Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Encanto.

I like Lin-manuel Miranda's music, but the movie was ok. I liked Coco way more.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Creepshow- A classic. Romero at his best, Stephen King at his most coked up, great cast, great comic transitions, it all comes together so well. It's not perfect but it's easily at the top of the 80s horror anthology sub genre.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The Last Dragon - I pretty much only watch this movie for Sho'Nuff. The rest of the movie is pretty forgettable but I could watch a 4-hour behind-the-scenes documentary of the making of this movie that's just Sho'Nuff deleted scenes and alternate takes.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Julius Carey was so awesome, his chemistry with Bruce Campbell in Brisco County is fantastic as well.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Return of Swamp Thing- Well it's certainly better than the first one, it's still terrible obviously but at least it's fun. Directed by Jim Wynorski (Chopping Mall) and he's toned down the titties and gore and gone the comedy route and made it semi kid friendly. It's still got a lot of weird gross and sexual stuff in though so it's hard to figure out exactly who the target audience is. The creature effects are solid and it's got Heather Locklear in her prime, everyone is hamming it up and it's clear they were all very aware of what they were making.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hitmans Wifes BodyGuard? Something like that. I like Ryan Reynolds, Sam Jackson is always a treat, and Im a big fan of Salma Hayek(s boobs).

It was kinda boring. I dont know if it came out before or after Red Notice, but Red Notice was funnier/more fun. It was a meh.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It came out before and there are two films (Hitmans Bodyguard being the first.)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've seen Hitman's Bodyguard and it was terrible, no clue why they would make a sequel. Maybe the first did well on streaming?

Speaking of shit that shouldn't be made, I found this pretty interesting:

The fact that the real "Turtle" from Entourage is behind all this is hilarious. Fucking "Geezer Tearsers", perfect.

100proof

10 Year Member
Watched that last night. The comparisons to Roger Corman are pretty apt. It's finding the cracks in the film market (drive-in/exploitation theatres and then the new VHS market in Roger's day, streaming and foreign film distribution nowadays) to squeak out a small profit making cheap junk and saving money every place you can (largely by underpaying people eager to get their foot in the door in the film industry). The RLM boys made the distinction that Roger had an eye for young, talented filmmakers who were able to stretch those dollars wisely to occasionally squirt out a decent movie but I don't know that Roger's process was any less cynical.

Honestly, I'd be more irritated with Bruce Willis and Travolta and all of the other washed-up, lazy actors who use their little remaining celebrity to steal money from these productions. Then again, using the cache of a once famous actor's name to sell a piece of shit is a tale as old as the film industry.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I watched that, too. They were trying to figure out why Willis would destroy his reputation and legacy like this, maybe laziness or maybe child support for all his kids by different mothers or whatever. But really, those are best case scenarios. I hope it's something pedestrian like that. There are much worse things it could be that they weren't even considering. Like medical shit he hasn't disclosed to the public yet. If it's just greed and laziness, that would be awesome.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I just hope the dementia rumors aren't true... they fit and make this much sadder

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I just hope the dementia rumors aren't true... they fit and make this much sadder
I've been hearing that for awhile. If it's dementia, that just disappointing for him. I think the last die hard feels like the last movie he hasn't phoned in (not it was great). I think it was when I watched The Prince, it was a real wtf moment. I remember thinking how can you have Bruce Willis and John Cusack and have such a dull movie, but here we are.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I've seen Hitman's Bodyguard and it was terrible, no clue why they would make a sequel. Maybe the first did well on streaming?

Speaking of shit that shouldn't be made, I found this pretty interesting:

The fact that the real "Turtle" from Entourage is behind all this is hilarious. Fucking "Geezer Tearsers", perfect.
When I saw this in my YT feed I honestly thought it was a joke. I had no idea Willis was churning out direct to video films. The last couple I saw of his were released theatrically and were pretty good (Glass and Death Wish).

100proof

10 Year Member
Yeah, I watched that, too. They were trying to figure out why Willis would destroy his reputation and legacy like this, maybe laziness or maybe child support for all his kids by different mothers or whatever. But really, those are best case scenarios. I hope it's something pedestrian like that. There are much worse things it could be that they weren't even considering. Like medical shit he hasn't disclosed to the public yet. If it's just greed and laziness, that would be awesome.

I'd be much more inclined to believe laziness/alimony. There are 25 years worth of stories of him being a dick on movie sets and phoning in performances... the whole earpiece thing stinks of "I don't give a shit, pay me". Sure, that could be a dementia thing too but that wouldn't explain why pretty much no one will put him in a real movie anymore.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Also if he has dementia why on earth would he agree to do broadway? That's not like a movie where you can easily hide your inability to perform in the finished product but who knows maybe his ego can't take the idea of not working and letting everyone know you're ill/weak. I know he's a huge asshole and has been for years so I wouldn't be surprised if he's just at the point where he doesn't give a shit and just pulls in a couple mil every other month by working a couple days.

I'm more shocked at the complete laziness of the movies themselves. I knew they were bad but jesus I didn't know they were that bad. Though I imagine there is a substantial audience of people who watch stuff like that and think nothing of it. It's exactly the kind of shit my dad would have on in the background muted with him napping in a recliner most of the time so he'd never even know how shitty it is.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Glass wasn't nearly as good as Unbreakable or Split.
It really wasn't.

But honestly - it kept in line with Shamalama's MO. The whole 'wrap up the story with tons of loose ends in 5 minutes' endings. Out of the three, I'd say Unbreakable was the best one. But Split was really great.

For that trilogy he actually built a pretty cool universe, and was hoping to see more, learn more about that group that keeps things in check, etc etc -but nope. 5 minute wrap up.

Reactions: wyo

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Razzies gave Bruce Willis his own entire category this year

WORST PERFORMANCE by BRUCE WILLIS in a 2021 MOVIE
(Special Category)

Bruce Willis / American Siege
Bruce Willis / Apex
Bruce Willis / Cosmic Sin
Bruce Willis / Deadlock
Bruce Willis / Fortress
Bruce Willis / Midnight in the Switchgrass
Bruce Willis / Out of Death
Bruce Willis / Survive the Game

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Color Out of Space- As a fan of Richard Stanley's earlier movies especially Dust Devil I was interested to see this. An H.P. Lovecraft adaptation starring Nicholas Cage made by the guy who literally went insane trying to make The Island of Dr. Moreau. It didn't disappoint, crazy shit. Cage delivers again with another unhinged but still controlled performance. Not everything work but all around interesting and well made enough to overlook a lot of flaws. In less creative and capable hands this easily could have been a total disaster.

Reactions: jro

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Eyes of Tammy Faye- This was surprisingly good. I'm not sure how well it would play outside of the US or to anyone under the age of 35 in general. The whole world of American TV evangelists is so twisted and surreal if you're not familiar with it or weren't alive to see it in it's heyday it might seem totally exaggerated or just unbelievable. I had little interest in this movie outside of the costumes/make up but it turned out to be fairly engaging with solid performances and almost fever dream pacing. Jessica Chastain (whom I cannot stand) did all of the singing which was actually impressive. It's not Behind the Candelabra level but it's worth a watch.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Color Out of Space- As a fan of Richard Stanley's earlier movies especially Dust Devil I was interested to see this. An H.P. Lovecraft adaptation starring Nicholas Cage made by the guy who literally went insane trying to make The Island of Dr. Moreau. It didn't disappoint, crazy shit. Cage delivers again with another unhinged but still controlled performance. Not everything work but all around interesting and well made enough to overlook a lot of flaws. In less creative and capable hands this easily could have been a total disaster.
I thought it was pretty great as well yep