*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Sure, let's just make the process of obtaining the ROM more complicated just for the shit of it, so it feels more authentic.

Well, how about fucking no? Some of us don't like to be stuck living in the past so take off your stupid nostalgia goggles and stop with this shit.
One of the main advantages of living in the "information age" is that things can be made way more accessible to everyone around, no need to put up with a lot of bullshit anymore, we have much better technology now, how about we use it for once?

Just don't be a dick and enforce your personal views on how a game should be dumped on others, the ROM should be released in the best and fastest way possible, no fucking around, after that feel free to make as many bootlegs as you desire.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
At this point in the Neo Geo scene I will take these unreleased protos any way we can get them; can't be picky. Any type of public release will be a miracle if it ever happens. The scene is in such a sorry state with the amount of known discovered protos being hoarded.

There are so many cool games I've been able to play like Secret Ties on the NES, or Jelly Boy 2 and Cooly Skunk on the SNES, just to name a few. All due to generous donors and preservationists. I want to see the same for the Neo Geo

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Sure, let's just make the process of obtaining the ROM more complicated just for the shit of it, so it feels more authentic.

Well, how about fucking no? Some of us don't like to be stuck living in the past so take off your stupid nostalgia goggles and stop with this shit.
One of the main advantages of living in the "information age" is that things can be made way more accessible to everyone around, no need to put up with a lot of bullshit anymore, we have much better technology now, how about we use it for once?

Just don't be a dick and enforce your personal views on how a game should be dumped on others, the ROM should be released in the best and fastest way possible, no fucking around, after that feel free to make as many bootlegs as you desire.
who are you?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The problem with releasing a prototype as if it were an official SNK release on the store shelf at RRP is that unless you're prepared to sell literally 10's of thousands of copies it will likely never be dumped like the old days.

The attitude to collecting neo geo has become absolutely corrupt today, people are scared to play the games for fear of scratches. Opening the cart, desoldering the chips! That's akin to lighting it on fire to these types.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
The problem with releasing a prototype as if it were an official SNK release on the store shelf at RRP is that unless you're prepared to sell literally 10's of thousands of copies it will likely never be dumped like the old days.

The attitude to collecting neo geo has become absolutely corrupt today, people are scared to play the games for fear of scratches. Opening the cart, desoldering the chips! That's akin to lighting it on fire to these types.

That's sadly true. I think, the good thing is that as I want to have complete control over 100% of the production chain, I don't have to bother with a certain size of production runs. I can order like 10 000 artkits per game, printed material isn't that expensive when ordered in bulk, same for cartridge molds (the expensive things are the offset printing plates and the molds, the final products don't cost that much), and from that I'll be able make the games on order, as the PCBs can be ordered by small batches of 5 pcs or up, and I'll program and solder the chips in-house because I need only Toshiba or NEC EPROMs in DIP format. The specific ICs will be either NOS (even though I don't like it, as it is fundamentally altering something that can't be manufactured again), CPLD replicas. I want to see if it is possible to get custom chips made with the same footprint and engraving, but this I still need to figure out: making an ASIC costs millions so it is out of question, but using existing CPLD dies, mask programmed, then integrated into a custom package, could be a solution. Anyways, we aren't here yet.

The only two selling guidelines I always followed and will always keep on following are:

- Unlimited production run
- Same price as brand new games back then

(between $200 and $300 for AES). MVS prices will also be the same as original games, same for CD, but I need to investigate further the price that SNK sold these ones for because I am not sure of that yet.

I will also respect the time delay between the MVS, AES and CD releases, delay that I still need to make sure of.

And these people don't need to worry, I'll make sure that the boxes scratch the cart as good as original boxes do, and that soft box trays crumble as well as original ones. Current reproduction ones are too sturdy :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That's sadly true. I think, the good thing is that as I want to have complete control over 100% of the production chain, I don't have to bother with a certain size of production runs. I can order like 10 000 artkits per game, printed material isn't that expensive when ordered in bulk, same for cartridge molds (the expensive things are the offset printing plates and the molds, the final products don't cost that much), and from that I'll be able make the games on order, as the PCBs can be ordered by small batches of 5 pcs or up, and I'll program and solder the chips in-house because I need only Toshiba or NEC EPROMs in DIP format. The specific ICs will be either NOS (even though I don't like it, as it is fundamentally altering something that can't be manufactured again), CPLD replicas. I want to see if it is possible to get custom chips made with the same footprint and engraving, but this I still need to figure out: making an ASIC costs millions so it is out of question, but using existing CPLD dies, mask programmed, then integrated into a custom package, could be a solution. Anyways, we aren't here yet.

The only two selling guidelines I always followed and will always keep on following are:

- Unlimited production run
- Same price as brand new games back then

(between $200 and $300 for AES). MVS prices will also be the same as original games, same for CD, but I need to investigate further the price that SNK sold these ones for because I am not sure of that yet.

I will also respect the time delay between the MVS, AES and CD releases, delay that I still need to make sure of.

And these people don't need to worry, I'll make sure that the boxes scratch the cart as good as original boxes do, and that soft box trays crumble as well as original ones. Current reproduction ones are too sturdy :)
Well it doesn't have to be 'sadly true' though does it? You seem to be actively making sure of it. I don't see how you can refute that.

Overall what you describe is a tremendous waste of time, money and energy for a prototype game. Where is the precedence set here for that sort of obsessive focus? Are you after some sort of community respect or is it just a power trip? You say 100% control so I'm leaning to the latter.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
What defalt is basicly saying is he wants to get hold of the game and safeguard it whilst waiting on an impossible set of circumstamces to come to pass. In other words, he is as bad as anyone else sitting on prototype games. Who the f**k would loan you 50k to buy a videogame? What the hell is wrong with you? Pathetic that you are trying to scare people away from the upcoming auction. There are people reading your words with far more than 50k already sitting in their accounts

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I have hopes we'll see a playable .ROM dump of Sun Shine/Block Paradise/Fun Fun Bros. someday. Sooner or later, it has to come out before bit rot catches that prototype and becomes a certified doorstep. Hell, any prototype for other platforms besides the Neo Geo.

geladobom

War Room Troll

MAME devs. have the knowledge to dump the games without giving any scratchs on it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
MAME devs. have the knowledge to dump the games without giving any scratchs on it.
I agree however what Defalt has dreamt up is the idea that it shouldn't just be dumped, no, it should be released elaborately in as close to official cartridge form as possible with the hope that it gets dumped. Why? There is ulterior motive.

geladobom

War Room Troll
I agree however what Defalt has dreamt up is the idea that it shouldn't just be dumped, no, it should be released elaborately in as close to official cartridge form as possible with the hope that it gets dumped. Why? There is ulterior motive.
What motive? Licence enforcement of SNK, to push them in to the court?

geladobom

War Room Troll
Defalt's motive to not just release a .zip
I don´t see any point for not release a simple .zip file if this is already dead for so long in 2004.
And there is more files danger then neogeo, we can see demo's, protos, unfinished games on hiddenpalace from games generated recently and ilegal more then this. Just maybe a miracle with hiddenpalace can tick off the source data.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you can't afford to buy and give the game away, here's what you do:

Obtain the game.
Once in your possession, physically bring it to a known pro who knows how to safely dump it.
Give a copy of the rom file to a well-known and trusted member of this community to prove it's real and can be released.
Make a video of yourself playing the cart as further evidence.
Announce and open donations on patreon and paypal (under an alias to help avoid potential litigation) with the promise the zip will be going out within a short period of time regardless of donations
Release. Collect further donations.
Sell the already dumped and released prototype to further cover expenses.

geladobom

War Room Troll
If you can't afford to buy and give the game away, here's what you do:

Obtain the game.
Once in your possession, physically bring it to a known pro who knows how to safely dump it.
Give a copy of the rom file to a well-known and trusted member of this community to prove it's real and can be released.
Make a video of yourself playing the cart as further evidence.
Announce and open donations on patreon and paypal (under an alias to help avoid potential litigation) with the promise the zip will be going out within a short period of time regardless of donations
Release. Collect further donations.
Sell the already dumped and released prototype to further cover expenses.
Is that hard? :ROFLMAO:

geladobom

War Room Troll
Someone interrested to buy roms and share the dump, maybe that can handle it? Just saying and good luck.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
@geladobom : It's a pleasure to see that there is at least one good person on here! You won't be disappointed I promise! Block Paradise is not the only unreleased game after all ;)

geladobom

War Room Troll
@geladobom : It's a pleasure to see that there is at least one good person on here! You won't be disappointed I promise! Block Paradise is not the only unreleased game after all ;)
Thank you sir. (y)
I'm not like Haze did to me before, treat me like a bully when i was 18 in the internet.
I'm 35 years old, very old, and i wait for the games to be happening, whatever it takes the love i had on this franchise.
Passion on games and emulation at home, just bring me the light to have what i want it.
I want it free, i will give them to everyone free, i don´t ask money for this, a real job is worth to have the money you want it.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
giphy.gif

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
He posted a better version of the how to play screen
he also seems to be considering putting it on public display before auction, here is a bad translation of his latest Tweet:

"In order to get many people to play "Block Paradise", I wonder if I could put it in "Takadanobaba Mikado" for a few days before Yahoo Auction.
MVS → It seems that you can convert for home use, but can you do the opposite?
Of course, the input credit will be paid as the place fee and the electricity fee."

geladobom

War Room Troll
He posted a better version of the how to play screen
he also seems to be considering putting it on public display before auction, here is a bad translation of his latest Tweet:

"In order to get many people to play "Block Paradise", I wonder if I could put it in "Takadanobaba Mikado" for a few days before Yahoo Auction.
MVS → It seems that you can convert for home use, but can you do the opposite?
Of course, the input credit will be paid as the place fee and the electricity fee."
I insist about the bios. If we change the bios we can play the SunShine Intro. Let's see when the rom cames out.