Official NG.com Dune: Part One Thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nah but if that's what you need to tell yourself go right ahead.
All I wanted out of this was to troll basic and to see the movie do well enough to get the sequel made. I failed to troll basic but I pissed off half the forum so mission accomplished.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fanny, the more you robotically talk about Dune with a vengeance, and the more you keep using anything you read and see about it to justify your fanboy obsession, the more you reveal how much of a simpleton you are. And then you will quote yourself apparently and create a feedback loop . Not sure what your point is.

The fact that you wrote all that justifies everything I've said in this thread. You're mad at me for being invested in the outcome of this movie but you're willing to post a wall of text because I said a shitty movie was shitty.

I'm not mad at you, dumbass. I'm telling you about your life. I wrote a few small paragraphs about why your horrible taste and lack of awareness for the arts is the core of your strange plebian, consumer media-oriented pathology. If you understood this, you would probably see why the things being said around you by real people about even Lynch's Dune, are worth listening to, much more than the ammunition-type hate fuel you clog your brain with in an effort to be persistent about it just for the sake of it.

I'm not convinced you actually hate Lynch's Dune. I think you have a low opinion of David Lynch and you decided to have this opinion in preparation for your argument style when you decided that the new Dune film is your favorite thing in the world. It seems like your parroting people in the industry who you think can't possibly be wrong, and that's not really how it works. It seems like you are fine with seeming like a dumbass though carry on I guess.

It annoys me when people don't approach works of art in earnest from within before taking up a sword and shield for it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fanny, the more you robotically talk about Dune with a vengeance, and the more you keep using anything you read and see about it to justify your fanboy obsession, the more you reveal how much of a simpleton you are. And then you will quote yourself apparently and create a feedback loop . Not sure what your point is.

I'm not mad at you, dumbass. I'm telling you about your life. I wrote a few small paragraphs about why your horrible taste and lack of awareness for the arts is the core of your strange plebian, consumer media-oriented pathology. If you understood this, you would probably see why the things being said around you by real people about even Lynch's Dune, are worth listening to, much more than the ammunition-type hate fuel you clog your brain with in an effort to be persistent about it just for the sake of it.

I'm not convinced you actually hate Lynch's Dune. I think you have a low opinion of David Lynch and you decided to have this opinion in preparation for your argument style when you decided that the new Dune film is your favorite thing in the world. It seems like your parroting people in the industry who you think can't possibly be wrong, and that's not really how it works. It seems like you are fine with seeming like a dumbass though carry on I guess.

It annoys me when people don't approach works of art in earnest from within before taking up a sword and shield for it.
Lynch's Dune still sucks and you still mad.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
"I was trolling the whole time, you guys are mad and stupid " vs. "I'm an obsessive sci-fi nerd with no job and I am actually obsessed with Dune and STK makes me so fucking mad"

Classic move but definitely doesn't add up, sperg boy

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It seems like your parroting people in the industry who you think can't possibly be wrong, and that's not really how it works. It seems like you are fine with seeming like a dumbass though carry on I guess.
75% of the shit he spouts here is just taken directly from those stupid Screen Rant videos he's so fond of.

famicommander

15 Year Member
"I was trolling the whole time, you guys are mad and stupid " vs. "I'm an obsessive sci-fi nerd with no job and I am actually obsessed with Dune and STK makes me so fucking mad"

Classic move but definitely doesn't add up, sperg boy

My enthusiasm for Dune is real. I loved the book and I liked the movie. But I have been intentionally over-sharing and intentionally going out of my way to shit on Lynch's shitty Dune because of the reactions I've been getting. This me vs basic on Dune thing has been going on since before you even joined the Discord. I'd been trying to wear him down but instead I got ten sandy vaginas all riled up.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'd been trying to wear him down but instead I got ten sandy vaginas all riled up.
Yeah right lol. If anything I think STK and basic are the ones who took you for a ride (and therefore screwed us all over by proxy) just by challenging Dune's success and slowly humiliating you with your own unhinged Dune droning, respectively. it's understandable that you are humiliated but you did not do much besides get very upset and intense about a stupid sci-fi HBO turd

famicommander

15 Year Member
I got everything I could possibly have wanted out of this and more.

The best part is there'll be another one coming in a few years. We can keep this going.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
no one is going to believe you were running a Dune tard long con on the forum, the punchline is nowhere to be found. if you were really that self-aware then there'd be a lot less walls of text about gay wrestling shit or tragic softball olympic arguments with STK or whatever

famicommander

15 Year Member
no one is going to believe you were running a Dune tard long con on the forum, the punchline is nowhere to be found. if you were really that self-aware then there'd be a lot less walls of text about gay wrestling shit or tragic softball olympic arguments with STK or whatever
Believe what you want, but read my posts and read your posts in this thread and see who mad. I'm the Dune nerd but you've got a thesis is this topic.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
All I wanted out of this was to troll basic and to see the movie do well enough to get the sequel made. I failed to troll basic but I pissed off half the forum so mission accomplished.
No one is mad. We just feel sorry for you.
Great actors with rigid and awkward dialogue. None of them even had a chance to act.
This, so much. Even Oscar Isaac, who I thought was the most promising casting of the new bunch, really underperformed. He's given plenty of screentime and still doesn't get to act much. Brolin just shouts in lieu of acting for most of the movie. Rebecca Ferguson is fucking awful as Lady Jessica. She brings nothing of the character to the screen. Her version of Lady Jessica has zero strength and spends the entire movie with a bewildered expression except for the times she's crying. So for the 2% of the story where she's supposed to be bewildered, she's wonderful. But then the other 98% she's terrible.

It's a millenial take on the story in that this movie, like Lynch's, starts with a long voice over. But instead of using the voice over to set up the universe and politics, providing a primer for the uninitiated among the audience, Villeneuve's opening voice over is about a character's feeeeeeeelings about the universe. Fucking pointless and redundant. That is easily shown without voice over. It was also a mistake not to involve the Emperor in the story in any way. Everything regarding the story's politics comes as second hand, often throw away dialogue from other characters, which is really not going to help viewers new to the franchise understand what's going on.

Liet Kynes is easily the biggest misstep in the movie. Even more than Ferguson's Lady Jessica, Duncan-Brewster captures nothing of the character's intelligence or strength. This is a case where I would have felt sorry for any actor trying to live up to Max von Sydow, but that doesn't mean the solution is to go in the complete opposite direction. And since we don't have any internal monologue to rely on, they actually have her cry at one point, to show she sympathizes with the "good guys", since they managed not to convey that in any other way up to that point. Fucking awful.

Here's a sidebar question: Why, when there is only one actor of Asian descent in the movie, is his character the ONLY ONE IN THE MOVIE with a crazy over the top, almost cartoony accent? It's an international cast set in a far future universe. Is he supposed to come from Planet Asia or something? It doesn't kill the movie or anything, but it was a head-scratcher and a little distracting sometimes.

And hey, did anyone notice that Paul never once in the movie recites the "Fear is the mind killer..." thing? He did in the trailer but not in the actual movie. Since there was no inner monologue, he kind of got fucked here. So their solution was in the scene where it was vital he be thinking it during the Reverend Mother's test, they have Lady Jessica recite it to herself OUT LOUD outside the door while crying, and with constant intercuts back to Paul... to hopefully give the impression somehow that he's also thinking of the quote. Fucking laughably bad.

And hey, what's another thing Lynch managed to get right that Villeneuve skips over, IN SPITE OF THE SUPER LONG RUNTIME? Princess Irulan! If Villeneuve handled the traitor subplot completely incompetently, get ready for another very important plot point that's going to come out of nowhere when he suddenly has her show up out of the blue.

The more Villeneuve's movie sinks in, the more it really feels like a pretty-looking shitshow. If Lynch hadn't botched his ending so bad, I would say he made a better Dune movie by accident than Villeneuve did while trying his harderst.

Now for some good things about the new movie:

Henderson as Thufir was wonderful. Absolutely perfect.

I've heard a lot of people say Zendaya is talentless. I don't agree. She's no Meryl Streep or anything, but she's a gigantic step up from Sean Young. It's not even close. She has a perfect look and voice for the character.

Zimmer is always very solid, but this has to be far and away his most ambitious film score. It doesn't always work, and about 50% of the time it gets kind of obnoxious, but I really admire his swinging for the fences. It's a fucking ballsy score.

Chalamet was fine. Not great, but acceptable. All the things that make him perfect for a Wes Anderson movie make him not great for anything else. But I can't think of a single currently-working actor in his age range who would have done any better. So whatever.

I was really glad they included all the bull imagery (even if Isaac's relaying of his father's story was horribly told). It felt like this movie missed a lot of other things, so it was nice to see them get something right.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
the real question for me is, is dune 2021 better than prometheus?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Dear Last Monday LS, look what Wednesday Night LS saw at a mall
View attachment 52877

I feel like the Baron is missing in this because China can't have a homosexual rapist on here.

Let's just be clear, Lynch's movie is more faithful to the book because he never sugarcoated a homosexual rapist character for a China release.

Confirmed, new version is the "woke" version of the source material:

Harkonnen is written as "a predatory homosexual given to pederasty and incest, an unrepentant rapist and murderer"

Lynch film embraced "the archetype of the depraved gay sadist", which would not be acceptable in 2019

Dune 1984 > Dune 2021

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the real question for me is, is dune 2021 better than prometheus?
Nope. Prometheus was complete, beginning, middle, end. Dune 2021 just has a beginning. Middle not sure. End absent.

famicommander

15 Year Member
HBO Max movie domestic opening weekends

1. Dune - 40.1M
2. Godzilla vs Kong - 31.6M
3. Space Jam 2 - 31.1M
4. The Suicide Squad - 26.2M
5. The Conjuring 3 - 24.1M
6. Mortal Kombat - 23.3M
7. Wonder Woman 1984 - 16.7M

Biggest opening for an HBO Max movie, biggest opening for a WB film in over two years (Joker in October 2019).

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member

1. Dune - 40.1M
3. Space Jam 2 - 31.1M
6. Mortal Kombat - 23.3M

Biggest opening for an HBO Max movie, biggest opening for a WB film in over two years (Joker in October 2019).
hbo should be put out of business.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

1. Dune - 40.1M
3. Space Jam 2 - 31.1M
6. Mortal Kombat - 23.3M

c'mon, adjust for inflation 1984 Dune was one of the most successful films in that decade.

I mean 2021 Dune owes much of it's success to the original. They reused some of the design/story elements of it. Admit it!

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just watched it on HBO, and I’m glad I didn’t see it in the theatre. It was so slow and boring….very much like most HBO dramas these days. It’s drawn out for no reason.

This isn’t a remake, it’s a demake. Everything about this version is worse than the original. Great actors with rigid and awkward dialogue. None of them even had a chance to act. You’d think the modern special effects would help. The coolest thing in this movie is the ornithopters, but they lean into them way too hard.

WTF happened with the melee combat?!?!?. It’s slow and weak. It feels like the actors were too worried about hurting each other so they pulled back with every swing. I can’t believe how poorly this was done. I’d rather watch the combat from Iron Fist.

Walk without rhythm…the movie

and another thing. If you didn't know the plot to Dune, you are almost completely fuked watching this version. They have no problem rambling on about the Kwisatz Haderach, but they never say Mentat even once. My wife was lost without me pausing to explain everything.

They didn't even discuss the importance of Spice, what it does, why people eyes are blue, etc... It's just there.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
how long until HBO releases an extended version for streaming with director alan smithee at helm

famicommander

15 Year Member
how long until HBO releases an extended version for streaming with director alan smithee at helm
Hopefully soon because they taped the banquet scene, a scene with Gurney playing the baliset, and a scene where Gurney reveals the origin of his giant scar at the minimum.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They didn't even discuss the importance of Spice, what it does, why people eyes are blue, etc... It's just there.
I too had to explain the reason why the spice is a big deal.

Denis was like “everyone knows this already, since the original Dune movie fills in all the holes of my wet, used, toilet paper, of a beautiful CGI rich movie, that is making millions of abstract money.”

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I too had to explain the reason why the spice is a big deal.

Denis was like “everyone knows this already, since the original Dune movie fills in all the holes of my wet, used, toilet paper, of a beautiful CGI rich movie, that is making millions of abstract money.”
So we’re all in agreement that the 1984 version is better then?