success Joe. I can search for it and post it here if your interested in seeing it.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
The "caliber" of the IP in question that was borrowed for the game, and the caliber of the platform itself is what makes Legend of Success Joe (even the world title is weird!) so enigmatic and interesting. I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole outside of emulation, but I can't help but admire it from a healthy distance, you guys know what I mean?

Some aspects of it are so bad you'd have to do it on purpose to replicate it, and yet it's a Neo-Geo game that even got a home release, and if Wikipedia is to be believed, it actually ranked Top 10 in the coin-op business in Japan. How?!? Neo Alec you better put some extra effort in this episode, I know you'll make this game justice.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
The "caliber" of the IP in question that was borrowed for the game, and the caliber of the platform itself is what makes Legend of Success Joe (even the world title is weird!) so enigmatic and interesting. I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole outside of emulation, but I can't help but admire it from a healthy distance, you guys know what I mean?

Some aspects of it are so bad you'd have to do it on purpose to replicate it, and yet it's a Neo-Geo game that even got a home release, and if Wikipedia is to be believed, it actually ranked Top 10 in the coin-op business in Japan. How?!? Neo Alec you better put some extra effort in this episode, I know you'll make this game justice.
You might actually blame me for that tidbit of info at Wikipedia. You see, I began a little project at Wikipedia regarding Game Machine (an arcade magazine similar to RePlay and Play Meter) last year, which consisted of looking which arcade games managed to reach the top 25 titles in Japan, starting from the 1983 up until the last issue of the magazine.

Like you, i was surprised when I found out that the turd known as Legend of Success Joe managed to rank in that top list. What the hell were Japanese arcade players thinking this was a good game? I don't know but the license certainly did attract people due to its popularity in the country among manga readers.

(P.S.: I highly recommend checking out Game Machine. There's some really good stuff about the old arcade scene in Japan, if you can read the language.)

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
This is the best I can do for now. But I can definitely provide a much better and higher resolution scan later.

View attachment 50586
Is the name of the artist of this illustration written on the inside of the page?

The stroke doesn't seem to belong to the original cartoonist (Tetsuya Chiba), who created the cover of the AES version, nor does it seem to come from the one who drew the episodes of the anime (Akio Sugino).

Anyway, thanks the same for sharing.

You might actually blame me for that tidbit of info at Wikipedia. You see, I began a little project at Wikipedia regarding Game Machine (an arcade magazine similar to RePlay and Play Meter) last year, which consisted of looking which arcade games managed to reach the top 25 titles in Japan, starting from the 1983 up until the last issue of the magazine.

Like you, i was surprised when I found out that the turd known as Legend of Success Joe managed to rank in that top list. What the hell were Japanese arcade players thinking this was a good game? I don't know but the license certainly did attract people due to its popularity in the country among manga readers.

(P.S.: I highly recommend checking out Game Machine. There's some really good stuff about the old arcade scene in Japan, if you can read the language.)
Are we sure that these sales figures don't also concern the other two arcade games dedicated to 'Ashita no Joe'? (Such as the one produced by Taito in 1990 and the other than Konami of the 2001).

U1nmgkn.png

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Is the name of the artist of this illustration written on the inside of the page?

The stroke doesn't seem to belong to the original cartoonist (Tetsuya Chiba), who created the cover of the AES version, nor does it seem to come from the one who drew the episodes of the anime (Akio Sugino).

Anyway, thanks the same for sharing.

Are we sure that these sales figures don't also concern the other two arcade games dedicated to 'Ashita no Joe'? (Such as the one produced by Taito in 1990 and the other than Konami of the 2001).

U1nmgkn.png
No, because Game Machine also lists the manufacturer in that list of popular titles. I'll leave a link to the issue were Ashita no Joe for Neo Geo appears: https://onitama.tv/gamemachine/pdf/19900815p.pdf

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Was that a trade publication? Lots of BW pages and arcade ads.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes. Game Machine was a Japanese Arcade Industry publication. Smaller in size then our American Replay or Play Meter magazines, but published more frequently, twice a month as opposed to monthly.

The issues did however feature some articles that were written in English as well. And USA advertisers would place ads for their games as well, complete with Japanese text.

The magazine was also a hybrid, as many Japanese publications were, presented with both b/w and color articles and advertisements. And it even occasionally discussed the home console market as well, with news & reports on those trade shows as well, such as the CES. So it really had a little bit of everything for everyone.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
LEGEND OF JOE. HOSER MENDOSE.

The Neo-Geo's resizing logic only shrinks sprites, not enlarge them, so Wave had the blown up low-res close-ups at the end of each boxing ring stage look like that because they were lazy. You'd think they would draw higher res art there closer to the original source material to take advantage of the fact that you're just playing back a canned animation instead of an actual replay to enhance the game a bit. Not that anything else isn't poorly built in this game but I thought that was interesting.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Good point. It isn't that noticeable because the presentation isn't very good to begin with.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Legend of Success Joe is up.

I want a dinner box lol ! I've heard the horror stories for how terrible legend of success joe is i'm glad i never pickup the game to begin with.Damn it doesn't even stake advantage of the hardware it's graphics&sound remind more of a poorly made sega genesis game.