Cobra Kai: Anyone watching?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
S4 better than S3 and S2? I dunno buddy, I am 4 episodes into S4 and I am just not getting into it as much as I thought I would. Hopefully things pick up. Will try and finish in the next couple of days.
Just wait until Terry Silver starts doing Terry Silver things.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sounds like they're not going to sit on season 5 for a whole year. They're going to release it in June or July according to the show's social media.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Yeah I’ve just rewatched series 3 which I didn’t remember because it was dull, and 1 episode into series 4 and it’s… still not great. I’ll keep going, sounds like it picks up later in series 4 based on the comments here.

famicommander

15 Year Member
S5 predictions
Spoiler:

Obviously Mike Barnes will be back. Looks like this season will be them exploring what would've happened had Barnes defeated Daniel in the tournament in Part III.

I think Tory's mom is going to die and she'll reach out to Amanda LaRusso for help, and that's where we'll get the link to Julie Pierce. Tough, angry girl with dead parents seems like the kind of person they'd call Julie in order to help. This will probably be the tease for season 6. We got Kreese at the end of season 1, Terry at the end of season 3, the Barnes tease at the end of season 4.

I did not at all expect to see Chozen back but clearly he'll be a big factor in season 5. I look forward to the students finding out about how he ziplined into a castle dressed like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat to challenge Daniel to a duel to the death.

Seems like Johnny's trip to Mexico to find Miguel will mirror Daniel's trip to Okinawa in season 3. I hope they get through it quickly and we can finally get a new, settled dynamic between Johnny, Miguel, and Robby. I'm about done with the whole jealously angle. I'm assuming Johnny will ask Robby to watch his house while he goes to search for Miguel, since Robby won't be crashing at the Cobra Kai dojo anymore.

Interested to find out what kind of shit Miguel's dad is into, though.

Kreese is obviously going to meet someone important in jail. We know Dutch is in jail and Kreese ending up in jail with one of his students would be pretty fitting. Or maybe he'll meet Tory's father there, since Kreese does seem to have more of a bond with Tory than any of the other students.

Daniel's son going to have to learn karate to protect himself from the monster he created.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Carrie Underwood almost ruined the whole tournament...Why didn't they go with Joe Esposito You're the best. I watched it again but put Esposito song and its so much better.

Also the prom, it would been nice if they were playing New Edition Earth Angel for a bit before Robbie & Tori showed up.

Missed opportunity, but this was a good season.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Actors real life ages

Johnny Lawrence - 56
Terry Silver - 59
Daniel LaRusso - 60
John Kreese - 75

Funny that Silver is supposed to be Kreese's peer when he's actually played by a guy younger than Ralph Macchio.

Thomas Ian Griffith, who plays Silver, is actually the most legitimate martial artist in the cast. He has been a black belt in Taekwondo for over 40 years, and does most of his own stunts in the show because he's better than the stuntmen. William Zabka, who plays Johnny, is a second degree green belt in Tang Soo Do Karate (which is the actual real life style Cobra Kai is based on); about halfway to a black belt. He was also an accomplished folkstyle wrestler in high school. The kid who plays Hawk is a purple belt in karate and also trains muay thai and BJJ. And the kid who plays Robby grew up in Taekwondo and had been training muay thai for 8 months when he got the audition for Cobra Kai.

Macchio to this day has no actual experience or skills.

Martin Kove, who plays Kreese, seems to actually be a badass as well. He's a black belt in a traditional Okinawan style of Karate called Te and has also studied Taekwondo, Kendo, Shotokan Karate, and Shaolin Kung Fu among others.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I never caught this show (hell I don't watch mush of any TV nor have the time) but I have to say that I was both 1) impressed that this got made and 2) impressed with the angle the took with the show (which I believe was reversing the roles of Daniel & Johny.

I I not not sure of how this progressed story wise but it does seem that it is doing well as it's still on but I am genuinely happy for the people involved as it;s cool to see an old series brought back with a new spin & have it do well. Lord knows there is a sea of shit out there today.

famicommander

15 Year Member
FZvBpCfUcAAo1gC

Sean Kanan confirmed to return as Mike Barnes for season 5. He's one of the ones who actually knows multiple styles of karate, having studied Shotokan as a teenager and then Shito-Ryu and Tang Soo Do before and during the filming of Karate Kid Part 3.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
When are they going to get Al Bundy/Ed O' Neill on this show? Dude's like a quadruple black belt in karate.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I don’t care but they need to show more of Kreese’s girlfriend in season 5

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sony is rebooting the film series again, and again they're making a movie about Kung Fu and calling it Karate Kid.

This time a Chinese kid moves to Brooklyn and teaches a grown man Kung Fu for some reason.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You'd think with the pandering to the Chinese that these studios would be a little more careful with the Karate=Kung Fu bullshit.

Then again who knows how the movie will be titled and marketed over there, could be called The Obedient Kid Who Travels to America and Teaches Ignorant Foreigners the Majestic and Superior Art of Government Sanctioned Wu Shu. And all black people will be digitally removed and replaced with Wen-Wen Yu.

famicommander

15 Year Member
cobra-kai.jpeg

Terry Silver's new business partner is the granddaughter of Kim Sun-Yung, who was the man that originally taught Tang Soo Do Karate to Kreese and Silver. The creators of the series have said that this man was the only other person in the franchise they consider on the same level as Miyagi.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
First two seasons were amazing and even better than the movie sequels. Third season was alight and a good continuation of the story. Season four didn't matter and I doubt anything from now on is going to be worth watching a second time.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The writers are teasing that someone will die this season on Cobra Kai.

The most obvious guess would be Kreese. He's the oldest actor in the cast at 75 and it seems he's been supplanted as the primary villain by Terry Silver.

It would be really ballsy to kill off Daniel. Of course they won't, but it could take the show to some interesting places.

I could also see Terry Silver dying some hilarious cartoonish death.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Could they kill off Daniel’s daughter? She’s the most wooden actor of all the kids.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Seems doubtful.

I still need to have a scene this season of Daniel and Chozen explaining to the students about the time Chozen dressed up like a Mortal Kombat character and ziplined into an ancient castle to challenge Daniel to a death match.