News from SPAAAAACE!

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Pillars of Creation (new image from the James Webb telescope)

Pillars_of_Creation_%28NIRCam_Image%29.jpg

Left is Hubble, right is JWST:

stsci-01gfnr1kzzp67ffgv8y26kr0vw.png

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Core stage fully fueled on time for the first time.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Why are the red stars blue now? I know these pictures are colorized to show stuff that's not visible to the human eye, but aren't there standards for how to color non-visible radiation and the like? Or is it completely up to an artists descrition?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Why are the red stars blue now? I know these pictures are colorized to show stuff that's not visible to the human eye, but aren't there standards for how to color non-visible radiation and the like? Or is it completely up to an artists descrition?

When pretty much everything you're looking at is invisible there aren't any standards. Broadly speaking, you'll want to make sure everything your are measuring is seen in the final photo for tax payers. Those "Transformers the Movie" colors were very interesting decades ago and many of the stars were invisible so that's how they rendered it. Now with extremely improved dynamic range and distance those stars can be very visible so naturally that's how they rendered it.

If you've ever edited photos...its kind of like .jpeg versus raw but with way more flexibility.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
When pretty much everything you're looking at is invisible there aren't any standards. Broadly speaking, you'll want to make sure everything your are measuring is seen in the final photo for tax payers. Those "Transformers the Movie" colors were very interesting decades ago and many of the stars were invisible so that's how they rendered it. Now with extremely improved dynamic range and distance those stars can be very visible so naturally that's how they rendered it.

If you've ever edited photos...its kind of like .jpeg versus raw but with way more flexibility.
The colours are supposed to be as the human eye would see it, if it were able to see it. But of course, humans can't see in infra-red. The images JWST produces have to be colourised.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
She went up!!! Awesome launch. The youtube channel everyday astronaut got some great closeup footage of the SRB's firing full tilt. Amazing stuff.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I recon that’s a V162627282828212 engine, lol.

The vid of the launch was *stunning*.

The thing got up to like 5000 mph. Crazy.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I recon that’s a V162627282828212 engine, lol.

The vid of the launch was *stunning*.

The thing got up to like 5000 mph. Crazy.
That's more than six times the speed of sound (Mach 6.5- hypersonic speed).

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Lithy is as obsessed with this flying phallus as Fami is with box office data.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Space travel is the world's biggest and best science experiment. It's cutting edge yet you can understand the theory to some extent. I'm not saying we can all calculate escape velocity, launch windows and flight paths but at the very least you have a handle on what they're trying to do, how they're trying to do it and what might go wrong.

Compare that with the large hadron collider. I tried to get excited about the higgs boson, I really did. Could use a big fire or something though.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Musk's giant space penis to launch in around 30 mins:

lithy

20 Year Member
Musk's giant space penis to launch in around 30 mins:

Launch scrubbed, changed to a wet dress rehearsal.