Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Changeling (1980)- Top notch, often imitated and certainly far superior to the terrible remake with Angelina Jolie. George C. Scott just crushing it once again. It's not quite on the same level of The Shining but it's damn good.
I had no idea the Jolie movie was a remake of anything. The only thing I knew about it was that everyone in the comics community was making a big deal out of it being written by JMS, whose writing I dislike intensely. So I avoided the movie. But I thought he had at least created his own story. Now you tell me he just took someone else's idea, and now everything makes perfect sense. There's the JMS I know!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finch.

Tom Hanks is a god damned national treasure. It was an enjoyable movie, albeit a little predictable.

Spoiler:
Any animal lovers can actually relax, the dog does not die.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I had no idea the Jolie movie was a remake of anything. The only thing I knew about it was that everyone in the comics community was making a big deal out of it being written by JMS, whose writing I dislike intensely. So I avoided the movie. But I thought he had at least created his own story. Now you tell me he just took someone else's idea, and now everything makes perfect sense. There's the JMS I know!

Had to look up JMS, I see Babylon 5 and Jeremiah... hard pass.

The only reason the Jolie one is even watchable is because it was directed by Clint Eastwood.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I had no idea the Jolie movie was a remake of anything.
It isn't, except for the title it has nothing to do with the 1980 film, which is indeed very good. Eastwood's Changeling comes w/o the The in its title by the way, I liked it too, but if you saw one Eastwood, you've probably seen them all and this one is not different. Come to think of it, the Scott movie has certainly inspired Stir of Echoes (1999) with Kevin Bacon.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Once upon a time in Hollywood. Loved it, Di Caprio wielding a flamethrower.
But damn Quentin Tarantino has some kind of dirty foot fetish. In most of his movies it can be quite subtle but he went all in with this one.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It isn't, except for the title it has nothing to do with the 1980 film, which is indeed very good. Eastwood's Changeling comes w/o the The in its title by the way,
It's still about a kid being replaced and removing The from the title doesn't make the writer any less of a hack. Either way the 1980 movie still shits all over it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Jason Reitman, after successfully hacking up Ghostbusters in a soulless Force Awakens-style nostalgic cash grab, has decided to do the same with Ghostbusters 2.

A few years after that he'll make an "Afterlife" style hack up of Afterlife itself and the universe will collapse into itself.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Jason Reitman, after successfully hacking up Ghostbusters in a soulless Force Awakens-style nostalgic cash grab, has decided to do the same with Ghostbusters 2.

A few years after that he'll make an "Afterlife" style hack up of Afterlife itself and the universe will collapse into itself.

For fucks sake.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bereft of remaining choices on netflix, we watched Identity Thief. It was like a cynical mashup of Trains, Planes & Automobiles and Midnight Run, without any of the charm or humor of either.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Ghostbusters 3 should have been a Taika Waitititi mockumentary following the near-retirement-aged original four who now have to work at the EPA to make end's meet.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I saw Free Guy over the holiday break. It was pretty cute. Not the worst way to spend 2 hours by any means.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In the January 2022 issue of Empire, published November 2021, Ralph Macchio revealed that he had previously been approached about a potential The Karate Kid and Rocky crossover film in 2012, to be directed by John G. Avildsen and following Daniel LaRusso's daughter and Milo Ventimiglia's Rocky Balboa, Jr. "get together and open a dojo"; describing the concept as "awful", Macchio declined reprising his role and the project subsequently entered development hell, before being abandoned in favour of Creed and Cobra Kai.

We lucked out with this one.

We almost got some horrible crossover instead of the Creed films and Cobra Kai.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I can't believe you phaggots are going to trick me into watching Free Guy. I hate you all.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Once upon a time in Hollywood. Loved it, Di Caprio wielding a flamethrower.
But damn Quentin Tarantino has some kind of dirty foot fetish. In most of his movies it can be quite subtle but he went all in with this one.
Lol totally. It's a weird fetish but I get it. I don't derive sexual pleasure from it but nice hands are definetly something I like on a woman.

Watched a Korean film called The Fortress. Beautiful. I'm a sucker for period films, this one nails it. The look of it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie- Classic anthology schlockfest with a surprising amount of talent involved. Effects by KNB that range from "that has to be intentional... right?" to outright impressive. Stars Debbie Harry, Christian Slater, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, Rae Dawn Chong, Robert Klein, James Remar, the lead singer of the New York Dolls and a shit ton of cameos.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie- Classic anthology schlockfest with a surprising amount of talent involved. Effects by KNB that range from "that has to be intentional... right?" to outright impressive. Stars Debbie Harry, Christian Slater, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, Rae Dawn Chong, Robert Klein, James Remar, the lead singer of the New York Dolls and a shit ton of cameos.
I've been trying to figure out if the new DVD version of the show has the original OST or not. (They changed it for all previous DVD versions for some reason.)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've been trying to figure out if the new DVD version of the show has the original OST or not. (They changed it for all previous DVD versions for some reason.)
No idea. I have the set but I can't compare it to anything since I was too young to remember that kind of detail when they originally aired. It has the classic intro that scared the shit out of me back then lol.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Pig - this is what all the fanfare (or whatever) was about? Overrated. Half a story. Cage was fun, as usual, but seriously, that's like maybe 60% of a proper story. Which was, I would guess, entirely intentional, but hell, what a waste. Easily the most overrated movie of the year.

Bad.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Candyman (2021) - contrary to prior, I had low expectations for this and was very pleasantly surprised. Very much feels like Jordan Peele's other stuff, and I mean that as a compliment, still kind of amazed at how the guy who did dicknanigans and Liam Neesons turned into the best horror filmmaker around.

I could go on and on about how many different things this did well, but I'll keep it short- this was easily my favorite movie of the year and I'd highly recommend it to pretty much anyone.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Sentinel- I've heard people say this is over shadowed by The Exorcist and while it's nowhere near the level of that it's certainly an interesting movie with some genuinely disturbing stuff, especially for 1976. It almost feels Italian at times. The cast is absolutely mind boggling Christina Raines, Bergess Meredith, Chris Sarandon, Beverly D'Angelo, Ava Gardener, Jose Ferrer, Christopher Walken and even Jeff Goldblum. The scene of Beverly D'Angelo masturbating was legit uncomfortable and the last 15 minutes are batshit crazy. Recommended.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Saw Exorcist 3 for the first time a couple days ago. It's kind of whatever, but what's interesting is how disjointed and rambling the script is. A lot of meaningless tangents about nothing that must have sounded clever to the writer-director...who wrote the original novel the first Exorcist was based off of! So the ridiculous script is really a mystery.

Then at the end, there's suddenly some Sam Raimi Evil Dead camerawork as grandma hilariously leaps to the rescue. The whole movie is fucking odd. I wouldn't recommend it, but at least it's infinitely better than Exorcist 2.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Saw Exorcist 3 for the first time a couple days ago. It's kind of whatever, but what's interesting is how disjointed and rambling the script is. A lot of meaningless tangents about nothing that must have sounded clever to the writer-director...who wrote the original novel the first Exorcist was based off of! So the ridiculous script is really a mystery.

Then at the end, there's suddenly some Sam Raimi Evil Dead camerawork as grandma hilariously leaps to the rescue. The whole movie is fucking odd. I wouldn't recommend it, but at least it's infinitely better than Exorcist 2.
The world needs more demonic noires.