Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Finally it's coming.
But I don't know where find it in Europe.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Hey, let's bump this garbage thread. I just ordered an Anbernic RG353M (sidenote: I have an RG351MP and an RG552 in my sales thread for cheapsies)

Should be getting it in the next week or so and can post my thoughts for nobody. Curious about the Saturn performance.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Also the new Retroid Pocket is up for preorder. I have bought every single iteration of these and haven't liked a single one, but people apparently do?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I bought your RP2+ and like it very much. I admit that it requires quite a bit of tinkering to get to a decent state. The RP3 is also incredibly dope. I played through Chrono Trigger on that one. I copped an RP3+, but I don't know how much of an actual upgrade it's going to be.

Did anybody get an Odin? Mine finally came in, probably a month and a half or so ago. It's pretty slick, much in the same vein as the RP devices.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I bought your RP2+ and like it very much. I admit that it requires quite a bit of tinkering to get to a decent state. The RP3 is also incredibly dope. I played through Chrono Trigger on that one. I copped an RP3+, but I don't know how much of an actual upgrade it's going to be.

Did anybody get an Odin? Mine finally came in, probably a month and a half or so ago. It's pretty slick, much in the same vein as the RP devices.
Oh yeah! Yeah, the android tinkering annoys me. Even with my RG552, I've stuck to the Linux side. I don't need to play Dreamcast on a handheld.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Also the new Retroid Pocket is up for preorder. I have bought every single iteration of these and haven't liked a single one, but people apparently do?

I have never tested Retroid Pocket before, but clear purple shell & clear blue shell are just fantastic

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Anbernic RG353V (Android 11 + Linux)

I have pre-order RG353V Black Transparent version. It's for end of this month in Europe.
Purple edition looks so beautiful too.

official Unboxing

----
Edit :

ArkOS as been updated 2h ago for RG353V/VS and RG353M

Full changelog :

Wiki :

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Anbernic RG353V (Android 11 + Linux)

I have pre-order RG353V Black Transparent version. It's for end of this month in Europe.
Purple edition looks so beautiful too.
Nice! I'm just. sucker for the metal horizontal shells.

Ajax

15 Year Member
My friend got the 353V and brought it over for me to check out. Really weird analog stick placement. It seemed cool though. I got the 351V earlier this year and it's pretty solid for older stuff for sure.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
RG353M arrived today. Gotta run it through it's paces tomorrow. So far it's a very slick little kit.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
So, early impressions with this thing are damn good. I like to have a handheld for 8-bit up through PSX/Saturn (Saturn not being a deal breaker) anything beyond that, I don't care about. I like a device powerful enough to run "run ahead" for 8 & 16 but for at least 1-2 frames with a filter or overlay so I can get very little lag with best/accurate pic possible. The RH351MP almost did that. The 353M does with no problem.

I loathe Android on these things, so skipping that. But I bet you could get some decent PSP performance with Android. Linux not so much. I am however pleasantly surprised with the Dreamcast performance. Hitting 60fps on everything I've thrown at it. Same with Saturn.

i upgraded from the RH351MP so that's the lens I am viewing this through. The 351 has been my favorite since I bought it. This takes it a step further:

Built in Wi-Fi
Built in Bluetooth
HDMI out

I've been playing a ton of Saturn on this using JelOS and it's badass. Hyper Duel on the TV with a Bluetooth controller is really cool and cool feature I can see myself using when out of town.

The device feels super premium.

My only complaint so far is it does get a tad warm in the hands.

Very pleased with this thing. Definitely gonna be my go to. Beautiful 4x3 screen, handles Cave SH1 beautifully. Love it. Recommend.

IMG_20221123_115904.jpg

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

My Retroid 3+ shipped finally. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

Just a couple hours in hand. But I can say they actually got it right this time. The RP3+ is dope. Having 2X upscaled PSP running 100% is really something

Ajax

15 Year Member
They nailed the RP3 also imo, but the 3+ is really incredible. I've used mine quite a bit.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
They nailed the RP3 also imo, but the 3+ is really incredible. I've used mine quite a bit.
It really exceeded my expectations. I primarily use daijisho for my front end but since 95% of my use is PSP, I usually just click the app as I would on my phone. For me this is a PSP/PSX/GBA powerhouse.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I've used the 3+ for DS and PSP stuff primarily and it has been perfect. The form factor of this one is just the best. I prefer this size over the Odin by quite a bit. If we could get to the point where we have Odin level performance in this form factor... Hooooo boy 🤌🤌🤌

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've used the 3+ for DS and PSP stuff primarily and it has been perfect. The form factor of this one is just the best. I prefer this size over the Odin by quite a bit. If we could get to the point where we have Odin level performance in this form factor... Hooooo boy 🤌🤌🤌
YES! I forgot about DS - it's such a slick experience playing DS on it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Does it feel less cheap than the RP2+ and earlier?

Ajax

15 Year Member
I thought the RP2+ was a huge step up in feel from the regular 2, but the 3 and 3+ are definitely the best feeling Retroid products so far in terms of build quality.

Not trying to plug this like some kind of dingus or whatever, but I have a spare RP3 that I never ended up using that I've been meaning to sell. It's the indigo one and is very slick. If anybody's interested, holler at me.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Someone has already tested new GPi CASE 2W ?
It's for Pi Zero (W & 2W) but with IPS screen instead of TFT