Carriage Bolt Size for MVS Control Panel

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Does anyone know the correct carriage bolt size for an MVS control panel (overlay)? Better yet, anyone have a link to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
usually just a washer, locking washer then nut...but any combination should be fine.

Edit: Looking at other parts on the cabinet, there are KEP nuts...but any nut should work.

Spoiler:
I haven't KEP ma nutz out of roker's mom's mouth

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Be careful removing any bolts. The metal has oxidized over the years and has likely released cadmium, which is a highly toxic substance. At least wear disposable gloves and throw the bolts in the garbage.

On the other hand, little goes quite so far as to make an old MVS cab look fresh as shiny new carriage bolts.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Be careful removing any bolts. The metal has oxidized over the years and has likely released cadmium, which is a highly toxic substance. At least wear disposable gloves and throw the bolts in the garbage.

On the other hand, little goes quite so far as to make an old MVS cab look fresh as shiny new carriage bolts.
How do you know that 3KOAM used cadmium plated bolts on big red cabs? Source?

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Source is, you can shine a UV light on your cab and where the cadmium-plated screws have oxidized, there will be small particles glowing.

I'm not a science guy so I'm not going to pretend I know much about it, but my partner has a job working with hazardous materials in artefacts and she poked around both of my Neo cabs. The carriage bolts and a couple of smaller screws in the coin chute lit up.

Apparently cadmium was a common plating until the turn of the millennium as it helped prevent rusting. Until rust forms on the screws and they become highly toxic. Control panel would get the most wear and tear on the machine, so it's the most likely place to use the coating.

FWIW, my cabs only had the oxidization on the underside rather than the bolt head, so playing the machine should be fine.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Talked to my partner, and apparently cadmium shows up orange under a UV light. It's possible some cabs will have it and others won't--I'm speaking from experience looking into my cabs and not wanting to risk my health.

LordsXO

n00b
Just bought some M5 x 20, too small, I had some 5/16 bolts sitting around, way too big, same with 1/4 by a smiggin. Took out a caliper and it's 6mm. Just happened to have 2 M6 x 16 in something else, I tried those and they fit perfectly.

So the correct size would be in Stainless Steel:

M6x16

Now, what are the correct nuts? A flange nut, a regular one with a lock washer?

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Just bought some M5 x 20, too small, I had some 5/16 bolts sitting around, way too big, same with 1/4 by a smiggin. Took out a caliper and it's 6mm. Just happened to have 2 M6 x 15 in something else, I tried those and they fit perfectly.

So the correct size would be in Stainless Steel:

M6x15

Now, what are the correct nuts? A flange nut, a regular one with a lock washer?
Deez nutz

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Cadmium exposure from a few old rusted nuts and bolts... this is like a fear of silicosis from drilling a few bricks.