Framemeister Expert help needed! (SNES Jr RGB mod sync issues)

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
So, long story short, my friend has a framemeister, hes got a SNES Jr., I preformed the Voultar RGB amp board mod. (The new board which doesnt require manually bridging a solder point for anything or doing a seperate single wire mod for rerouting Csync as that used to be needed with his old boards) I hooked it up via scart cable to my BVM in the following way:

SNES Scart cable>Female Scart socket cable that terminates in RGBS BNC (dont know if my female scart socket cable has sync stripper) and it plays perfectly.

My SNES SCART cable is a very cheap older unbranded chinese job.

I take it over to my friends place, we hook it up directly to his Framemeister's RGB in port (with Female SCART socket to Mini DIN adapter of course) via HIS Retro Gaming Cables SNES SCART cable (wired for Csync). This initially produces NO picture. We do have sound. After going into the sync options and dialing the sync level to around 5 or 6, we get EXTREMELY intermittent picture. Visible for half a second then gone for a few seconds etc.

Im thinking its just a bad cable. Its been in his setup for a while, he used to use it with an old model 1 SNES and it seemed to work fine. Physically, part of the SNES side connector has started to deteriorate and break (as all of my RGC cables eventually did) but I dont see any wires showing through or anything. We hooked his old SNES up again this way and initially got no picture at all but after trying about 5 times of re seating the game we got it to display fine with no drops, so maybe was the console or dirty game?

We also hooked the same cable up to his NS1 N64 thats also had Voultars RGB mod and we get no picture at all. (again this N64 displayed fine on my BVM setup with cheapo Chinese cable)

My thoughts are, he either needs some sort of sync stripper? OR The cable is trash? Or maybe theres something the Framemeister isnt liking here, sync wise?

We are at a total loss, any help is appreciated!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Dumb question, is the cable wired for JP21 or Euro SCART?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Voultar's mod has a jumper on it to adjust the sync setting to match your cable, as some SNES RGB cables have a resistor on the sync line and some do not. I'd guess that the mod board is set to the opposite of that RGB cable and the Framemeister is too picky with sync to just be able to take it.

Crappy cable is also a possibility. I think they're better now, but I remember threads on Shmups talking about how RGC cables were trash. They seem to be the cable of choice for the retronoob community since the people who make good cables don't regularly have them in stock. FWIW on SNES I had to buy some big dick $50 RGB cable from a dude in Scandinavia before I got one I liked. HD Retrovision cables are also solid, but I don't recommend those with a Framemeister since the FM's component line sucks ass.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Voultar's mod has a jumper on it to adjust the sync setting to match your cable, as some SNES RGB cables have a resistor on the sync line and some do not. I'd guess that the mod board is set to the opposite of that RGB cable and the Framemeister is too picky with sync to just be able to take it.

Crappy cable is also a possibility. I think they're better now, but I remember threads on Shmups talking about how RGC cables were trash. They seem to be the cable of choice for the retronoob community since the people who make good cables don't regularly have them in stock. FWIW on SNES I had to buy some big dick $50 RGB cable from a dude in Scandinavia before I got one I liked. HD Retrovision cables are also solid, but I don't recommend those with a Framemeister since the FM's component line sucks ass.
I just got a RGC in with a console I picked up...and its pretty damn cheap. Weights NOTHING for a SCART cable. It must be made at the bleeding edge of cheap

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Man. This is a really complicated question. I’ve never had an issue getting a SNES to sync to anything of quality and I’ve never modded any of it. My SCART cable is a POS like everyone else’s too.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm surprised by all the RGC vitriol. I've bought a number of cables from them and they've always worked perfectly and given a great picture.

Who would you guys generally recommend for HQ RGB scart cables?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’ve never seen a high quality SCART cable. It’s a fundamentally shit design to begin with all the ones I have smell like the inside of a 90s Harbor Freight.

I’d imagine first party RGB21 cables would be the least shitty. Those tend to be scarce though…

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm surprised by all the RGC vitriol. I've bought a number of cables from them and they've always worked perfectly and given a great picture.

I've used rgc cables for years. The newer cables are higher quality but never had a issue with the older cables. Cheapo scart switches gave me problems.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Problem is, she's so busy that she only opens up orders once in a while and sells out quick.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Do you have an adapter to take the scart to JP21 for the Framemiester or are you plugging the scart straight in?
JP21 and scart are 2 different pin outs

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

Problem is, she's so busy that she only opens up orders once in a while and sells out quick.

Ive just orderd a batch from her under her custom cable maker, and Ive instructed my friend to do the same. Im done with RGC because of physical deterioration and now this.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Do you have an adapter to take the scart to JP21 for the Framemiester or are you plugging the scart straight in?
JP21 and scart are 2 different pin outs

Yep the adapter that we use is correct in re routing the pinout. Though, I think that was also made by RGC lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use the Voultar board with the Framemeister with no issues. My guess is it's a bad cable.

I use both the older RGC cables and the newer Packpunch ones from them, and unfortunately I've had to resolder the scart side on multiple cables.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

I will check her out - professionally, not metaphorically... unless she's hawt of course ;)

I'm using RGC for my CDZ, Mega Drive and PS2 and they work fine. No real need to upgrade tbh.

I'm using official scart with AES, Dreamcast, & Gamecube.

I can't remember where my PC Engine and Saturn cables came from.... meh.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I will check her out - professionally, not metaphorically... unless she's hawt of course ;)

I'm using RGC for my CDZ, Mega Drive and PS2 and they work fine. No real need to upgrade tbh.

I'm using official scart with AES, Dreamcast, & Gamecube.

I can't remember where my PC Engine and Saturn cables came from.... meh.
She's not.