Is Samurai Showdown II the best in the series?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I can picture mine & LoneSage's posts being read out loud in natural conversation.

BJZ needs to submit posts online in order to be heard or understood.

What's he like IRL?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It's a peculiar thing to spectate three individuals whom you've each met IRL all steadfastly arguing on this page of the thread.

That’s the advantage of real life, people rarely have these kinds of squabbles there. I advocate for it when practical.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
That’s the advantage of real life, people rarely have these kinds of squabbles there. I advocate for it when practical.
You haven't met me. I hope to see you at a bar one day. I will make you scream in paragraphs.

Also could have fooled me, usually people who are acclimated to real-life interactions see the issue with using the 'ignore' feature. Hyper-emotional lunatics who are too used to being able to tune stuff out tend to love the ignore feature

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
This.

.....and to the OP of this thread: 2 is the epitome of the Neo Geo as well as the era both in 90's 2D fighting games & arcade games in general. It is arguably one of the finest video games ever made & commands it's place as such.

SS3 is a stellar entry as well, although a bit of a divisive one due to it's darker tone. It's one of the prettiest games on the Neo & one of my personal favorites.

I think you should shun much of what you are being told by skipping the first installment. It is a great game in it's own right & I would say that is where you should start. A true Neo Geo fan will start with SS1 & then work their way up.

If you are interested in english home carts I would recommend that you shun that for now & go the route of Jap home carts, MVS carts or Neo CD's as the Sam sho series (well the first 3) on CD are tops (while SS3 CD is regarded as amazing).

SS4 was a botched mess, SS5/Special is kinda mugen like but liked by competitive players due to the maxed out roster.....and SS6 is best forgotten.

Samurai Shodown 3 is beautiful but the hitboxes are unforgivable. They're so bad. If a sword is overlapping a character, CONNECT. Can't handle playing that turd.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Everyone says 2 is the best, but every time someone asks this it's generally 3 that gets the most votes. Most specifically the hitbox fix version.

I like 3 the most. More technical combat, but both are S+ tier games. You should just own both.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
If 3 has to be fixed to even be playable, it isn't fair to say it's the best in the series, because the fixed version isn't really SNK's Samurai Shodown 3 anymore.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown 3 is beautiful but the hitboxes are unforgivable. They're so bad. If a sword is overlapping a character, CONNECT. Can't handle playing that turd.
There is a hitbox-fixed version of SSIII. It’s brilliant.