Considering buying this Akira Production Cel !

Hi !

I am an anime cels collector mostly Japanese. As a child, I was a big fan of animes. One who really impressed me was Akira from Katsuhiro Otomo.
It was the first anime released in 24 frames by second.
I saw a really great Akira cel for sell. A bit expensive but the scene is the main one of the anime.

What do you think ?
And if anyone has other sources where I can find Akira's anime cels, please, I'll be glad for the info.

Regards.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Original anime cells for Akira you say?

I believe there's a dude in Canada with a lock-up full of that stuff... @TonK should be able to help you out.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Way too expensive for a neophyte. Buy from trusted sellers. Cel dealers.

I don’t know about that “first 24fps anime” claim. It may have been the first feature length film that was all 24fps but there was quite a bit of anime “shot on ones” before that, at least in specific cuts.

Waow !! Great reactions on a simple question !
Why do you want to nuke France ???
Why do you talk about prostitution ?!!!
@SignOfZeta I am sure it was the first anime entirely produced in 24 frames/sec. That explain the fluidity of the animation.
Nobody has any site or auction house where to buy ?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Hi !

I am an anime cels collector mostly Japanese. As a child, I was a big fan of animes. One who really impressed me was Akira from Katsuhiro Otomo.
It was the first anime released in 24 frames by second.
I saw a really great Akira cel for sell. A bit expensive but the scene is the main one of the anime.

What do you think ?
And if anyone has other sources where I can find Akira's anime cels, please, I'll be glad for the info.

Regards.

I have many cells I can sell you, my price is 10,000 euros. I travel to France often and can deliver to you in person but I require a bank transfer of 500 euro first (5%). This is standard policy and very reasonable let me know if you agree to these terms.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Waow !! Great reactions on a simple question !
Why do you want to nuke France ???
Why do you talk about prostitution ?!!!
@SignOfZeta I am sure it was the first anime entirely produced in 24 frames/sec. That explain the fluidity of the animation.
Nobody has any site or auction house where to buy ?

Listen…cels are art. They ain’t high art, but they are art. I don’t have a link. There isn’t a link. This isn’t mass produced video game garbage, every cel is different. Condition matters, if it comes with the drawing and the background it matters more. Honestly with Japanese collectors the drawing is more important than the actual cel much of the time. If it’s a key frame it’s worth twice as much. Provenance is very helpful since cels are crazy easy to fake.

So knowing all of that in my head…no. I don’t have a link. I don’t have a link to one of a kind stuff. That’s not how one of a kind stuff is usually sold.

I’ve been out of it for some time but my advice is to find a specialty dealer who does only cels. Tell them what you want and how much you can spend and they’ll see what’s out there. If you can find a French dealer who works with the Japanese scene that might be best. The US side of things will just fuck everything up unless they are a real dealer with years in the business. You don’t want a one time eBay purchase from some con slug selling you crap he thought was real when it bought 30 years ago.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
For 15 grand you could literally build yourself Kanedas bike.

Or you know... buy an actual piece of original Katsuhiro Otomo art.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah. I'd rather have a bunch of cels than 1 expensive cel.
Is this a collector investment? What's the provenance? How will you store it?

i had some cels 20 years ago, and they are easily damaged. I would be too scared to put this much money in a single collectible.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Akira was NOT shot entirely on the ones! They ramped up to animating on ones for specific scenes to add impact. It also looks much better and smoother because the dialogue was recorded first and the animation was lip-synced accordingly.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Akira was NOT shot entirely on the ones! They ramped up to animating on ones for specific scenes to add impact. It also looks much better and smoother because the dialogue was recorded first and the animation was lip-synced accordingly.

Yeah, dialogue being recorded first is a rare luxury in anime, but pretty much bog standard in all western animation.

Akira was smooth mainly because it was done by talented people who were working with what was then a record budget. You can be smooth on ones twos or even threes and you can look like shit at any speed.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah. I'd rather have a bunch of cels than 1 expensive cel.
Is this a collector investment? What's the provenance? How will you store it?

i had some cels 20 years ago, and they are easily damaged. I would be too scared to put this much money in a single collectible.
Honestly $15,000 is some classic Disney era stuff. Absolutely insane for anime. For $15,000 I expect Totoro and Catbus in the same frame on an original background with a signed photo of Suzuki, Miyazaki and Takahata holding it.

For $8-10k you can have a really nice Nausicaa…for a lot less you could have Zeta Gundam opening cels.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Why did you come to a neogeo forum and for your first post, ask about opinions on buying a $10K Japanese anime cel? Like, kudos for posting in the off topic area, but there's probably 400,000 better websites if you really wanted some learned opinions on the matter. Like at least you aren't a bot posting random stuff, but spam marketing across multiple forums to drum up the slightest bit of interest is kinda lame, no offense to awbacon, I've grown to like his videos and he provides cool stuff for free sometimes.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
$10k for an anime cel?!! Did they paint it with real gold and silver or something?!! I have no clue what certain cels run but even for a hardcore fan, there's better ways to spend that kind of money. I'd bought a number of Cardcaptor Sakura cels many years back, all legit but I wasn't paying more than $100 for them.