Why AES joystick balls crack

PeterWar

I put my balls in the closet
Last week I bought a Seimitsu LB-30 Black Ball Top as replacement of the original ball that I want to preserve. The original did not have any cracks on top but it had begun to crack at the bottom. You can see that the replacement is not perfect but it matches size and color (although it has a slightly different texture). I've done this because wanna use this controller regularly.

So I replaced the ball and carefully put the original in a closet.

However, when making this pics today for comparison, I've observed that the original ball had begun to crack on top!

I wander if unscrewing it from the handle has had any effect on its integrity, also I don't believe I've stored the original one with the screw hole facing down, it was in an hermetic plastic bag though.

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-19 a las 1.19.32.pngCaptura de pantalla 2022-01-19 a las 1.18.36.png

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
mmxQ1IJ.gif

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Seriously. Of all the fucking dumb posts I've seen on this site in the last 20 years, this has gotta rank among them.

This and your dumbass AES cart condom post... you're really determined to get yourself a rep around here aren't you.

Next you'll be asking us which silk gloves are best to handle carts and hardware with.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I wander if unscrewing it from the handle has had any effect on its integrity, also I don't believe I've stored the original one with the screw hole facing down, it was in an hermetic plastic bag though.
Remember when playing old video games used to be about simply enjoying the games not fucking retarded ass weirdo bullshit like this?..

...terry.330 remembers.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I like to think the original ball tops get better with age like fine wine and women. The cracks add to the character and should be admired. As noted they have a unique texture and resemble a marblelike material. Do yourself a favor and live in the lap of luxury that is the original home cart stick.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I like to think the original ball tops get better with age like fine wine and women. The cracks add to the character and should be admired. As noted they have a unique texture and resemble a marblelike material. Do yourself a favor and live in the lap of luxury that is the original home cart stick.
This is the best post of 2022 so far

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Last week I bought a Seimitsu LB-30 Black Ball Top as replacement of the original ball that I want to preserve. The original did not have any cracks on top but it had begun to crack at the bottom. You can see that the replacement is not perfect but it matches size and color (although it has a slightly different texture). I've done this because wanna use this controller regularly.

However, when making this pics today for comparison, I've observed that the original ball had begun to crack on top!

View attachment 55242View attachment 55243
This has something to do with thermal expansion and contraction. That particular plastic material used to produce the handle/knob is one of the more highly sensative plastics to temperature ,expanding it in warm/hot environmental conditions and then shrinking it when in cool/cold environmental conditions( it weakens it's integrity over time).
The metal shaft and threading going up the center of the handle is a conductor of heat and cooling combined with friction caused during use transfers over into the handle/knob causing it to crack the way you see them now.
Actually not a bad question imo.
BB

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
This has something to do with thermal expansion and contraction. That particular plastic material used to produce the handle/knob is one of the more highly sensative plastics to temperature ,expanding it in warm/hot environmental conditions and then shrinking it when in cool/cold environmental conditions( it weakens it's integrity over time).
The metal shaft and threading going up the center of the handle is a conductor of heat and cooling combined with friction caused during use transfers over into the handle/knob causing it to crack the way you see them now.
BB
The question is perfectly reasonable. The content of the main post comes across as the kind of elitest bile that gaming in general, never mind neo-geo, doesn't need however.

Probably plays his Dreamcast and Model 2 Saturn in the dark so that the plastic can't yellow. Either that or had enclosures made for them. The original shells are in the closet... with his balls.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The question is perfectly reasonable. The content of the main post comes across as the kind of elitest bile that gaming in general, never mind neo-geo, doesn't need however.

Probably plays his Dreamcast and Model 2 Saturn in the dark so that the plastic can't yellow. Either that or had enclosures made for them. The original shells are in the closet... with his balls.
yeah,I know what you mean..no slight toward you.....the freakers made quite the negative impact...
BB

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Man of all the video game systems I own they are the only two that yellowed on me

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever owned any that weren't already cracked.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Its a defective part, that's why it cracks. Don't be such a massive pussy. Play with your toys or sell all your Neo shit. FUCK.

PeterWar

I put my balls in the closet
BB
Thanks for the feedback BB, in this case, removing it from the metal shaft is what caused the crack though.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback BB, in this case, removing it from the metal shaft is what caused the crack though.
The integrity of the handle/knob was already compromised before you started removing it . The metal shaft was tightly screwed in keeping the handle/knob from expanding to a certain point and then when you removed it,the expansion stress increased revealing the crack(s) now.
You should have just purchased a used controller and left the new ones alone.
BB

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Speaking of cracked balls...

Have any of you found any josytick balls in which the cracks are noticeable to the hand of that have caused to miss a chunk of the ball? Seems like every single joystick ball cracks but none falls apart.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

:lol:

Cracked balls never bothered me, adds to the aesthetics and feelings of playing something awesome from the past. You wouldn’t expect a 30 year old Rolls Royce to have no visible wear on any of the seats either.

Sure you could descrew your AES balls between play, cover them in vasaline and clingfilm to keep moist and then put them in a drawer of a virgin’s closet. But that’s just too retarded.

Just buy replacements every 10 years if it really bothers you that much.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Speaking of cracked balls...

Have any of you found any josytick balls in which the cracks are noticeable to the hand of that have caused to miss a chunk of the ball? Seems like every single joystick ball cracks but none falls apart.

That’s accurate from my experience.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The cracks have never affected the integrity of the ball in my experience.