Cost of living increases where you live

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Got a letter from the electric company that price per kilowatt hour will go up around 120% even though only 6% of our electricity comes from Russia. In general this whole support & boycott thing is another example of useless virtue signaling that will amount to nothing but quality-of-life downgrades for the average person. I'm pretty sure that if it ever goes to power outs etc. third world shit, the talking heads on tv telling us how 'we all' need to stand for something will not have to experience them personally.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
the-scream.jpg
My landlord told me to double the amount I pay for gas (which I did), but went down with my rent the same time, so I pay about 10€ more than I did before. Granted, this doesn't include electricity.

This is what happens when you make yourself dependent on a villain state and then proceed to piss off said villain state with sanctions (which mostly only hurt us in the long run).

That's what we get for voting weak soyboy social democrats and greens into the government.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Jeez, why don’t you assholes moved to Russia. Putin may let you suck his cock some day before he dumps your body in a ditch.

““Virtue signaling”, how silly. Don’t people know there’s no such thing as virtue? My power bill is all that matters.””

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Jeez, why don’t you assholes moved to Russia. Putin may let you suck his cock some day before he dumps your body in a ditch.

““Virtue signaling”, how silly. Don’t people know there’s no such thing as virtue? My power bill is all that matters.””
why don't you walk out into traffic and get run over by those f-250s? no one gives a shit about your pet peeves, either.

some are complaining about power bills, you complain about egg mcmuffins and f-250s. read the room.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I know this Zeta guy is an idiot but I'll give a serious reply. None of the sanctions have deterred Russia's ability to wage war in any way, all they do is make life harder for the average Ivan, for example this tourist visa ban. Which in turn fosters a us vs. them mentality which in turn grants legitimacy to Putin's actions, he may be an asshole but he's our asshole, etc. There's also the fact that military aid to Ukraine gives rise to Russian antagonism towards the aid-givers, and people in continental Europe like me Shroom will be the first to bear the brunt if the situation escalates.

Russia will continue it's military adventure until their goals, whatever they may be, are fulfilled. The deck is stacked against Ukraine so heavily that the military aid given is nothing but extremely callous virtue signaling because all it amounts to is more dead Ukrainians and Russians.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

oh no, my shitty maccas food now costs 6 dollerydoos, where will I get my saturated fat from now?
having (or rather not having because you can't pay for it) heat and power is a serious problem, not your shitty burgers.
these sanctions don't bother russia, they just keep selling their gas and oil to china or india for cheap, getting money for their invasion that way. in return, we buy the now expensive oil from india. one way or another, russia is getting that money.

I knew you were an idiot before, but holy shit, congratulations on one upping yourself.
I seriously wish american understanding of the world wasn't so insular.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
We poor westerners with shelves full of AES games or Nintendo shit are starving. Russian is harder to learn than most peeps think here. They have 6 cases.
Solidarity with democratic norms stops when our precious wealth is in danger. Didn't take too long and it's not even winter Europe.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Personally I was against this, and Finland's NATO membership from the beginning, so you can take your faux 'democratic norms' and shove them up your ass. How many of your 2101 games have you played btw?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
We poor westerners with shelves full of AES games or Nintendo shit are starving. Russian is harder to learn than most peeps think here. They have 6 cases.
Solidarity with democratic norms stops when our precious wealth is in danger. Didn't take too long and it's not even winter Europe.
Get ready to freeze and starve for freedom, folks. Libs like you are the new neocons. Not everyone can afford these increases. Your fellow citizens are struggling and your attitude is disgusting.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm a low-wage worker, before covid and the war I could compensate for that by shooting small firework shows for birthdays or annual fairs or helping other pyros to set up large shows but that's not possible anymore due to health issues. I haven't had the chance for more than three years now to make someting extra to bring to the bank in order to support us when we'll be too old to work and as things stand, this won't be much different in the years to come.

Now that cost of living is skyrocketing over here I will have to sell a lot of non-essential things to make ends meet, including games and music equipment. We probably won't starve or freeze to death for now but our standard of living which never was very high to begin with will crumble down even more.

Democratic norms? Well, you know how the old Brecht saying goes, erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral. That's the harsh reality.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
In general, if someone honestly thinks that the western support for Ukraine is based on adherence to some 'democratic norms' or 'rule-based international order' (whatever that even means) they are pretty far gone.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If anyone thinks support for ukraine is not in the best interests of the citizens of the countries that are supporting them, there is an argument to be had.

If they think it isn't what the citizens want, they're wrong.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
In general, if someone honestly thinks that the western support for Ukraine is based on adherence to some 'democratic norms' or 'rule-based international order' (whatever that even means) they are pretty far gone.
Yeah. Norms, rules and truths are determined by the leading economic and to a lesser extend political powers. McDonald's did not move out of Russia according to some boycot plan or higher ideals but because war is bad for their business and would have driven cost sky-high. Others like the oil industry make huge profits due to high cost for their products which in parts is not based on the reality of the markets where prices for crude oil per barrel aren't really exceptionally high.

Norms or principles don't mean much. Before the war, most of our lefty gov dummies were sitting deep in Putin's ass, you could find them on every pacifist rally around where they held speeches that made everyones' brains freeze, now they've upped military spendings, deliver weapons to the Ukraine while travelling through the world to buy overpriced fracked gas (another no-go area before the war) and will keep the remaining nuclear power plants running. Not that I would have a prob with that, it just goes to show what a principle or norm is worth these days.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Libs like you are the new neocons.

"Libs like him" were the "original" neocons. The term neocon was created to describe "conservatives" whom adopted an internationalist (IE "Liberal") foreign policy view.

To call an interventionalist liberal the "New Neocons" is to completely ignore the etymologic pathology.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Why wasn't the UK sanctioned after the invasion of Iraq?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
It was also entirely illegal and based on complete lies (Saddam's WMD's and alleged responsibility for 9/11) whereas this Russian war is based on historical precedence and paranoia + the US and EU egging Ukraine on for years in a game of carrot and stick. So, according to your principles, both the US and UK should have been sanctioned for Desert Storm 2, yet they weren't. Why is that, is this one of those "All animals are equal..." scenarios?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It was also entirely illegal and based on complete lies (Saddam's WMD's and alleged responsibility for 9/11) whereas this Russian war is based on historical precedence and paranoia + the US and EU egging Ukraine on for years in a game of carrot and stick. So, according to your principles, both the US and UK should have been sanctioned for Desert Storm 2, yet they weren't. Why is that, is this one of those "All animals are equal..." scenarios?
I agree there should have been consequences for both, I don't agree there should be no consequences for either

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Why wasn't the UK sanctioned after the invasion of Iraq?

Hmmm….

“Black President Bush“ said:
You have a problem with that? Know what should do? Sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait a minute you don’t have an army? Guess that means you need to shut the fuck up.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You’re not really asking why the West sanctioned Russia but not the US and her partners during the Iraq War, are you?

You know why. Has a lot to do with hypocrisy and killing brown people (with beards!)

My only hope is the current war ends and the west condemns any aggression by any state, even the US/UK, etc. probably won’t happen.