Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm still messing with different settings here.

The most common issue seems to be with games that require Direct 3d. I got Yooka-Laylee and Night in the Woods running by adding PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 to the advanced options in the Heroic Launcher. They're syncing their saves with the Epic store and everything. It's great.

This hasn't fixed 20XX, which is still throwing D3D errors.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That recent Fire Pro...? Probably emulated stuff mostly.
I'll have to look around, I have not installed an emulators on my Steam Deck yet mostly because...emulation isn't something that really interests me that much. I know people are crazy for it but...eh. I mean I guess there is some Atomiswave and Naomi stuff I'd like to play but I have almost zero interest in emulating consoles (okay, I'd like to emulate Saturn to play Shining Force 3 and Dragonforce)

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I'll have to look around, I have not installed an emulators on my Steam Deck yet mostly because...emulation isn't something that really interests me that much. I know people are crazy for it but...eh. I mean I guess there is some Atomiswave and Naomi stuff I'd like to play but I have almost zero interest in emulating consoles (okay, I'd like to emulate Saturn to play Shining Force 3 and Dragonforce)
I'm the same with the emulation I'm just using it for games that I think would work well on the steamdeck or isn't on steam like alien hominid.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Don't update the latest version. I am getting major freezing on my games. :cry:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
No freezing, but my deck will sometimes turn off randomly. Hugely annoying.

Seems to work better after turning off and on again.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damn, haven't encountered that.

I got a few stutters here and there in a certain section of Stray but that's it. That's the only intensive game I've played, aside from Vampire Survivors which I read has bogged down some people's decks when you get about 23+ minutes in and the screen is filled with enemies.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Damn, haven't encountered that.

I got a few stutters here and there in a certain section of Stray but that's it. That's the only intensive game I've played, aside from Vampire Survivors which I read has bogged down some people's decks when you get about 23+ minutes in and the screen is filled with enemies.
Vampire Survivors is what it shut off during. Kept losing stuff I unlocked. Thankfully after full shutdown, I haven't had problems.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
yeah weird, I hadn't played vampire survivors in a few days. played tonight and unlocked some more stuff and another level (level 5) this game is weird and bizarrely cryptic about how you get stuff, almost like they're trying for a dark souls vibe. Currently trying to figure out wtf is up with level 5.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I just completed Save room a resident evil 4 style management game. Really good fun.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i missed my e-mail notification in July as i hardly ever open up my steam account. Luckily they were able to send me another invitation. Hopefully i can get it before my birthday.

Can you use Fightcade on this? How is the pc xbox game pass?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Man I forgot how nice it was that demos were a thing.

Been trying out Death Trash. It’s like a real time pixel art cyber punky fallout. Seems neat. In Early access though. Which I’m not sure what all that means for a single player game.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Got Fall Guys running on the Deck using this guide:

I installed proton 7.15 though instead of the latest 7.29 as some people on r/steamdeck were saying it wasn’t working.

Uhm…I love Fall Guys.

Edit: I did all the stuff in desktop mode on the deck while I was in bed. Navigating the desktop and typing without a KB&M is a bit of a chore.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Got Fall Guys running on the Deck using this guide:

I installed proton 7.15 though instead of the latest 7.29 as some people on r/steamdeck were saying it wasn’t working.

Uhm…I love Fall Guys.

Edit: I did all the stuff in desktop mode on the deck while I was in bed. Navigating the desktop and typing without a KB&M is a bit of a chore.
Yeah it is quite a chore without the keyboard and mouse but im getting used to it. And my new controllers are on it way. NSW-Tiger-5148001_2_aab1b374-da65-4027-ba0f-a6ec455567f2.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No, I’m dumb and followed a guide. It was quite easy.

I presume I can now install any Ubi Launcher game I own?

Trackmania runs great btw.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Been fiddling with it off and on for weeks now. It's a really fantastic system. Stays quiet, feels good in hand, and the plethora of other great features and things people have already said about it.

I do have a few gripes.

Lack of support for Game Pass and Epic game platforms. I'm sure this is temporary, and there are really fiddily ways to get around it, but they don't work particularly well. I think this is going to be a big barrier for greater adoption in the future if they can't work something out.

The thumbsticks are somewhat imprecise and loose feeling. Not the worst, but could be better. I'd kill for an NGPC style click-stick that has some stiffness and better rebound to the center. Something that makes what you're doing feel more precise and deliberate. Perhaps a future mod that may come around?

Emulation still needs some work. Using EmuDeck, and with it, Emulation Station, the controls aren't very intuitive, nor are they easy to access to change. Plus, if you do grab a full romset, there's no way to trim duplicates unless you go in and delete them (which you can't do with merged sets). Plus, when you scrape them to get all the info, art, etc., it doesn't bother to tell you what the differences are, i.e. region, rom set revision, bootleg, etc. Just all the same name and you have to run them to try and found out. Maybe Launchbox has spoiled me, but this is a pain in the butt, especially for arcade emulation.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Been fiddling with it off and on for weeks now. It's a really fantastic system. Stays quiet, feels good in hand, and the plethora of other great features and things people have already said about it.

I do have a few gripes.

Lack of support for Game Pass and Epic game platforms. I'm sure this is temporary, and there are really fiddily ways to get around it, but they don't work particularly well. I think this is going to be a big barrier for greater adoption in the future if they can't work something out.

The thumbsticks are somewhat imprecise and loose feeling. Not the worst, but could be better. I'd kill for an NGPC style click-stick that has some stiffness and better rebound to the center. Something that makes what you're doing feel more precise and deliberate. Perhaps a future mod that may come around?

Emulation still needs some work. Using EmuDeck, and with it, Emulation Station, the controls aren't very intuitive, nor are they easy to access to change. Plus, if you do grab a full romset, there's no way to trim duplicates unless you go in and delete them (which you can't do with merged sets). Plus, when you scrape them to get all the info, art, etc., it doesn't bother to tell you what the differences are, i.e. region, rom set revision, bootleg, etc. Just all the same name and you have to run them to try and found out. Maybe Launchbox has spoiled me, but this is a pain in the butt, especially for arcade emulation.
Regarding epic games did you download from the desktop mode heroic launcher which can be found in the software database it easily runs gog and epic games.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Regarding epic games did you download from the desktop mode heroic launcher which can be found in the software database it easily runs gog and epic games.
Yup, did that. Freezes a whole lot, and games either won't run or install. Played around with some troubleshooting steps I read on the intarwebz, no dice.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ive been playing Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga.

It's a turn based take on Ogre Battle (it looks like Ogre Battle meets Advance Wars.) At first I was a bit cold on it, but as I've continued to play I've really been enjoying it. It's not perfect but there is a lot of content, and a lot to like. I'm at about 20 hours (chapter 20) and I think there are like 30 chapters. Each chapter is a mission/battle, however, once you get further in the game there are side quests you can do, I just knocked out five. There is also some kind of challenge arena system that I haven't messed with, I think they may be random maps/scenarios of varying difficulty and greater rewards as well.

My only gripe initially was each squad you control seems to be made up of named story characters, some of whom (Diana) are fucking OP. I always like rolling my own squads and making my own comps, but lets face it - every time we get Cid the Thunder God in Final Fantasy Tactics we just can't help but use him because he's soo good.

The combat itself is all auto-attacks, ala Ogre Battle, but before you initiate you can select from a few options (aggressive attack, cautious, attack leader, etc) to try and tailor the outcome. There also a lot of dynamics between different troop types in a sort of rock, paper, scissors fashion - for example Pikeman absolutely shred Cavalry, while Cavalry will stomp light infantry. Cavalry also can charge, light infantry suffers no move penalty in rough terrain and can do ambushes, etc. Game appears to be straight out of classic final fantasy with mages, guns, and even some dragons. And also a Rat Man mercenary, though I've encountered no other rat men yet lol.

Worth taking a look at if you're a fan of the genre. Story is pretty straight forward so far, an evil empire, backstabbing, and the inclusion of an outer god. I'm pretty sure the Dev grew up on all the same games we did.

I have encountered no issues with the game on the Deck, other than occasionally the game will load and appear blurry. Switching between windowed and fullscreen seems to fix that for me.

What's everyone's Steam ID? I have a few people from back in the day on steam like Eric, Wayne, ghost Dogg, etc but wouldn't mind adding more people and exploring libraries/wishlists.

EDIT: Also I can play this game for hours before I need to recharge the battery, it's great. I can barely play track mania or stray for that matter before the battery was dead, which is to be expected of course.

Last edited: