Who Had An AES Growing Up in the 90s?

And the games today are EASY! EASY! I never used to buy games with the expectation of beating them. Beating them was a big deal, and took dedication, and grinding. Now, games are designed to be beaten. Remember that Sega Contra game? To this day, if I could get past the first level, I'm good.

Edit: Contra: Hard Corps

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
What's inte resting to note as a data point from this thread, and it might merit a poll, is that most of the original adopters/original 90s owners here saved up for it themselves. They weren't "rich kids," not that's there's anything wrong with being one. That's surprising to me! The stereotype we painted as bratty asshole middle school students were that the rich kids in the rich town were all getting these. And while there are a few stories here of people in that category, I think most are of older demographics who worked towards buying their own. Or maybe those are the examples standing out to me here.

Yes nothing wrong with being rich at all. Why are all those guys staying so quiet? :D You know there must be people here who got a Neo Geo for their birthday or Xmas.

For me then - even if i had the money. It didn't make sense to buy a Neo Geo. I would be buying a SNES with F-Zero, Pilot Wings, Super Mario, Zelda. Those games were expensive enough for me back then. And it wasn't like Metal Slug or the later games had been released yet. When I got Final Fight for the SNES - it really was like the arcade version at home. People are very critical of it now but back then we thought it was 'arcade perfect'.

Neo Geo was just a dream here. I only knew one guy who had one and he was definitely rich (he had rich parents). A lot of the reviews here i the UK (the ones I read anyway) actually were quite negative of Neo Geo games, mainly saying "yes good game but not outstanding or worth the money".

Last edited:

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Afterburner Climax on Xbox 360 but not Xbox One. Why? Sega arcade games look so vibrant and primary colour sexy, and of course great gameplay. I miss them on the modern consoles. Why not more conversions? I have 3 DC. There is a reason...

Anyone with an Xbox One- buy Sega Daytona, then you'll understand what I mean :-)

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Sega has never redeemed themselves for their grave sin of killing the Dreamcast prematurely, and i will never forgive those bastards. They’ve been a complete joke of a company and barely a shadow of their former selves since them. With the death of the dreamcast the video game industry might as well have died too.

That’s because in 2003, Sega CSK was purchased by Sammy and hasn’t been the same since. The people at Sega who defined Sega eventually all left or left immediately during the merger. SegaSammy =/= Sega Enterprises.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What's inte resting to note as a data point from this thread, and it might merit a poll, is that most of the original adopters/original 90s owners here saved up for it themselves. They weren't "rich kids," not that's there's anything wrong with being one. That's surprising to me! The stereotype we painted as bratty asshole middle school students were that the rich kids in the rich town were all getting these. And while there are a few stories here of people in that category, I think most are of older demographics who worked towards buying their own. Or maybe those are the examples standing out to me here.
Most of the stories I've heard of the "rich kids" who had an AES go something like this: Dad brought it home one day. Had it back in the day, got rid of it eventually. Seems like they weren't as compelled to buy a Neo again down the road because they've moved on.

I imagine most of the original AES owners from the 90's have moved on, but some are probably at least nostalgic about it.

Most of the stories I've heard of the "rich kids" who had an AES go something like this: Dad brought it home one day. Had it back in the day, got rid of it eventually. Seems like they weren't as compelled to buy a Neo again down the road because they've moved on.

I imagine most of the original AES owners from the 90's have moved on, but some are probably at least nostalgic about it.

Yeah, I'm sure we've all dramatized it, like most these things we fantasized about it.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
You can even play Soul Calibur with the rod controller. It has some kind of "gravity sensor" built into it (for throwing out the line and moving the line left/right/up/down when the fish bites). And I think it rumbles too. Sooper fun and satisfying when the typical trashy SEGA annoucer says: "Ohh a BIG one!" Get Bass2 is really serious like moving on the lake with your boat and staring at the sonar where to stop and go... fishing! At first my friends thought I'm little strange, then they couldn't stop.

Always loved this:

expertopinion.jpg

Shmuppy

Banned
When I saw Kilik's intro on DC the first time where he shows off his moves and style my jaw dropped down to the floor. So realistic and elegant movements. Soul on Dreamy is really special to me. Thank you for the article.

mannion

n00b
Old thread but I have my own story of getting a New Geo around 1997 in the UK, I was 12 years old. There was no arcades near me so I had never heard of Neo Geo really. My cousin's friend's family ran a game shop and they stocked Neo Geo stuff, the market must have been really niche around here honestly.

I ended up buying an N64 from a kid at school with saved up birthday/Christmas money. I forget how much but a good deal, it had no box etc but in 1997 N64 was very desirable for kids around our age. The kids older brother had got a playstation which they preferred so sold me the 64.

Soon after, my cousin, through some deal ended up with a neo AES and a few games from.yhe family who had the game shop. Fatul Fury Special, AOF and a few more. He had tried to use it but it only displayed black and white, probably due to his crappy pal TV, not sure.

Anyway, he then wanted to get driving lessons so offered me a trade of the Neo for the N64 be sure that would be easy to sell at the time to pay for his lessons. I borrowed the Neo not knowing much about it and fell in love with it. I spoke with the kid (older than me, same as my cousin) who had it originally (his family owned the game shop) and he was like WTF, take it and told me a bit about the system. He gave me some printed A4 stuff from their shop showing prices and explained it all came from Japan.

Shop was called acme games in Gravesend, I remember much later learning it is mentioned in the early Neo Geo newsletters.

I took the trade, my cousin got driving lessons, everyone at school thought I was out of my mind trading an N64 for an old 2D system nobody had ever heard of, part of me thought they were right at the time.

No regrets.

mannion

n00b
After I had it I started trying to find out more about it and started seeing little ads for systems and games in the back of magazines etc and learned all about it all.

I remember when I was in Acme games seeing the games in a glass case and a copy of KOF 96 being there and thinking the cover, and the system altogether was just so cool.

I owned it a long time, got a few more games over the years etc. Sold it all just recently after moving house and going through evetything.

I did spend the money on a blast city and a mistercade which gets played by me, my kids and my friends and their kids all the time though.

Shame to part ways with the Neo because if my history with it but felt a loved arcade cab in the garage is better than a long forgotten Neo Geo in the loft somewhere.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I had an AES, MVS, and a top loader CD in the 90s.
Don't really know how I managed to do it but I did.
I got the MVS from a friend who worked at an arcade distributor and we built a crude supergun to run it on.
I still have it but not powered it up in ages.
2013-12-26 14.50.42.jpg

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
The machine was one thing. Access to the games was another...

The only aes I knew of in the early 90s was traded for ps1 games by the person who had it. I remember being annoyed they hadn't offered it to me... but I doubt realistically I would have bought it since pc hardware was more my thing and I started pretty quickly chasing the japanese ps1 imports....

i remember the first time I got a NeoGeo aes system, It was a Japanese console, So Red Blood and Shaking female cans galore, but here is the thing, I was born in 2004, when the Neo was discontinued, so I wasn’t alive in the neos hayday. But shit i could not afford some of the games on the aes side, because it cost a hell of a lot of money, hell I remember how much it cost for mine, it cost me like $600! That’s a fuckton of money! also the controllers for the aes are pretty scarce on ebay if I remember correctly.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Loose systems are expensive now? I noticed the price going up a bit, but still news to me.
When you see loose junk systems selling near $200, you can't expect the good working ones to be cheap... ;)

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
This thread is hilarious. Didn’t think the Neo was real…yeah, we had magazines back then, and arcades. You don’t need the internet to be invented to prove the Neo existed.

Also, as to the original question, nobody. Nobody had a Neo as a kid. The fucking thing had $200 games. No six year old asks for this stuff, they want Sonic.

And the few people who may have had one as a kid, as a gift from an Arab king or Michael Jackson or Jimmy Saville or whatever are under NDA to never mention it.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
This thread is hilarious. Didn’t think the Neo was real…yeah, we had magazines back then, and arcades. You don’t need the internet to be invented to prove the Neo existed.

Also, as to the original question, nobody. Nobody had a Neo as a kid. The fucking thing had $200 games. No six year old asks for this stuff, they want Sonic.

And the few people who may have had one as a kid, as a gift from an Arab king or Michael Jackson or Jimmy Saville or whatever are under NDA to never mention it.
when i read any of your posts, i imagine you shouting at the screen. why do your posts always come across as being so angry?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
And also they may have won one on that Nickelodeon game show.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

Do you have asperger's?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
when i read any of your posts, i imagine you shouting at the screen. why do your posts always come across as being so angry?
Angry sign of zeta.

Mods know what to do. :lolz: