Microsoft buying Activision blizzard for 68.7 billion

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
They tried that already. Nintendo politely told them to go fuck themselves. It would have to be a hostile takeover.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's only a matter of time before the big players gobble up and "consolidate" most of the major developers. I'm not sure if Sony has the resources MS has, and not sure where this will eventually leave Nintendo.
Nintendo has 9 billion dollars in cash on hand, to say nothing of the value of their franchises and ongoing revenues (16 billion in sales in 2021). They could survive 10 more Wii U level disasters and still be fine.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just spitballing here, RE: Nintendo - Activision-Blizzard is also a garbage brand. They make products people use and enjoy (and make money hand over fist) but frankly, they have nowhere near the pedigree and prestige of a company like Nintendo. Blizzard used to but frankly it's been all downhill since WoW. The shareholders at AB just care about turning a profit and they don't care how its done. MS seems to know, in the short term, how to generate sustainable profit and gaming division appears in a much better state today then they did almost a decade ago when they launched the Xbox One.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Japanese companies are not an easy buy for a foreign company, MS would love to get their claws in but they don't have anything.
Sony is barely Japanese now but in Japan they still have bonds with the company.
Even a smaller japanese outfit would give them clout. I think it would be nice if they somehow revived some dead dying or dormant japanese company.
They do have a Japanese game developper through their last acquisition though

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
MS would love to, ahem, penetrate further in to the Japanese market I’m sure.

How has the Xbox brand been fairing in the EU?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Nintendo has 9 billion dollars in cash on hand, to say nothing of the value of their franchises and ongoing revenues (16 billion in sales in 2021). They could survive 10 more Wii U level disasters and still be fine.
I think I read once they where in real estate and made lots of monies that way too

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think I read once they where in real estate and made lots of monies that way too
Generally they keep more cash on hand than any company in Japan. Even ones that are much larger like Toyota.

And there's really no telling what the value of their franchises and other assets are. You could look at the market cap but something tells me if there were actually any rumblings of Nintendo selling, in part or in whole, that value would skyrocket.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
MS would love to, ahem, penetrate further in to the Japanese market I’m sure.

How has the Xbox brand been fairing in the EU?
I think their strategy during the 360 era was on the nose, even if it didn't give them much in terms of audience over there (though a million times more than when the One came out there). I personally think in general we have all lost out in not having more arcadey japanese games being made the way they where up until then.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Surprised Microsoft hasn't bought one of the classic Japanese developers like SEGA, Konami, Capcom, SquareEnix, or Tecmo-Koei by this point.
They won’t let ‘em ,

If anything Apple would buy out Nintendo and sell games on iTunes. It’s a easy entry into the game market and they can definitely afford it , Tim Cook it’s a tight ass when it come to spending the cash holding …hoarding .

Last edited:

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
As for all the game publishers/studio consolidation Not much different the the early music industry own by a few and raking in the profit of artist iam surprise some of those big wig didn’t show up in the Weinstein movement

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Candy Crush makes $1 billion a year for anyone interested....

I did just recently up my stake in MSFT, so I'm hopeful this will move it even more.
Might see the price at $250- 275 in the 2022. Due the tech correction after the fed raise rates .

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
What game of note has Rare made since the N64 days?

I know the new KI had some fans but meh.

There is nothing meh about the new Killer Instinct. It’s like the best fighting game released in the last 2 decades.

Buuuuut....I don’t even know if Rare was really involved with it...I think it was made by Double Helix and Iron Galaxy...?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
There is nothing meh about the new Killer Instinct. It’s like the best fighting game released in the last 2 decades.

Buuuuut....I don’t even know if Rare was really involved with it...I think it was made by Double Helix and Iron Galaxy...?

Oh yeah I didn’t even think about that as far as developer.

I’m just saying rare is meh.