*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

geladobom

War Room Troll
I've known Billy for a long time, if he says it's safeguarded then it's safeguarded. I can't see why he'd lie and ruin his reputation. When it comes to archiving and preserving prototypes, a persons reputation is their lifeblood.
I believe in you Tempest.
The other one's unsecured, lost or gone, it must be in japan and south korea, it is impossible this ones go away. The machines are not dissapear, because there is two made for PGM2, they exist and never was lost it. I must be anywhere in Japan too. The owner or the neogeo company owner's have a copy of it. Or someone have it in private, as i read rumours for years telling they are in secret preserved. Japanese collectors are obssesed perserved content.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I've known Billy for a long time, if he says it's safeguarded then it's safeguarded. I can't see why he'd lie and ruin his reputation. When it comes to archiving and preserving prototypes, a persons reputation is their lifeblood.
Publicly share the ROMs. Safeguarded forever.

But why do that when people can keep gaming history locked up tight so they can brag and feel important?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I believe in you Tempest.
The other one's unsecured, lost or gone, it must be in japan and south korea, it is impossible this ones go away. The machines are not dissapear, because there is two made for PGM2, they exist and never was lost it. I must be anywhere in Japan too. The owner or the neogeo company owner's have a copy of it. Or someone have it in private, as i read rumours for years telling they are in secret preserved. Japanese collectors are obssesed perserved content.
Two what made for PGM2?

The tea puzzler and the beyblade game?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member

But why do that when people can keep gaming history locked up tight so they can brag and feel important?
I'd love to play these prototypes. but at least if they're 'safeguarded' they're not going to be lost forever when the EPROMs start going bad or the battery on the memory card dies. As long as they're dumped then there's always a chance they'll get released some day. It's the protos that have never been dumped and are sitting on some randos shelf somewhere that worry me. We've already lost undumped protos due to floods and fire.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm much rather the ROMs be out there, then presume they're safeguarded based on word of mouth.

There is no reason to keep those ROMs vaulted outside of ego and greed.

geladobom

War Room Troll

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I'm much rather the ROMs be out there, then presume they're safeguarded based on word of mouth.

There is no reason to keep those ROMs vaulted outside of ego and greed.
Same, but some level of 'safeguard' is better than none. In the Atari world at least there are so many prototypes that have surfaced on ebay, were bought by an unknown individual, and then disappeared. Have they ever been dumped? Have they already been lost? We'll never know.

Also sometimes there are reasons a rom can't be released. I have a few Atari ones that fall under that category because I was given them to review and examine, but only under the condition that I never give the rom out. Sure I could do it anyway but then my reputation is shot and no one would ever trust me with a prototype ever again (plus I'm a firm believer in 'my word is my bond'). I don't know if any of Billy's protos fall into that category or not.

Personally I really want to play Last Odyssey and Fun Fun Bros. Both of those look like they could be so much fun.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

The chances of any neo proto being publicly released from the current known owners is practically zero. I used to care, but it's just not worth it anymore. When this much money is involved, no one is going to just give it away. Even those who were preaching "community releases" changed their minds when they got a hold of an actual proto. 🤷‍♂️

geladobom

War Room Troll
Same, but some level of 'safeguard' is better than none. In the Atari world at least there are so many prototypes that have surfaced on ebay, were bought by an unknown individual, and then disappeared. Have they ever been dumped? Have they already been lost? We'll never know.

Also sometimes there are reasons a rom can't be released. I have a few Atari ones that fall under that category because I was given them to review and examine, but only under the condition that I never give the rom out. Sure I could do it anyway but then my reputation is shot and no one would ever trust me with a prototype ever again (plus I'm a firm believer in 'my word is my bond'). I don't know if any of Billy's protos fall into that category or not.

Personally I really want to play Last Odyssey and Fun Fun Bros. Both of those look like they could be so much fun.
You said Atari? Look what they released this week.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Interesting. I was honestly wondering if anything from MotW 2 still existed. I wonder what he has?

geladobom

War Room Troll
I found some old trash info from Multipass user. But it looks good if anyone is interrested to save it.
And i just believe those 2 and 3 versions are the neogeo pocket versions and not official neogeo releases.
For example Neo Turf Masters 2 - It's Neo Turf Masters from NGP. 😂🤡

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The chances of any neo proto being publicly released from the current known owners is practically zero. I used to care, but it's just not worth it anymore. When this much money is involved, no one is going to just give it away. Even those who were preaching "community releases" changed their minds when they got a hold of an actual proto. 🤷‍♂️
I respect the personal investment people have put into these things, but I just find funny that you'd think 20 years later some people would have found a greater purpose in life other than playing arcade floor reject illuminati. The amount of dick sucking some still get in hopes of releasing something, anything, is absolutely preposterous.

Big respect for people that actually contribute to the community selflessly though. That is something deserving praise. As for preservation nonsense, there's a virtual infinity of great games available behind two clicks of a mouse, I'm not losing my sleep because someone paid 50 grand on some silly pinball or block kuzushi game deemed too redundant for release. Neat if it gets publicly available, meh otherwise.
(It's always more fun to look at an unreleased game from a distance anyway, to keep the mysterious aura around ;) )

geladobom

War Room Troll
I found something strange here using wayback machine.
If i do this to xacrow old page: https://web.archive.org/web/20120922020617/http://unibios.free.fr/xacrow/
If i remove the xacrow name, it will go like this: https://web.archive.org/web/20121017073354/http://unibios.free.fr/
Woah!!

The guy who shared the bios file is the real xacrow guy? Yes it is. :devilish:
ooops it's a frech guy and that means is https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?members/defalt.24905/
The reason i saw a french fórum showing a few unfinished games from NEO BITZ by Jeff Kurtz and he buy it.
Found the website when defalt appears: https://www.neogeo-system.com/

Magical Drop 3 Prototype: https://www.auction.fr/_en/lot/cart...totype-de-studio-du-jeu-magical-drop-16924263

Attachments

• 1601898753374484.jpg
    1601898753374484.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1602579339807111.jpg
    1602579339807111.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1602579342190014.jpg
    1602579342190014.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1602579343821209.jpg
    1602579343821209.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

geladobom

War Room Troll
I propose creating a second internet for idiots spreading misinformation. Maybe Donald Trump can start it. Like a darkweb for morons.
I'm just a checker. 🤪

King of the Monsters (Prototype)

Attachments

• King-of-the-Monsters-PROTOTYPE-SNK-Neo-Geo.jpg
    King-of-the-Monsters-PROTOTYPE-SNK-Neo-Geo.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 5
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 6

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I think the Magical Drop proto was for sale last year for ages, they couldn't sell it
The only MD3 proto/pre release cart I know of that couldn’t sell was the Data East labeled clear MVS cart that was on Yahoo for around 80,000 yen or so. That sat around for quite some time. That cart appeared to be final/near final, and I suspect it’s use was for the 1997 AOU show.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
The only MD3 proto/pre release cart I know of that couldn’t sell was the Data East labeled clear MVS cart that was on Yahoo for around 80,000 yen or so. That sat around for quite some time. That cart appeared to be final/near final, and I suspect it’s use was for the 1997 AOU show.

It was the final ver as the crc32 on the roms was the same. Which is why it never sold.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
That's an interesting question. We all know about the protos of unreleased games, but how many WIP or Beta protos exist for the Neo Geo?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Well I've personally seen WIP versions of Riding Hero, Last Resort, Puzzle Bobble, and Burning Fight. Billy has some screenshots of others on his site but I don't think the roms for those have turned up. Actually I don't think the rom for that Riding Hero proto has ever turned up either.