New Star Wars stuff announced

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The sequels just don't even make sense.
Nail on the head.

Its not that they didnt reference stuff from the Clone Wars. In fact, the main-line movies were made for people who watched the first 6 movies in order. Meaning people who went to see the movies, and only the movies.

Force Awakens = A New Hope in a shitty dress
Last Jedi = Literally the shittiest star wars thing ever made - including the Holiday Special.
Rise of Rey = Hey lets get space horses and HEY REMEMER PALPATINE!? REMEMBER WHEN LUKE AND LEIA KISSED? LETS MAKE A STAR WARTS MOVIE!

The only real reference to anything non-film related in Rise of Skywalker was the voice of Ahsoka and Kanaan when Rei was hearing all of those previous Jedi. That's it.

I can give Filoni/Favreau credit for building this expanded universe while working within the constraints of what the pre/OT/sequels did for the mythology. But they are also essentially saying "yeah that shit happened, but we're gonna show you all the COOL shit that happened in the background."

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The prequels are bad movies, but they're full of good ideas and world building. Filoni worked with Lucas directly to spin those good ideas into the Clone Wars, which then spawned Rebels, Mando, and all the rest of the good stuff from Star Wars.

The sequels don't have any new ideas. They rely entirely on nostalgia for the first three movies and have nothing else to offer.

I blame JJ Abrams and his Star Trek reboot being so successful. That, plus an over-correction to the justified backlash against the shitty prequels, got us the sequel trilogy.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
The sequels are horrible. The person who approved that was a marketing Baffoon. Hey let’s remake same old shit with some new characters put in a little bit a of fan service and voila we are done!

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Anybody else disturbed by Boba Fetts teeth in Book of. Looks like , to large cheaply made false teeth.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I blame JJ Abrams. The guy is the most overrated hack on the planet. I know jack sh1t about script writing and movie making but I can say with confidence that I would have made a better episode 7 than him. I can also say with confidence that my gold fish would have made a better episode 9 than him. The guy is a freaking fraud

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Prequels are a fine story told poorly.
Anybody else disturbed by Boba Fetts teeth in Book of. Looks like , to large cheaply made false teeth.

I mentioned the before but why does Mando's costume look so much better than Boba's? Am I crazy but Mando looks like he fits in the world and Boba at times looks like he is wearing a Halloween costume.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Prequels are a fine story told poorly.

I mentioned the before but why does Mando's costume look so much better than Boba's? Am I crazy but Mando looks like he fits in the world and Boba at times looks like he is wearing a Halloween costume.
Mando's costume is brand new in-story; we saw the Armorer forge it on-screen. Boba's is a decades-old hand me down that has been partially digested.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Still don't know how they can explain the helmet dent though if Boba's armor is legit beskar.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Still don't know how they can explain the helmet dent though if Boba's armor is legit beskar.
They said in this week's episode that the beskar spear Mando had can pierce their armor. So presumably he got hit with a blunt beskar weapon at some point.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Mando's costume is brand new in-story; we saw the Armorer forge it on-screen. Boba's is a decades-old hand me down that has been partially digested.
No, I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Mando's armor looks like it was made by a professional prop maker and Boba's looks like it was homemade by poor cosplayer. I'll try to nail down what im saying. I think it may be that the armor just fits Mando better. Mando looks like he is wearing armor, Mando looks like he is wearing a prop at comicon. Not bobas helmet mind you, just his armor. Mostly the chest.

Boba's armor just looks fake. I think it may have to do with the black coveralls he wears. Looks like he just has a piece of injected molded plastic on him. I'll have to watch some eps and nail it down exactly. It could just be me, which is really why I was asking.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
No, I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Mando's armor looks like it was made by a professional prop maker and Boba's looks like it was homemade by poor cosplayer. I'll try to nail down what im saying. I think it may be that the armor just fits Mando better.

Boba's armor looks fake. I think it may have to do with the black coveralls he wears. I'll have to watch some eps and nail it down exactly. It could just be me.
It definitely looks worse. I think it's because they're trying to be faithful to the 1977 original.

lithy

20 Year Member
They said in this week's episode that the beskar spear Mando had can pierce their armor. So presumably he got hit with a blunt beskar weapon at some point.

Wait, beskar can pierce beskar? I mean I guess that makes sense, but I must have missed that. Can the dark saber cut through beskar? I thought I heard that but maybe I am mixing it up with the spear.

It definitely looks worse. I think it's because they're trying to be faithful to the 1977 original.

I don't think the color is a good match and it is a flat paint too, it looks...odd.

But more distracting is that I also think back to just how much more slight in build Bullock was than Morrison. Morrison makes Boba come off like a hulking heavyweight. More like the Mando heavy that challenged Mando this week than Mando himself.

To be honest, the marshall guy in S2E1 of Mando was a way better match physically.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't believe the Darksaber can cut through Beskar. A standard lightsaber can't.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Filoni, you crazy bastard
Spoiler:

Mando
Cobb Vanth
Ahsoka Tano
R2D2
Luke Skywalker
Cad Bane
Grogu

In one episode. Obviously tons of legwork done for Mando S3 and Ahsoka here.

Definitely the best episode so far.

Now just don't blow the finale next week, Rodriguez

lithy

20 Year Member
So Mando Season 3 rolls along.

Spoiler:
So, Luke looks waaaay better in this episode than in the Season 2 finale. The dialogue still sounds awkward, kinda stilted and not very natural. The content of the dialogue though is much improved over Ep8 Luke. To be honest, I wish they would just cast someone to play Luke without all the deepfake bullshit.

Related to that, Ahsoka Tano looks more 'real' too than in season 2 where she looked a little too cartoonish/CGed in. Although that's less of a concern long term than I have for Luke.

I liked the very trope-ish Western shootout in Mos Pelgo (sorry, Freetown). I kinda hope Vanth isn't dead. Get that man some Bacta. I assume this locks in the town on Fett/Mando's side.

The Jawa's hauling around the krayt (I think) skull, lol.

Mando is not graceful hopping out of a starfighter.

Luke recreating the Dagobah training run with Grogu subbing in for Yoda in his backpack was a nice touch.

I know it has been established before this, but the idea that Jedi have to give up all attachments and this idea that anyone past the age of like 5 is too old to train just really does not mesh with Luke's story. Luke is deeply attached to his family. Isolating anyone will only increase their anger, fear, and aggression.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
For those who didn't watch the cartoons and are curious about the character that appeared
Spoiler:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So Mando Season 3 rolls along.

Spoiler:
So, Luke looks waaaay better in this episode than in the Season 2 finale. The dialogue still sounds awkward, kinda stilted and not very natural. The content of the dialogue though is much improved over Ep8 Luke. To be honest, I wish they would just cast someone to play Luke without all the deepfake bullshit.

Related to that, Ahsoka Tano looks more 'real' too than in season 2 where she looked a little too cartoonish/CGed in. Although that's less of a concern long term than I have for Luke.

I liked the very trope-ish Western shootout in Mos Pelgo (sorry, Freetown). I kinda hope Vanth isn't dead. Get that man some Bacta. I assume this locks in the town on Fett/Mando's side.

The Jawa's hauling around the krayt (I think) skull, lol.

Mando is not graceful hopping out of a starfighter.

Luke recreating the Dagobah training run with Grogu subbing in for Yoda in his backpack was a nice touch.

I know it has been established before this, but the idea that Jedi have to give up all attachments and this idea that anyone past the age of like 5 is too old to train just really does not mesh with Luke's story. Luke is deeply attached to his family. Isolating anyone will only increase their anger, fear, and aggression.

Spoiler:
I agree that a lot of the Jedi stuff post RoTJ just doesn’t make sense.

While I very much disliked the route they took with Luke’s backstory in the sequels I did like his realization that the Jedi order is merely dogma, it is not the (only) way to be at balance/one with the force.

I would attribute Luke’s words in this ep to be in line with this new storyline where he tries to restore the order.

I still think his character got shit on in the sequels with the idea that he failed his student and created a new Vader, etc, etc but that’s neither her nor there.

I still think Luke’s portrayal in Mando/Boba/whatever is a repudiation of the (mostly) shit version of Luke in the last Jedi. It’s a literal fuck you to that film IMO.

I do like Luke in The Last Jedi once he stop becoming a cranky old man.

About the Deepfake - literally looked incredible. I wasn’t sure if it was CGI or they got someone who looked like him or what. The voice feels off.

I wish they’d just get someone to play him.

All the Aliens in the show look great, especially the Gamoreans lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
For those who didn't watch the cartoons and are curious about the character that appeared
Spoiler:

I was going to ask about the character but honestly his introduction was so good and summed up all we need to know about him.

I’m sure it was a lot of fun for people who know the character.

I really loved the heavy leaning on Spaghetti Western tropes in this episode.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hey @famicommander are any of the other bounty hunters we see in Empire (4LOM, Bossk, IG-88, Zuckuss, Dengar) in the cartoons?

lithy

20 Year Member
Spoiler:
I agree that a lot of the Jedi stuff post RoTJ just doesn’t make sense.

While I very much disliked the route they took with Luke’s backstory in the sequels I did like his realization that the Jedi order is merely dogma, it is not the (only) way to be at balance/one with the force.

I would attribute Luke’s words in this ep to be in line with this new storyline where he tries to restore the order.

I still think his character got shit on in the sequels with the idea that he failed his student and created a new Vader, etc, etc but that’s neither her nor there.

I still think Luke’s portrayal in Mando/Boba/whatever is a repudiation of the (mostly) shit version of Luke in the last Jedi. It’s a literal fuck you to that film IMO.

I do like Luke in The Last Jedi once he stop becoming a cranky old man.

About the Deepfake - literally looked incredible. I wasn’t sure if it was CGI or they got someone who looked like him or what. The voice feels off.

I wish they’d just get someone to play him.

All the Aliens in the show look great, especially the Gamoreans lol.

Just tossing this all in spoilers to spare anyone that wanders in by accident I guess. Gloves will come off tomorrow.

Spoiler:
I mostly agree with your points about the positives of Luke in Ep8 and a major tipping point for me will be to see how seriously he meant the choice between the mail and the lightsaber. If it is a true test and Luke believes that a Jedi must eschew any attachment to friends, then well...he isn't a very good teacher.

It could be an interesting mirroring plot to see if Luke pursues dogmatic Jedi teaching while Mando continues losing his ultra orthodox adherence to The Way. Or maybe Mando is going to try to redeem himself in the waters of wherever the fuck they said after he admitting to taking his helmet off and Luke will turn back into a teacher of the balance of the Force.

One thing I did see mentioned (I'm not smart enough to have noticed it first viewing) which kinda blew my mind was that the episode opens with a spinning moisture vaporator to echo the spinning windmill in spaghetti westerns. Nice stuff.

One thing I will says is that this series, which does still have it's flaws, at least has me interested enough to talk about it for something beyond how much it sucks.

lithy

20 Year Member
Hey @famicommander are any of the other bounty hunters we see in Empire (4LOM, Bossk, IG-88, Zuckuss, Dengar) in the cartoons?

I'm not the expert at all here, but I believe of this group that Bossk is used most extensively in other media.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I can't wait for the Ahsoka show. It will be the first live action show with Dave Filoni as the lead guy. He's an EP on Mando and Boba Fett and he writes and directs some episodes and creates some characters, but both are still mostly Favreau's shows.

But Ahsoka is his character and it will be his show, and he tends to take Star Wars to some cool places
latest

Screen-Shot-2020-12-30-at-7.07.35-PM.png