*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Of course some jerkoff HAD to reupload the videos with an ugly watermark on top of it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I never understood how releasing the ROMs of protos could hurt a possible sale of the original games. You can download ROMs of every Neo game under the sun but prices for homecarts and MVS stuff are higher than ever and still keep on rising, there's no connection between that and people being able to play the games for free so what's the point of all this super-secret proto hunter bullshite?

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I never understood how releasing the ROMs of protos could hurt a possible sale of the original games. You can download ROMs of every Neo game under the sun but prices for homecarts and MVS stuff are higher than ever and still keep on rising, there's no connection between that and people being able to play the games for free so what's the point of all this super-secret proto hunter bullshite?
it's less about price and more about feeling special and bragging rights

Alphabet

Zero's Secretary
When you are chatting with people online you’re dealing with ego. People have/give a representation of themselves and attributes.

@Takumaji: Your point about the AES/MVS prices is right but we are living in a sad society where the little “me” and instant gratification come first. People what to feel considered and part of something or a community (and a very poor way to make money) - here, when it’s about buying an expensive game. So to speak there is no connection at all.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
No, I didn't say they age like fine wine. For me there are definitely elements of curiosity and lost history/'archaeology' to it. Since I've already played everything released back in the day for my favorite console, there's a thirst to see what else there could have been.

I don't think you and sirlynxalot necessarily want to see these Neo Geo protos stay buried, so I'm not sure what the goal of your argument is.

My position is this - nonplussed.

Do I care if these protos get released / dumped: No, not now. 20 years ago... maybe, but definitely not now.

Given, that since Ghostlop, most, if not all, proto reveals have been giant cock teases by fat sweaty sad comic book guy types / or anorexic vitamin D deficient sociopaths I have no faith that any of these "lost" games will be freely released to the masses. Then drop into the mix raving lunatics like Silly Shitt who would stab anyone of us in the back to keep these games under lock and key so he can go on some fucked up power trip...

Would I play them if given the opportunity - yes, purely out of natural curiosity, and I'm sure most people here would be the same irrespective of how they generally feel about protos... however, I think the expectation that any of these games are any good is fool hardy at best, deluisonal at worst.

Just because the games were deemed not commercially viable in their time doesn't mean they're nothing but garbage today.

Sorry, I have no axes to grind with you, but that statement does kinda of infer you think these games have gained a positive quality to them over time, even though many were canned for the reason that the developer / publisher thought they were garbage back then, let alone today.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Would I play them if given the opportunity - yes, purely out of natural curiosity, and I'm sure most people here would be the same irrespective of how they generally feel about protos... however, I think the expectation that any of these games are any good is fool hardy at best, deluisonal at worst.
Last Odyssey does look really good now that we've seen another video. It appears to maybe have only 12 stages, and it has a janky tiny image of the table that doesn't scroll or fill the screen, so it's easy to see how it wouldn't have been a winner in arcades. However, it has some great pixel art and animation, if nothing else, and that alone has worth.

Sorry, I have no axes to grind with you, but that statement does kinda of infer you think these games have gained a positive quality to them over time, even though many were canned for the reason that the developer / publisher thought they were garbage back then, let alone today.
All I intended to say was that I think a lot of people would be interested to see and play these games now. Perhaps in their time if they had been dumped they would've flown under the radar, but the internet has given rise to a lot of interest in some of these old games and consoles. Their are plenty of people who would find value in them.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Last Odyssey does look really good now that we've seen another video. It appears to maybe have only 12 stages, and it has a janky tiny image of the table that doesn't scroll or fill the screen, so it's easy to see how it wouldn't have been a winner in arcades. However, it has some great pixel art and animation, if nothing else, and that alone has worth.

All I intended to say was that I think a lot of people would be interested to see and play these games now. Perhaps in their time if they had been dumped they would've flown under the radar, but the internet has given rise to a lot of interest in some of these old games and consoles. Their are plenty of people who would find value in them.
you are talking past his points. he never stated no one would be interested or that they have no "value".

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
you are talking past his points. he never stated no one would be interested or that they have no "value".
And what kind of value are we talking about here? Personal value? Or financial gain?

The former I can understand to a point... the value in the discovery, and thus gaining some insight as to why these games were never published. Still doesn't mean they're worth playing / any good.

The latter... well, that's highly subjective isn't it. You can either became a pariah of the neo geo community like that idiot self styled "proto hunter" (more like scroto hunter)... a mercernary like our "Japanese" visitor of late... or a benefactor like Neo Turfmaster.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Still doesn't mean they're worth playing / any good.
This is what gets me. These people seem literally unable to admit that most of these games are terrible and not worth playing for some bizarre reason. It could be the most broken unplayable piece of shit that the company openly says was too terrible to release and they would still defend it.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
The attitude of "these games look like shit, who cares about these prototypes that weren't good enough to be released" is always a very sad thing to see

Look past what you think the inherent quality of the game is and recognize that this is Neo-Geo history that could potentially be lost forever. RoU2022 already loses his entire physical collection in a tsunami, somehow finds the roms on a backup CD, and doesn't realize that the data contained on the CD could also be lost forever if another incident occurs (and one becoming ever-increasingly likely thanks to climate change).

Last Odyssey still looks cool as fuck. Maybe it wouldn't have much long-term appeal, but I adore the design of it. And the music! I want a soundtrack rip of this so bad, it's such a great mix of Neo guitars and Konami orchestra hits. Fuck.

Yeah Crystal Legacy looks like complete shit compared to what Breakers became, but that's just it - the original state of the game looks fascinatingly jank, and noting the differences all the characters have in Crystal Legacy is interesting to me. There probably aren't many people who would care enough to really dig into all the changes, but I would because this kind of thing deserves to be documented... sadly I, or anybody else who actually might give a shit, is not going to get that chance at this rate.

Warlocks of the Fates... looks like it has mechanics that are too weird to feel very fun, but again, I'd love to see it preserved. And it has hot jams too.

Like I said elsewhere, it makes me sad to see other places like Hidden Palace and Forest of Illusion doing a great service to game history by releasing prototypes for all sorts of systems, but it's the Neo-Geo scene that always has this ridiculous arms race involving people who want to feel self-important about owning these pieces of history that really deserve to be better documented. Same ol' shit that's been going on for 20+ years and is probably never going to change, but at least they can go to their grave knowing they had exclusive footage of Dunk Star.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Warlocks seems the most interesting to me. The flying reminds me of astra superstars.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
This is what gets me. These people seem literally unable to admit that most of these games are terrible and not worth playing for some bizarre reason. It could be the most broken unplayable piece of shit that the company openly says was too terrible to release and they would still defend it.

I agree that many unreleased games went unreleased for good reason. And there are many examples of that. But in the same breath, there are games like Fight Fever that DID get released. There is no shortage of released bad games, (NES games by THQ and LJN for example), as I'm sure you are well aware of. And examples of the opposite are also out there, (excellent unreleased games), like 2600 Arkyology, Colecovision Fireman, NES Xybots, SNES Star Fox 2, etc.)

But it's obvious to me that some people are simply missing the point in all this. We aren't "defending" bad games. And the proof of this is that we don't even know if the unreleased games are good or not, but the key is that we don't actually care. That is what causes the divide here. Good or bad, released or not, historical documentation, and whenever possible preservation, is what matters. Books, Movies, Music, Paintings, Art, etc. None of those areas concern themselves with the subjectivity of which works are worthy of attention. And video games are no different.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I agree that many unreleased games went unreleased for good reason. And there are many examples of that. But in the same breath, there are games like Fight Fever that DID get released. There is no shortage of released bad games, (NES games by THQ and LJN for example), as I'm sure you are well aware of. And examples of the opposite are also out there, (excellent unreleased games), like 2600 Arkyology, Colecovision Fireman, NES Xybots, SNES Star Fox 2, etc.)

But it's obvious to me that some people are simply missing the point in all this. We aren't "defending" bad games. And the proof of this is that we don't even know if the unreleased games are good or not, but the key is that we don't actually care. That is what causes the divide here. Good or bad, released or not, historical documentation, and whenever possible preservation, is what matters. Books, Movies, Music, Paintings, Art, etc. None of those areas concern themselves with the subjectivity of which works are worthy of attention. And video games are no different.
shut the fuck up, faggot

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

You know what’s hilarious? That one time that you were probably crying behind the computer because we chased off RoU2022, a proto hoarder like yourself. That was probably the funniest fucking thing ever. You can get fucked no one cares about you.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

You damn right you aren't defending the games. There probably isn't a single person in this thread who cares less about the actual "game" than you.

All you want to do is become the ultimate hoarder of neo protos. Must eat you up inside that this dude has got these ROMs and you haven't.

You're not here to preserve anything other than your over inflated ego and own self serving needs.

You're part of the problem not part of the solution - fuck off.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
You damn right you aren't defending the games. There probably isn't a single person in this thread who cares less about the actual "game" than you.

All you want to do is become the ultimate hoarder of neo protos. Must eat you up inside that this dude has got these ROMs and you haven't.

You're not here to preserve anything other than your over inflated ego and own self serving needs.

You're part of the problem not part of the solution - fuck off.

I like how he always chimes in to try to get the cart number like he’s some kind of video game preservationist.

Hey @SuperGun remember that time you were trying to do a trade with @RoU2022 in plain sight once again trying to hoard shit away from the rest of the community?

Were you ever going to tell us about any protos that you have? You somehow convinced yourself that you’re some kind of hero or asset to the community. Log off and never log back on again. We neither gain nor lose anything. You need to understand that it’s not just my opinion.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
You non-proto owning guys aren’t going to play these games, ok? Just accept it.

It’s like going to a wife swap party without a wife. Sure you may see some tits and asses and cumshots and stuff...but at the end of the day you are just going be left alone wanking yourself wishing you could get in on the action.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
You non-proto owning guys aren’t going to play these games, ok? Just accept it.

It’s like going to a wife swap party without a wife. Sure you may see some tits and asses and cumshots and stuff...but at the end of the day you are just going be left alone wanking yourself wishing you could get in on the action.
moe is choosing death

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

Wut? What's Silly Shitt's personal life got to do with any of this?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Good or bad, released or not, historical documentation, and whenever possible preservation, is what matters. Books, Movies, Music, Paintings, Art, etc. None of those areas concern themselves with the subjectivity of which works are worthy of attention. And video games are no different.

So where's that Dunk Star preservation you're involved with?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So where's that Dunk Star preservation you're involved with?
Oh it's preserved alright. But you ain't ever gonna see it or play it. Not if he has anything to do with it.