Car Enthusiast Thread

why a Camino when there is the subaru Brat? or the new Hyundai Santa Cruz
GOON CAR

speaking of which that 85 monte is definitely in the goon tier.

Also sorry for not uploading some pics of the sorted SC430. Ive been country road driving the everloving christ out of that car and havent taken any pics. I really like it but it is by far the most impractical grand touring car ive ever been in and also the most impractical toyota ive ever owned. So many details that make no sense with that thing, a long list of tiny annoyances. Its an odd duck for sure.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Is there a good description of a Goon Car?

Google is all over the place when searched.

'Shakes my fist in the air' You young kids creating new styles!

I think I heard the term from a movie? And ive heard it once or twice since then, i just like the term. I think of it like gangster cars, living in SoCal there were definitely particular cars the gangsta/goon culture favored. Besides the monte carlos and camino’s I would say my LS400’s qualified, also a few caddys ive had. Old lincolns, oldsmobiles and buicks qualify, the models starting in the mid/late 70’s. Auctioned cop cars to iroc’s.

I would define it as a car typical to trouble making trash.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
maybe goon in SoCal is still cool, but we only use that to describe goofs in my area.

What the fuck is your point? Its absolutely a derogatory term but very fitting in this context. It doesnt take anything away from the vehicle.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I finally did some stuff to my Mazdaspeed 6 that I've been putting off for well over a year. My front bumper cover was crooked from hitting a concrete curb I should have cleared when the car was lowered by the previous owner, and the shitty aftermarket headlight housings needed to go, which also requires removing the bumper cover. Surprisingly, this was super easy and I should have done it long ago. New bumper clips installed, bumper is straight, new OEM headlights are in, a little touch up paint added to a few spots, it's looking good again.

Well, that didn't take long, should have done it long ago. With this extra time, might as well replace that door handle that broke. Replacing a door handle should be easier than disassembling and reassembling an entire front end right? It took me all afternoon on Sunday, taking apart that door was much, much more complicated that I would have thought. I also broke a plastic piece which is $60 from the dealer, lol.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Mustang dyno 293 whp/282 torque in my 08 Miata...pretty f'n rowdy.

20211006_184031.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Jesus Christ dude

*edit* That torque curve is so flat it's making me hard

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
BMW alway, M. Porsche weekend car sometimes.

Attachments

• AE1779D0-A706-4765-840F-D1D4BF161422.jpeg
    AE1779D0-A706-4765-840F-D1D4BF161422.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
00CC6119-AAA7-45F4-BE29-AB3389E279CA.jpeg6153F86B-49FB-42C8-9CF6-2F6BDAC47526.jpeg3D4BA036-0E6B-4303-BA6E-A66D27328707.jpeg5BE63C07-4E5B-480C-8F26-D53554D353B8.jpeg
35525355-A4C3-4690-8075-5387247B1513.jpeg9576ADEC-120D-46B0-84B4-ABB98A57AA92.jpeg
1984 two owner 71k mile Z15 code SS, not that it means much with a 150hp super detuned 305.

Already messing with it. Ceramic tint, smaller tires, bed rail delete, steering wheel, dash speakers, dash mat, some security stuff including gps tracker. I feel I scored this a decent chunk under value, got it from an 82yo man who bought it from his high school friend who was the original owner.

My 2nd chevy SS, third old chevy truck, feels like a piece of my soul is back after being chevy-less for about the last 5 years.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
View attachment 54169View attachment 54170View attachment 54165View attachment 54166
View attachment 54167View attachment 54168
1984 two owner 71k mile Z15 code SS, not that it means much with a 150hp super detuned 305.

Already messing with it. Ceramic tint, smaller tires, bed rail delete, steering wheel, dash speakers, dash mat, some security stuff including gps tracker. I feel I scored this a decent chunk under value, got it from an 82yo man who bought it from his high school friend who was the original owner.

My 2nd chevy SS, third old chevy truck, feels like a piece of my soul is back after being chevy-less for about the last 5 years.
Fucking right on. When it comes time to replace the dash speakers, hit me up and ill show you the special screwdrivers and technique you gotta use to get them out and not scratch the interior of the windshield. If i dig back far enough i can probably find the speakers i replaced them with as well in my 85 SS MC that are the maximum size that will fit in the recesses as well.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Lamborghini Sian FKP37
FB_IMG_16387537206629758.jpg
Diablo Ford Mustang
FB_IMG_16387540097195243.jpg
Um... some SD bullshit? 😂
FB_IMG_16387540427568691.jpg

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Bought a 2000 S2000 on the last day of 2021. I can finally rev to 9000.

I am loading up Sega arcade music on the radio, it is going to be a riot.

Attachments

• IMG_6211.jpg
    IMG_6211.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Man I hope you didnt get gouged too hard on price in this market. Havent been watching s2000’s much but Im guessing they have to be among the most inflated vehicle prices right now.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Man I hope you didnt get gouged too hard on price in this market. Havent been watching s2000’s much but Im guessing they have to be among the most inflated vehicle prices right now.

Not terrible, but not great either. I traded in my "deer killer" Element to help offset the cost as well and being the last day of the year, the dealership was willing to deal.

Right on, I bet you got more for your element than you were expecting. It sure has been an interesting year to car hunt. The good low mile sc430’s were being sold out from under me left and right, put a deposit on 2 that were sold out from under me. One of those I was a click away from buying a plane ticket when the dealership called to let me know they were offered more just an hour after I placed a deposit. Another one I drive over 2 hours for just to show up as literally someone else was there sitting down making a slimy deal to buy that one from under me.

The camino was a pretty intense hunt as deals sold lightning fast, got lucky on that one, stumbling on the old man owner, just as I was thinking I should maybe wait another year.

It should be fun watching where the values go in the next few years. That S2000 should just keep climbing.

Take us some pics when you get time and conditions permit, also what kind of mileage the car has. Im a fan of those in every color combo they came in. Cant say that about many cars.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
It has 76.5k miles, bone stock and the soft top in great condition. Although it has 3 previous owners, I can tell it was garaged most if not all of its life. It still drives like new. I uploaded a couple of pics in the prior post.

Good luck with your search, patience is definitely the key. I have been wanting to get a S2000 since it came out but it is so impractical that I never felt the right time for it until the past year or so. Finding an unmolested S2000 with reasonable mileage/price will test anyone's patience.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My Miata is in good mechanical shape, but it looks like shit from failing clearcoat and needs a full, costly sand/repaint job. I've got some money set aside for this, but I've also been keeping my eye out for possibly getting a slightly newer NB or NC Miata and selling the NA. Miata values across the board are inflated of course, and someone local put up a 2000 Porsche Boxster for sale for less than what a similar vintage Miata would sell for.

I'm trying really hard not to just go buy the Porsche. Boxsters tend to be cheap since the actual Porsche crowds don't consider them to be a "real Porsche" but they are still ridiculously fun cars. My main hesistation is being hard to work on due to the mid engine design, if it needs a clutch it's going to be a bitch.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My Miata is in good mechanical shape, but it looks like shit from failing clearcoat and needs a full, costly sand/repaint job. I've got some money set aside for this, but I've also been keeping my eye out for possibly getting a slightly newer NB or NC Miata and selling the NA. Miata values across the board are inflated of course, and someone local put up a 2000 Porsche Boxster for sale for less than what a similar vintage Miata would sell for.

I'm trying really hard not to just go buy the Porsche. Boxsters tend to be cheap since the actual Porsche crowds don't consider them to be a "real Porsche" but they are still ridiculously fun cars. My main hesistation is being hard to work on due to the mid engine design, if it needs a clutch it's going to be a bitch.

The Porsche community has come around on the Boxsters. Many of them own them as 3rd or 4th vehicles now.
A lot of the old ones are gone, which brings some appeal as well. The prices dropped to affordable levels, so many people bought them but didn't maintain them. If you find a good boxster, they are definitely worth it.

In my old age i find that kind of car very freeing. Perfect mechanically but shitty looking. Im too old to give a fuck about people talking shit on my paintjob and I find when the car gets to that stage that it mentally lets me hoon it a lot harder on every drive and park it up front at the walmart without giving two fucks. Ive got an E36 that hit that stage and decided to just daily it hard till the end of its life even through winter instead of fixing its cosmetic issues. Really changed my opinion of the car and I enjoy it way more now than when it was babied.