The Comic Book Thread

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Just finished reading Joann Sfar's Vampire. It's very good, Sfar's meandering art of storytelling and his detailed, very own drawing style are a perfect mach. Before you know it, they sort of cast a spell over you with that understated flow and non-binding nature. Characters around Fernand, the titular Vampire, come and go and return again, the stories often expire into vagueness, the place they came from anyway. They're all sketchy and airy, but very atmospheric and very involving. My next pick will be the sequel called Aspirine.

Parallel to that, I started to read Lewis Trondheim's Dungeon, the Zenith part of this built out series, but this one is more Simpsons in style and doesn't have that unique feel of Vampire. Still, the quality is at least on Simpsons level, so it's easy to recognize, why it's an unmistakeable classic. So far, the pop-culture references are subtle and on point, the AD&D scenario a real treat. I'm anxious to see how it develops.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just finished reading Joann Sfar's Vampire. It's very good, Sfar's meandering art of storytelling and his detailed, very own drawing style are a perfect mach. Before you know it, they sort of cast a spell over you with that understated flow and non-binding nature. Characters around Fernand, the titular Vampire, come and go and return again, the stories often expire into vagueness, the place they came from anyway. They're all sketchy and airy, but very atmospheric and very involving. My next pick will be the sequel called Aspirine.

Parallel to that, I started to read Lewis Trondheim's Dungeon, the Zenith part of this built out series, but this one is more Simpsons in style and doesn't have that unique feel of Vampire. Still, the quality is at least on Simpsons level, so it's easy to recognize, why it's an unmistakeable classic. So far, the pop-culture references are subtle and on point, the AD&D scenario a real treat. I'm anxious to see how it develops.
Yeah, I love Sfar, and I love his and Trondheim's Dungeon. But by far the best portion of Dungeon is the Potron-Minet/The Early Years books with art by Christophe Blain. It's fucking phenomenal. If you want Dungeon that feels as unique and atmospheric as Vampire with that kind of melancholic humor, this is it.

Zenith and Twilight both start fine but grow on you and become so engrossing by the end that you get vaguely depressed when you realize there isn't any more coming. Parade and Monsters have ups and downs but the ups are very good.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Thanks for your reply, STK! ...and if you don't mind, I wanted to ask you one thing for a little while now: Is Corto Maltese In Siberia really your favorite part of the series? A couple hundred posts back in this thread, you listed some favorites and the Siberia cover was present − this intrigued me.

I fell in love with Pratt's series instantly, but Siberia is the weakest part in my opinion: the plot is overly complicated and the dream-like atmosphere absent - even though it's suggested from the beginning through the Corte Sconta Detta Arcana, that this could be just a dream entirely - and finally, although Guido Fuga's work on those steam engines is beautiful if seen individually, it develops a somewhat disturbing contrast to Pratt's casual style, which becomes annoying after a while. Strictly subjective opinions, of course.

Personally, I like The Ethiopian best, Cush is simply brilliant and Corto's Muezzin efforts are one of the most humorous moments during his adventures. My second pick would be The Early Years, here Rasputin's ambiguity really shines and the Jack London cameo does, too. Then the first three volumes, which were mind blowing experiences for me, albeit in far more subtle and cozy way, than this expression may suggest.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
EfQF39LWAAE14vt

EfQRxMJXgAIBXok

no wonder the industry is in the shits with people like him in charge

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Thanks for your reply, STK! ...and if you don't mind, I wanted to ask you one thing for a little while now: Is Corto Maltese In Siberia really your favorite part of the series? A couple hundred posts back in this thread, you listed some favorites and the Siberia cover was present − this intrigued me.

I fell in love with Pratt's series instantly, but Siberia is the weakest part in my opinion: the plot is overly complicated and the dream-like atmosphere absent - even though it's suggested from the beginning through the Corte Sconta Detta Arcana, that this could be just a dream entirely - and finally, although Guido Fuga's work on those steam engines is beautiful if seen individually, it develops a somewhat disturbing contrast to Pratt's casual style, which becomes annoying after a while. Strictly subjective opinions, of course.

Personally, I like The Ethiopian best, Cush is simply brilliant and Corto's Muezzin efforts are one of the most humorous moments during his adventures. My second pick would be The Early Years, here Rasputin's ambiguity really shines and the Jack London cameo does, too. Then the first three volumes, which were mind blowing experiences for me, albeit in far more subtle and cozy way, than this expression may suggest.
Yeah, The Ethiopian is great. It's actually been sitting on my nightstand for the past several months. I've reread it a hundred times. Probably my second favorite, and my favorite of the earlier short story format before Pratt switched to longer stories. I also really like Fable of Venice and its semi-sequel Tango. And The Celts. Early Years is also great. I love all of it. But Siberia probably is my favorite. Partly because it's the first I ever read, so it holds a special place. The complexity of the winding plot is not a turn off for me, and I love all the supporting characters and historical cameos. And the scene early in the story where he sits silently for several panels before suddenly saying to an empty room, "Ah, Corto, you almost said the wrong thing!" is one of my favorite moments in the entire series, maybe followed by the silent reaction shot of Corto following Slütter's execution in Ballad of the Salt Sea.

But it's all great from beginning to end. I like every book, and everything else of Pratt's I've been able to get my hands on or has been published in English at some point.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, The Ethiopian is great. It's actually been sitting on my nightstand for the past several months. I've reread it a hundred times. Probably my second favorite, and my favorite of the earlier short story format before Pratt switched to longer stories. I also really like Fable of Venice and its semi-sequel Tango. And The Celts. Early Years is also great. I love all of it. But Siberia probably is my favorite. Partly because it's the first I ever read, so it holds a special place. The complexity of the winding plot is not a turn off for me, and I love all the supporting characters and historical cameos. And the scene early in the story where he sits silently for several panels before suddenly saying to an empty room, "Ah, Corto, you almost said the wrong thing!" is one of my favorite moments in the entire series, maybe followed by the silent reaction shot of Corto following Slütter's execution in Ballad of the Salt Sea.

But it's all great from beginning to end. I like every book, and everything else of Pratt's I've been able to get my hands on or has been published in English at some point.

Thank you again SouthtownKid, it's cool to know that Siberia was your first Corto, mine was Early Years. Corto has many magic moments, one of my favorites is Bouche-dorée simply repeating yes... yes... – pure magic, right?

Your answer also made me realize, how out of place my question really was, you're right STK, every part in the series is great and every try to rate each individually is at best some nerd-level quibbling... yes... yes... dear Claude ;).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Thank you again SouthtownKid, it's cool to know that Siberia was your first Corto, mine was Early Years. Corto has many magic moments, one of my favorites is Bouche-dorée simply repeating yes... yes... – pure magic, right?

Your answer also made me realize, how out of place my question really was, you're right STK, every part in the series is great and every try to rate each individually is at best some nerd-level quibbling... yes... yes... dear Claude ;).
But I was thinking about it, and Ethiopian is probably the most easily and endlessly rereadable book in the series. And speaking of Cush, have you read Scorpions of the Desert?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
And speaking of Cush, have you read Scorpions of the Desert?

Not yet, the next Pratts on my pile of shame are his collaborations with Manara and Milani. But you're right, Cush links Corto and Scorpions. Nice! Next time I visit my dealer in Bochum, I'll ask him about a copy.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A couple (tons?) comics I read during pandemic time...

Indian Summer. I guess it's stale to call it a classic, but really, it deserves to be called that way. The first part alone, where the story is told voiceless, only through pictures of a beach and people, which are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very cool, kind of Arzach. Yeah, you'll get some typical Manara exaltations here, but Pratt's storytelling makes up for it.

Weapons of Mass Diplomacy, a look into everyday work of a European politician. Some excellent episodes there. I liked it so much, I immediately bought another Blain comic, The Speed Abater, which was even better. It's a story about... hard to describe, really. Dense atmosphere with some of the best dream sequences you'll find in a comic book. It all feels like a dream, yet it's reality. A bit Kafka, a bit Lynch, but you never feel it's a rip-off, on the contrary, it's very original. I strongly recommend it.

Castaka, a typical Jodorowsky, this time with some extraordinary drawings from Das Pastoras. Reminded me a bit of Darrow's style. And the story? You either like Jodo or you don't. I do.

I made a small dip into Andreas with Coutoo (good) and Cyrrus/Mil (weird). Next in line are Cromwell Stone, Arq and Rork.

I finished Monster by Bilal. It's intriguing, though you could probably end up with as many compliments as objections after reading it − still worth it, of course. Not as good as Nikopol, but just as heavy and suggestive. In fact, I needed something lighter to look at during my time with this title and simultaneously read Kenya from Leo. I'm a big Leo fan, but am aware that it's more of a guilty pleasure. Still, it helped a lot to get through Bilal's excesses.

The highlight of this lengthy session is my little encounter with Ranx. I used to avoid Liberatore, because of the explicit content, but the first Ranx stories are incredibly influential, or controversial, and definitely way ahead of its time. Tarantino, The Matrix, Ferrara and a couple of other milestones are in there. Maybe I'm wrong, but this comic seems to be in everything that build late 80's and 90's pop culture up till now. I'd put its influence above that of the Incal.

Last comic was Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann and the Kerascoët collective. It's kind of special, something I never read before. I struggled with its episodic structure, definitely used here to simplify things for the writer, but all in all, it was an interesting reading.

PS: I used the Black Friday discount to buy a full set of the Graphitti Desings HC reissues of the Moebius/Gir Epic releases from my dealer in Bochum. I admit, they are made beautifully and the liner notes are very informative. Printing is excellent, probably the best way to dive into Giraud's mind.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Finished two mangas, first was Tezuka's Adolf ni Tsugu (Tell Adolf?), which was as good as you'd imagine. Some critics deem Tezuka's comical interspersions, for me it's ingenius and probably the only way to tell that story. Of course, it's written from the perspective of a Japanese artist, but that also is just another distinctive feature, which makes this work worth reading, even if you think to know everything on this topic.

The second one I read was Utsubora (The Story of a Novelist) from Asumiko Nakamura. Though it wasn't as Lynchesque as I hoped it would be, the atmosphere was dense and visually a feast. The story lacks some depth, but because it's also not too ambitious, it works out fine in the end. Interestingly, food and eating is celebrated here, to such a degree, that it becomes a sort of main protagonist. Certainly a cool feature.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
New translation of Berserk comes out this upcoming week, what a time to be alive

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finished two mangas, first was Tezuka's Adolf ni Tsugu (Tell Adolf?), which was as good as you'd imagine. Some critics deem Tezuka's comical interspersions, for me it's ingenius and probably the only way to tell that story. Of course, it's written from the perspective of a Japanese artist, but that also is just another distinctive feature, which makes this work worth reading, even if you think to know everything on this topic.
My favorite non-ongoing Tezuka story by far has been Barbara. The English translation was originally funded on kickstarter and I believe published by Veritcal. I paid about $50 for the physical book and it was well worth it. Bought it again in digital format on Comixology for $15 about a year ago, since my physical copy is in one of my family members' garages. Bought a 2-volume Japanese edition as well. Used, so that was only about $5. All money well spent. They actually made a movie version which I think came out last year, but I haven't seen it yet.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My favorite non-ongoing Tezuka story by far has been Barbara. The English translation was originally funded on kickstarter and I believe published by Veritcal. I paid about $50 for the physical book and it was well worth it. Bought it again in digital format on Comixology for $15 about a year ago, since my physical copy is in one of my family members' garages. Bought a 2-volume Japanese edition as well. Used, so that was only about $5. All money well spent. They actually made a movie version which I think came out last year, but I haven't seen it yet.
Thanks for your tip SouthtownKid. I had a hunch your favorite might be Buddha, but stand corrected now. Excellent pick! After reading the first Adolf chapter I immediately bought Ayako and MW, so they're next on my list, together with Ichi-F. I hope the latter is as good as its reviews, especially this one, which made me buy this manga despite the unusual topic.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Buddha is good, and the first Tezuka comic I bought in hardcover, all the way back in 1991. MW is also good, but not as good as Adolf, imo. I haven't read Ayako yet, although it's been on my amazon wishlist for years at this point. Maybe they have it on ibooks or something.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My most recent pickups. Haven't read GotG yet (there's an old Thor vs. Hela reprint in the back too), and the Ninjago one was simple kiddy fare, but, okay bathroom reading material (ninja adventures facilitate bowel movements). The pair only cost me sixty cents total anyway.

IMG_20210608_064339.jpgIMG_20210608_064305.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I read Shangri-La by Mathieu Bablet the other day, a sci-fi tale with a simple structure of prolog, main part and epilog. Unfortunately, the main part is far less satisfying than the two framing episodes at the beginning and the end. Bablet wrote, drew and done all the coloring himself, so it comes at no surprise that he couldn't live up to his own ambitions, ultimately serving fool's gold.

Conversations consist mostly of slogan-like statements, there's no life in them, consequently all characters become lifeless dummies, like tools with no other purpose than to recite hashed and rehashed futuristic motifs the author picks up along the way: genetic manipulation, Orwellian dictatorships, the pointlessness of uprisings, omnipotent scientist... indeed, nothing really original.

Visually this one was interesting enough, though, to go through with it, and as already mentioned, the framework alone with close to no dialogs at all, almost makes up for the obvious shortcomings of the strained and overlong middle. All in all it's worth a try, just lower your expectations inversely proportional to Bablet's ambitions and you'll be able to get over any regrets of buying it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Finished another bunch of comics...

Metronom' (Corbeyran/Grun, 2010-2015), another solid sci-fi dystopia. It was quite entertaining, like a modern television series: a lot of characters, a lot of story arcs and at the end a couple of unanswered questions, too. Grun's art made it wothawile, though. He's not a master of drawing faces, they're kind of ugly and look too similar to each other but his architectural/mechanical depictions are captivating and quite atmospheric. Recommended for a quick read.

Then there was La Fièvre d'Urbicande from Schuiten and Peeters, the second volume from their Les Cités Obscures comic series. An understated masterpiece, mysterious and absorbing. This is a true classic and a must-read. Great art, great storytelling. If something remains unanswered here, it's for the benefit of the whole story, if anything seems too extravagant, it even more supports the enigmatic ambience. In my opinion, this would never work on film, therefore it's one of those rare occasions, where a comic isn't just a simple story-board but an inviolable art form of its own.

The last one was the first part of the Nestor Burma series, called Brouillard au Pont de Tolbiac. A detective story set in the mid 50s in Paris, which Jacques Tardi transferred into a comic from a novel by Léo Malet. In the preface Malet admits that he dislikes comics but was captivated by Tardis style, once he saw it displayed in a bookstore. A lucky coincidence, because the comic adaptation is really an instant classic. It's like watching a Melville movie, like Bob le Flambeur, except this time from the perspective of a private eye, ex-anarchist Burma, who steps into a dark unsolved case. I really enjoyed this one.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Legendary comic book creator George Pérez says he has inoperable cancer

George Pérez in 2019

George Pérez in 2019
The comic book community is expressing its love and appreciation for George Pérez today, after the writer and artist who worked on some of the biggest and most popular comic books of all time announced that he’s been diagnosed with inoperable Stage 3 pancreatic cancer and is only expected to live for another “six months to a year.”
Pérez hasn’t actually worked in comics for a few years, having retired due to health problems from everything but convention appearances and commissioned drawings, but the impact of his best work is still felt today. In the early ‘80s, after working at Marvel on The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and on the big cosmic crossover “The Korvac Saga,” Pérez went to DC to work with writer Marv Wolfman to launch The New Teen Titans.

It ended up being one of DC’s biggest books of the era, and the one that introduced now-beloved characters like Raven, Starfire, Cyborg, and Deathstroke The Terminator. Earlier this year, Wolfman and Pérez even appeared as themselves on an episode of Teen Titans Go! on Cartoon Network.

Impressed by their work on The New Teen Titans, DC then let Wolfman and Pérez loose on one of the all-time great comic book events and the one that established the model for a lot of comic book events going forward: Crisis On Infinite Earths. The miniseries blew up DC’s overly complicated multiverse and gave Pérez a chance to draw pretty much every DC character ever, and he even got an Easter egg shoutout when The CW’s superhero shows staged their own version of Crisis On Infinite Earths.

In the announcement about his diagnosis, Pérez says that he decided to forego “chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy” in favor of spending the time he has left with his family, friends, and fans. He plans to “coordinate one last mass book signing” for people and hopes to make one last public appearance” so as many fans as possible can get photographs with him—”with the proviso that I get to hug each and every one of them,” he adds.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Just finished Morrison's Doom Patrol and it holds up extremely well, I liked it a lot. Even more so after Morrison's coming-out as non-binary. All those fights of each DP member with their own dualities easily gain another level of depth and the whole run seems now kind of emancipated from the 'drugs, craziness & parody' tag it has been often reduced to.

My favorite moments are Mr. Nobody's downfall after such a careful build-up of a new team, the first encounter with the Scissormen, the... really, there's so much classy little and big stories here, pointless trying to count them all. Also Richard Case's art is a perfect fit in my opinion, though Sean Phillips cameo really steals the show in #58: so minimalist and at the same time so much of an atmospheric masterpiece. Awesome!

So yeah, there's practically nothing I would want to criticize in this comic, because it's so well balanced as a whole.