WATERMELON Games Kickstarter - PAPRIUM, the 16-BIT Beat Them All Coming to the Next-GEN!

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Then you're an idiot if you think that's cute. You're an even bigger idiot if you help finance their shenanigans.
Why? I recieved two games I ordered and I am happy with both of them.

I have preorder the last Game of Thrones book for over a decade. I don't think to chain of stores exist anymore. Do I go after George R.R. Martin ? No.

Tanzer,Tanglewood, XenoCrisis and Demons of Asteborg are all super awesome games for the Mega Drive. But I think they all sold less then Paprium because of no drama involved. You can blame Fonzie for whatever but it does now how to create a hype. Negative or not.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Yes I do. I think it is a very fun game. Love the art style and music. I’m not a big beat ‘m up guy. I really like Burnin fight for example.
View attachment 53034
I've been a big belt-scroller fan since Technos released Double Dragon back in the late 80s, so I believe I've played my fair share of them over the years.
Burning Fight and Paprium have got a lot in common - primarliy they should have both been a lot better than what we got.
In brief Burning Fight could have been an awesome Final Fight clone, but the gameplay is weak, the playable character graphics and animation are poor. Music is good and the backgrounds are very well done.
Paprium... graphics are very good, but enemy's are reptitive, the gameplay is not as advanced as it could be (compared to Streets of Rage 2, The Punisher etc) and the music is also reptitive.
Is Paprium a bad game? No, it isn't, but it's average... kind of like Crest of Wolf on PC Engine but with shiny graphics.

Anyway, my issue is with WM and how they treated their original backers. I count myself lucky to have bought when pre-orders launched and actually recieved something.... eventually.
The shit storm that followed the years of delays is easy to find. The issues that were raised with NGF back in the day were very much confined to a few niche online communities, that isn't the case with WM... yet people are still throwing money at them.

As I said previously, blows my mind.

BTW... anyone reading this who wants to pay $1,000 for Paprium, a la eBay, then hit me up, becuase I'd rather have $1,000 than hold on to this. Seriously. I will take your money.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Have you played this game ? How do you know it is mediocre.

I don't even think it's fair to call it mediocre. It looks pretty bad. Typical eurotrash jank. What is it with European developers, anyway? They never figured out how to make 2D arcade games.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I've been a big belt-scroller fan since Technos released Double Dragon back in the late 80s, so I believe I've played my fair share of them over the years.
Burning Fight and Paprium have got a lot in common - primarliy they should have both been a lot better than what we got.
In brief Burning Fight could have been an awesome Final Fight clone, but the gameplay is weak, the playable character graphics and animation are poor. Music is good and the backgrounds are very well done.
Paprium... graphics are very good, but enemy's are reptitive, the gameplay is not as advanced as it could be (compared to Streets of Rage 2, The Punisher etc) and the music is also reptitive.
Is Paprium a bad game? No, it isn't, but it's average... kind of like Crest of Wolf on PC Engine but with shiny graphics.

Anyway, my issue is with WM and how they treated their original backers. I count myself lucky to have bought when pre-orders launched and actually recieved something.... eventually.
The shit storm that followed the years of delays is easy to find. The issues that were raised with NGF back in the day were very much confined to a few niche online communities, that isn't the case with WM... yet people are still throwing money at them.

As I said previously, blows my mind.

BTW... anyone reading this who wants to pay $1,000 for Paprium, a la eBay, then hit me up, becuase I'd rather have $1,000 than hold on to this. Seriously. I will take your money.
Funny you should mention Crest of the Wolf. I love that game. Something never clicked with Final Fight for me. I find it extremely boring. I really don't understand why people think it superior to other beat'em ups. guess I'm not really an Beat'em up guy. I do have have an Double Dragon arcade PCB and love that one to death.

Wow 1K$ ! Selling my copy for sure. I'll get another one with the next batch in 2032.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I don't even think it's fair to call it mediocre. It looks pretty bad. Typical eurotrash jank. What is it with European developers, anyway? They never figured out how to make 2D arcade games.
Well at least better the any vomit that has ever come out of the USA. But it's true that most Japanse 2D games are leagues ahead of those developed in europe. I also don't understand the Amiga crowd. They really defend some godawfull games.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Why are you shilling for these people? Who cares what they offer as incentives given WMs track record it's all bs. If Fomzie offered me the moon on a stick with a Paprium sticker on it I wouldn't give him my money again... and given the huge coverage of lies, bullshit and other nonense behind WM since Paprium's announcement back in 1989, why would any one back WM thinking this will be any different? Blows my mind.

And all the secrets and hidden elements in the world won't detract from the fact that the game is a mediocre belt-scroller.
Hey Tarma,

What's your experience with WM?

I bought several copies of Paprium (most of the different versions; Genesis, Japanese Mega Drive, Investors Ed. Collectors Ed, Standard Ed.) and two Grand Sticks. I received everything so from my personal experience I believe I will get what I order from this kickstarter.

Yes, I waited a ridiculous amount of time (years!) but in the end WM came through. And for the wait I got a game I really like. It is a great game.

Liking it or not is subjective so if someone says it sucks; that's their opinion and it's OK to say so.

Anyone who really wants Paprium without ebay pricing now is your chance.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Tanzer,Tanglewood, XenoCrisis and Demons of Asteborg are all super awesome games for the Mega Drive. But I think they all sold less then Paprium because of no drama involved. You can blame Fonzie for whatever but it does now how to create a hype. Negative or not.

You said it. Tanzer,Tanglewood, XenoCrisis and Demons of Asteborg (and Paprium) are all really great games. Tanzer being my least fav of the bunch and Tangelwood my top pick. I think most opinions would favor Xeno Crisis.

These are really great time if you're into the Genesis /MD.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
What annoys me is that you have to pay shipping. When you try to pay for the one dollar thing.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Hey Tarma,

What's your experience with WM?

I bought several copies of Paprium (most of the different versions; Genesis, Japanese Mega Drive, Investors Ed. Collectors Ed, Standard Ed.) and two Grand Sticks. I received everything so from my personal experience I believe I will get what I order from this kickstarter.

Yes, I waited a ridiculous amount of time (years!) but in the end WM came through. And for the wait I got a game I really like. It is a great game.

Liking it or not is subjective so if someone says it sucks; that's their opinion and it's OK to say so.

Anyone who really wants Paprium without ebay pricing now is your chance.
Well, someoone who goes by a handle like yours, it comes as no suprise that you chucked a load of money at them... and that's your perogative and I'm glad for you that you got what you ordered... in the end.

My experience was Paprium, and that will be my only experience with WM.

The chaos between the pre-order and when the game finally arrived was a complete joke, and to this day I am genuinely astounded I actually received something. However, despite the great product presentation, the game itself was a disappointment given the "hype".

Furthermore, many people couldn't play the game when they got it due to the technical fudges that went into making the cart work so WM could ship something. I have problems with my cart - despite having an original Jap MD with, allegedly a compatible serial range, the game will not work with my MD alone and only works when my Mega CD is connected.

So, yeah, Paprium was a fiasco, and given there are still many who have received no game and no refund, the fact people will still give Fonzie money is frankly, bizarre.

We were lucky, we got something for the money we handed over - but that doesn't mean to say that WM are trust worthy, or to be trusted; and I certainly would not promote them, their "work", or encourage others to hand over their money.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I'll be happy to buy a digital copy if/when it's released so I don't have to risk losing my money on a Kickstarter gamble.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree to some extent, and I dislike sor4 personally for similar reasons. But there are examples of well made european arcade style games

KGRAMR

Another Striker
So when's the ROM droppin'
Paprium's .ROM is already out there in the wild but because Fonzie decided to use a custom enhancement chip not currently emulated, don't get your hopes up trying to run the game on any Genesis emulator. I do like the game's music though.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Paprium's .ROM is already out there in the wild but because Fonzie decided to use a custom enhancement chip not currently emulated, don't get your hopes up trying to run the game on any Genesis emulator. I do like the game's music though.
Ah.

Well meh.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
It's too bad they don't like making good games and actually shipping cartridges to paying customers as much as they like taking money and begging for funding online.
You know i've often tried to get people issue resolved as I know virtually every single person who's worked at WM. I havent once found anyone who says they havent gotten their game that can provide any proof they've bought it. They cant show me where they purchased it with gems, where they have a invoice or tracking number. Nothing just no proof and yet they some how want their "issue" resolved.

Im not saying WM hasnt has communication and delivery issues but you'd think someone i've run into would be able to prove they actually bought it.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You said it. Tanzer,Tanglewood, XenoCrisis and Demons of Asteborg (and Paprium) are all really great games. Tanzer being my least fav of the bunch and Tangelwood my top pick. I think most opinions would favor Xeno Crisis.

These are really great time if you're into the Genesis /MD.
I dont even get how people can compare paprium to anything other than Demons. The other stuff is so technically inferior and limited and experience. Xenocrisis is 5 stages that will last you 30 minutes. Paprium has something like 20 stages and 60 songs and does things that no other genesis game ever has. Papriums biggest flaw is hit detection and some ai that could clearly use tweeks.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
You know i've often tried to get people issue resolved as I know virtually every single person who's worked at WM. I havent once found anyone who says they havent gotten their game that can provide any proof they've bought it. They cant show me where they purchased it with gems, where they have a invoice or tracking number. Nothing just no proof and yet they some how want their "issue" resolved.

Im not saying WM hasnt has communication and delivery issues but you'd think someone i've run into would be able to prove they actually bought it.

Why should anyone have to prove anything to you? Bad press isn't a conspiracy. Especially not in the case of a joke of a company like Watermelon.

Like I assume many others, I pre-ordered this game (and Project N) using gems on their unnecessarily roundabout shop platform about 8 years ago and I've yet to receive anything other than email newsletter excuses and delay notifications.

No need to pull any strings. I'm in their system. If Fonzie never makes good on his eternal promises to ship the game to every paying customer, color me unsurprised.

Part of me would like to test out the game I paid for almost a decade ago, but I'm certainly not going to throw down more money via Kickstarter to do so.

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Why should anyone have to prove anything to you? Bad press isn't a conspiracy. Especially not in the case of a joke of a company like Watermelon.

Like I assume many others, I pre-ordered this game (and Project Y) using gems on their unnecessarily roundabout shop platform about 8 years ago and I've yet to receive anything other than email newsletter excuses and delay notifications.

No need to pull any strings. I'm in their system. If Fonzie never makes good on his eternal promises to ship the game to every paying customer, color me unsurprised.

Part of me would like to test out the game I paid for almost a decade ago, but I'm certainly not going to throw down more money via Kickstarter to do so.
Your first line just proves you're a fucking idiot. You're proving it so I can resolve the fucking issue.

Its like if you wants the issue resolved put in a little work. Shit happens especially when the games delayed as shit. When people started getting their pre invoices confirming addresses that when you should have known something was wrong if you didnt get one.