The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That was my point in criticizing the fear mongering headline. It actually suggests that 'exposed children' are infected by calling them asymptomatic. Being asymptomatic means you are sick but show no symptoms. Being called asymptomatic as the default condition of life is like saying you're tired when you're asleep or sober when you were never drunk. It just doesn't make sense contextually.

Headlines should never be considered to be part of the story as they are not written by the authors and are not subject to the same editorial standards.

My problem isn't with the headline, it is with the policy. It is sheer insanity.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I love when people talk casually about homeschooling with no idea of what a major undertaking it is.

My comments have to be taken in context with Stevvie-K's asinine attempt to score points.

By homeschooling, I mean help them with thier teacher assigned work because I will have to be home anyways.

I have no desire to actually homeschool. I have no desire to prepare lessons, assignments, curricula and enforce structure. That's what I pay taxes for.

I focus my efforts on deprograming them from the crap they are taught in school.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Your devotion to the Goddess Fio does not go unnoticed, moe-san. She's airmailing an autographed and only slightly used brassiere to you in appreciation (clasp and straps are broken though, modern science has yet to work out the physics of successfully restraining her bouncing melons while she's sprinting).

DO NOT let Mrs. Moe see or open the package. Trust me on this!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My comments have to be taken in context with Stevvie-K's asinine attempt to score points.

By homeschooling, I mean help them with thier teacher assigned work because I will have to be home anyways.

I have no desire to actually homeschool. I have no desire to prepare lessons, assignments, curricula and enforce structure. That's what I pay taxes for.

I focus my efforts on deprograming them from the crap they are taught in school.
You call it asinine but I'm merely establishing a character profile.

When all is said and done, and we cut through all the noise in here, what it really boils down to is that you think that everyone else is selfish and you're not.

And yet you're going to concerts, waddling around at 300lbs telling everyone to keep hospitals clear for you and crossing your own red lines to keep your own kids safe because you're lazy. Selfish action after selfish action.

I'm not telling people what to do like you are, I'm just pointing out that what you're saying won't work, and it's because you're right, everyone is selfish. Everyone has different goalposts and everyone thinks they're right. Most other people completely lack self awareness too.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I am selfish. I wear a ported N95 mask in places where masking isn't required.

And yeah, I go to outdoor concerts where community spread is low. So what?????

And yes, quarantining those that have been exposed DOES WORK>

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You call it asinine but I'm merely establishing a character profile.

When all is said and done, and we cut through all the noise in here, what it really boils down to is that you think that everyone else is selfish and you're not.

And yet you're going to concerts, waddling around at 300lbs telling everyone to keep hospitals clear for you and crossing your own red lines to keep your own kids safe because you're lazy. Selfish action after selfish action.

I'm not telling people what to do like you are, I'm just pointing out that what you're saying won't work, and it's because you're right, everyone is selfish. Everyone has different goalposts and everyone thinks they're right. Most other people completely lack self awareness too.
It is clear that you are trying to make all-or-nothing statements to try and negate even a modicum of personal responsibility.

No one is fooled here.

If people cannot encourage each other to increase their standard of care, as your posts intend, the situation for humanity will deteriorate rapidly. We expected chaos to rapidly hit highly populated areas. We are seeing this play out in less congested politically conservative states 18 months later. The laissez faire approach to containment has failed. The only people still raging for it will eventually see their supporters expire.

StevenK

10 Year Member
It is clear that you are trying to make all-or-nothing statements to try and negate even a modicum of personal responsibility.

No one is fooled here.

If people cannot encourage each other to increase their standard of care, as your posts intend, the situation for humanity will deteriorate rapidly. We expected chaos to rapidly hit highly populated areas. We are seeing this play out in less congested politically conservative states 18 months later. The laissez faire approach to containment has failed. The only people still raging for it will eventually see their supporters expire.
If you think that being lectured by a pompous hippocrite like norton or being threatened to agree precisely or be attacked by you is encouragement then you're mistaken. My position is extremely close to both of you on this but I'm not going to have my 5% divergence belittled by two people with completely different life circumstances who refuse to see everyone isn't them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you think that being lectured by a pompous hippocrite like norton or being threatened to agree precisely or be attacked by you is encouragement then you're mistaken. My position is extremely close to both of you on this but I'm not going to have my 5% divergence belittled by two people with completely different life circumstances who refuse to see everyone isn't them.
I do not expect anyone here to simply bend. Feeling bullied on a video game site for a minimal 5% divergence sounds silly though.

If your 5% divergence is a big deal, why? Why do you present that 5% difference as a reason to “live and let live” - opening the gates for 100% divergence?

When there is a smoking section on an airplane, there is no legitimate non-smoking section.

If your actions create more risk for people around you, why do you deserve impunity?

and if it’s only 5%, why are you fighting like it’s 100%?

StevenK

10 Year Member
I do not expect anyone here to simply bend. Feeling bullied on a video game site for a minimal 5% divergence sounds silly though.

If your 5% divergence is a big deal, why? Why do you present that 5% difference as a reason to “live and let live” - opening the gates for 100% divergence?

and if it’s only 5%, why are you fighting like it’s 100%?
I don't feel bullied, I thought I was just matching tone, getting into the spirit of things.
If your actions create more risk for people around you, why do you deserve impunity?
Because everyone's necessary risk profile is as different as their fingerprint.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I am not a hypocrite. I am an annoying know-it-all asshole.

All the whataboutism in the world won't make me a hypocrite.

FOLLOW THE SCIENCE.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I will keep my kids at home if they are exposed and need to quarantine.
I expect others to do the same.

No hypocrisy.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of safety.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If our State Surgeon General suddenly said "Hey, kids who are exposed don't need to quarantine as long as they are presymptomatic/asymptomatic/god-knows-what", I would think twice about sending my kids to school.

Florida's policy is reckless. It was put in place by a guy who the last time we saw him was pitching hydroxychloroquine.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Because everyone's necessary risk profile is as different as their fingerprint.
There are bare minimums. You are not promoting safety. You should stop and think about what you say, and how ignorant it is, before someone listens and gets hurt.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It sounds like we’re just in disagreement with how we determine an acceptable level of risk? Does the American Federal government actually have a metric? Does the CDC? Is it based on hospital capacity (and if so is that a good metric - particularly if almost all of the cases are adults who have access to a vaccine but declined to get it?)

My hope is that once vaccinations for school aged children are available that governments will cease lockdowns and mandates in the name of public safety because the risk will be considered to be significantly decreased.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You should stop and think about what you say, and how ignorant it is, before someone listens and gets hurt.

Before someone gets hurt? That never stopped an American politician or many American media outlets :emb:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You wanna know what we have planned for my 4 year old's next birthday?

A covid shot.

StevenK

10 Year Member
There are bare minimums. You are not promoting safety. You should stop and think about what you say, and how ignorant it is, before someone listens and gets hurt.
Explain to Norton why he's wrong about concerts

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes, I took my kids to an outdoor concert in a county that has moderate community spread.

I guess that makes me a hypocrite because I don't want my kids spending 7 hours a day in an elementary classroom with someone has has a known exposure.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Explain to Norton why he's wrong about concerts
I’m sure he knows. I have no idea why a parent takes their kid to a concert regardless. Music is vile and the virus is dangerous. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

• Haha
Reactions: wyo