Warm Vacation

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Hullo.

I have zero experience with vacations outside of New England and NYC. Does anyone know an island location where I could go that will be warm and sunny in October, and is off the East Coast or in the Caribbean? What I'm nervous about is seeing a place online that looks great, but then showing up and it's a dump.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you go to the Caribbean unless you stay at a resort it's a real crap shoot. Even if you do find a nice spot through ABNB or whatever you can easily end up in a shanty town if you walk 5 minutes in any direction. Also everything there is expensive as fuck.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Bear in mind October is still hurricane season in the Caribbean. That being said, have you considered the Florida Keys?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Honestly, We do to Cancun when we want to check those boxes. Anything on an Island is overpriced and far more abusive. Cancun has everything you want in a vacation, and it's cheaper than the other options. We do Mexico almost once a year. Highly recommend.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If you go to the Caribbean unless you stay at a resort it's a real crap shoot. Even if you do find a nice spot through ABNB or whatever you can easily end up in a shanty town if you walk 5 minutes in any direction. Also everything there is expensive as fuck.
That surprises me (never been to the Caribbean), how do the people in the shanty towns afford to live? Is there a locals/tourist dual pricing thing going on?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Bear in mind October is still hurricane season in the Caribbean. That being said, have you considered the Florida Keys?
Yeah, I was wondering about the Keys. I don't know much about them though. For some reason I feel like they're the Long Island of the South?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah, I was wondering about the Keys. I don't know much about them though. For some reason I feel like they're the Long Island of the South?
We have stayed on a few of the islands. I think you would like Key West.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
ABC islands, take a cruise out of FL or PR. Royal Caribbean has great itineraries. If you don’t want to fly from NE to down south for your starting point, there are some Caribbean cruises that leave from Port Beyone, NJ (within view of the Statue of Liberty…an easy drive from you).

1) Bermuda
2) Aruba
3) Bonaire
3) Curaçao

A cruise w/ Aruba on the menu is great in October, because Aruba is outside of the hurricane belt. A shore excursion to Loco Rancho is a great time; horseback rides through Arikok National Park, up the hillsides where you can view Venezuela on a clear day.

The Florida Keys are a great time also; many cruises stop over for the day before steaming further south.

Bahamas isn’t worth much more than a weekend trip to me…same w/ DR & Haiti.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oooooh, someone is going on a romantic vacation.

How much are plane tickets to Thailand?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Oooooh, someone is going on a romantic vacation.

How much are plane tickets to Thailand?
I can't fly that far. I refuse to urinate in planes. Therefore I am limited to about a six hour flight. Maybe eight if I skip the free drinks.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Come to Australia, specifically Surfers Paradise as it's good at that time of the year without being too hot. Also just get some xanax and knock yourself out for the flight so you don't have to pee in the air.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Spend the extra shekels and leave the country. Florida just isn't the same.

The Caribbean is great in October/November (though there's always an outside chance of tropical storms/hurricanes). Done all-inclusive resorts in the Bahamas and Jamaica a couple times and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Check out Sandals (they have spots all across the islands) or Couples (just in Jamaica) if it's just you and the wife. Or Hedonism II if you're trying to get your freak on lol.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can't fly that far. I refuse to urinate in planes. Therefore I am limited to about a six hour flight. Maybe eight if I skip the free drinks.
You're a character right outta movie. Incredible

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm not quite that bad, but Im very mindful of my bladder before boarding a plane. I avoid liquids at least an hour before boarding.

Personally, I still avoid all the Caribbean islands. Jamaica I'll never go back to, and I strongly advise others to avoid it as well. Pureto Rico is actually decent but it's more expensive than Mexico.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Got to ask, why? I guess I can understand not wanting to take a shit, but a piss?!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Got to ask, why? I guess I can understand not wanting to take a shit, but a piss?!

It all started when I was about five years old. My family was visiting some friends, and their sons were one year old than me and one year younger. The older one was making fun of the younger one for still sitting to pee. At that point, I too was still sitting. Though they obviously didn't know that, I still felt embarrassed and promised myself I would never sit to pee again.

That same year, my aunt decided to take me on a vacation to Weeki Wachee Springs State Park. This was also my first flight. The attendant kept giving me apple juice. I'd finish the juice box and she say, "More apple juice little baby apple boy?" and then cackle. Eventually I needed to use the bathroom, what with all the apple juice. My aunt asked if I could hold it and kept procrastinating. Once I reached an emergency situation, she finally took me. A large man exited the bathroom and she shoved me in and closed the door. The bathroom was a good 10 degrees hotter than the cabin because this man had left an atrocious turd in the toilet. I flushed it away, but the smell and fecal humidity remained, making me feel light-headed. That's when it hit me. The toilet was abnormally high – there were grab bars for handicapped people, but those would be no use for me. I could never hit the toilet bowl from a standing position, and I certainly wasn't going to break my oath. I panicked. Eventually, I took my pants and underwear off, stood on the toilet, and tried to pee straight down into the bowl. About five seconds in, the plane must have hit turbulence – I was thrown from the toilet and hit my head. I was knocked out cold. I woke up with my pants off, my penis exposed, and urine all over me. It felt like the entire plane was laughing at me. My embarrassment had led to even greater embarrassment. I promised myself I would never urinate in a plane again. It has been 30 years.

StevenK

10 Year Member
If that's true that's a great story, if you just made that up it's even better

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
That settles it - I’m never going to stand on a toilet and try to piss straight down into it again.

StevenK

10 Year Member
That settles it - I'm never going to try to learn how to stand up piss.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
:lolz: I actually had never been on flight until I was like 27. I just can't stand long flights. I've had to do Boston to Vegas and Boston to SF for work and they were absolute torture. I'm planning on going to Japan next year and will happily spend more money on first class comfort.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That was good enough that you should have just let everyone believe it was real.

One time when I was around 4 or 5 my family went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant and I had to pee bad enough that my parents could tell. My dad pointed me to the bathroom. I went in and it was very dark, there was some guy using the urinal, I waited for him to leave then did my business. When I went to leave I apparently got disoriented and instead of going to the same door I went to a closet or something that was locked. I freaked the fuck out and started pounding on the door and screaming thinking I had somehow been trapped. Apparently no-one heard me over the music and kitchen noise. After a couple minutes I gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be stuck in there forever. I sat down and cried. Then the door on the opposite side of the room opened up and it was some employee who didn't speak english, he just looked at me puzzled and said something in spanish which was probably just "are you okay?" but I thought he was angry. I ran out past him and back to the table visibly panicked and embarrassed. I told my parents what happen in between sobs and they just laughed hysterically.

To this day I have never used the bathroom in a Mexiacan restaurant.

Last edited: