Bitmap Bureau bringing Battle Axe to MVS/AES

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
This looks pretty solid to me! Kinda Gauntlet-y, a decent step up from Xenocrisis

Attachments

• 317889347_10160478051702048_3078720878257529536_n.jpg
    317889347_10160478051702048_3078720878257529536_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 65

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Final Vendetta went 50% off on Steam today as well:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
They can hold onto Vendetta..looking forward to seeing what this Battle Axe brings to the table.
BB

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
As an aside, Xenocrisis carts are seriously discounted on their site now (down like $75 iirc)

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Yeah, they mentioned this back in February. Hopefully, it will happen!

1670114579082.png

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Battle Axe looks great & lots of fun watched a longplay of it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Much respect to @bitmapbureau for developing what appear to be quality, indie games.

But none of their games were developed from the ground up for the Neo, nor were they 'enhanced' when ported to the Neo.

They're all basically Steam games just ported to home consoles because, "there's gold in them thar hills!".

DevilRedeemed summed it up perfectly almost four years ago: https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/inde...-coming-to-neo-geo.259077/page-2#post-4204944

Wish them all the best in their endeavors to make games, but releasing them on the Neo is just wrong.

edit: to not seem like a complete jaded asshole, here's a positive review of Battle Axe: https://fingerguns.net/reviews/2022/11/28/battle-axe-review-ps5-and-my-axe/

I just don't believe these games should be released on the Neo-Geo. They aren't Neo-Geo games.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
@LoneSage I agree. The redeeming feature was the lower price and rom release of Xeno Crisis.

I don't even see Final Vendetta mentioned on the company's main web site anymore, and the blog is just old Xeno Crisis updates. I would love to hear something about progress.

I actually kind of wish I got in on the Project Neon preorder. They programmed a soundtrack for the YM2610. It sounds nothing like the SNK sound drivers from back in the day, but it's cool to use all those overlooked FM channels again though:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Battle Axe is definitely a game I will purchase when offered for NEO.
BB

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I had high hopes that the Neo version of Xeno Crisis would have some graphical updates or bonus stuff but apart from some minor color palette changes, the MD and Neo versions look and play exactly the same and I bet it will be the same for Battle Axe.

That's my main gripe with these new Neo releases, the machine has a lot of power under the hood like scaling and other stuff that ports could benefit from, why not go the extra mile and add some nice stuff that would make the Neo version actually worth buying? Extra characters, more graphical depth, extra levels, etc. Without it, the Neo versions are little more than collectibles and that's a wasted opportunity if you ask me.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
In this case, looking at videos of Battle Axe, I don't think it could be run on a sega genesis. This is a little different from Xeno Crisis in that Xeno was made to the specs of a weaker system and then ported to the more powerful neogeo with few changes... Battle Axe looks like it was made for modern systems in Unity without the specs of a weaker system in mind, in that respect, we're getting a game designed for stronger hardware trimmed down so it works on weaker hardware (neogeo). Seems a bit like how Razion seemed to borrow a lot from the Dux/Redux games originally designed for dreamcast, and folks seem to love that game.

I'd be impressed for the capability of the neogeo hardware and the developers if Battle Axe on the neogeo is able to substantially replicate the sound, graphics and gameplay of the modern system versions. It looks like a colorful and detailed 2D game with tons of graphics and animations.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'd be impressed for the capability of the neogeo hardware and the developers if Battle Axe on the neogeo is able to substantially replicate the sound, graphics and gameplay of the modern system versions. It looks like a colorful and detailed 2D game with tons of graphics and animations.

The Neo is an old system so I see no reason why they couldn't go back to the old formula of trying to port a game as closely as possible but keeping the flavour of the system it got ported to. This way, even a C64 or NES port of much more advanced hardware became a great representation of the real thing while the coders used the system at hand to the max and added stuff not found in other versions.

Ah well, let's see what Bitmap Bureau come up with, wouldn't mind a positive surprise.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is really exciting news,
but...
I am also skeptical given the lack of updates and effort put into Xeno. I'll keep a close watch on this one though.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Much respect to @bitmapbureau for developing what appear to be quality, indie games.

But none of their games were developed from the ground up for the Neo, nor were they 'enhanced' when ported to the Neo.

They're all basically Steam games just ported to home consoles because, "there's gold in them thar hills!".

DevilRedeemed summed it up perfectly almost four years ago: https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/inde...-coming-to-neo-geo.259077/page-2#post-4204944

Wish them all the best in their endeavors to make games, but releasing them on the Neo is just wrong.

edit: to not seem like a complete jaded asshole, here's a positive review of Battle Axe: https://fingerguns.net/reviews/2022/11/28/battle-axe-review-ps5-and-my-axe/

I just don't believe these games should be released on the Neo-Geo. They aren't Neo-Geo games.
I think it is possible that Final Vendetta was made for the Neo Geo in mind. They then got a real publishing deal and I think earning actual money over making new Neo Geo games was a priority.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I had high hopes that the Neo version of Xeno Crisis would have some graphical updates or bonus stuff but apart from some minor color palette changes, the MD and Neo versions look and play exactly the same and I bet it will be the same for Battle Axe.

That's my main gripe with these new Neo releases, the machine has a lot of power under the hood like scaling and other stuff that ports could benefit from, why not go the extra mile and add some nice stuff that would make the Neo version actually worth buying? Extra characters, more graphical depth, extra levels, etc. Without it, the Neo versions are little more than collectibles and that's a wasted opportunity if you ask me.
I was also hoping for more improvements on the Neo Geo front with their XenoCrisis release. But don't forget that they actually built a new cartridge and tested it on every MVS and AES variation out there.
Also their many programmer got a tumor or accident (something with his brain) during the development of Xenocrisis for the Neo Geo and I guess that hampered a lot of the development time.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I do wish Xenocrisis had Neo improvements, but as it is it's still a great non-fighting game and that's always welcome. Even if it's just a port of a Genesis game it's still probably the most fun Neo game made since official releases died.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer

Yeah, but then... Some actual Neo Geo games from back in the day weren't Neo Geo games either - esthetically and technically. Yet, they are there, and have been there for 20 years now.
I don't think "Neo Geo games" as you mean them are ever going to be done again, if only because, with the tools publicly available today, I can't see any developper submitting to early system rom limitations that make no sense today... So if we go that way, there shouldn't ever be any more games released on the system. Which is a position I always find a bit odd. :)

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Yeah, but then... Some actual Neo Geo games from back in the day weren't Neo Geo games either - esthetically and technically. Yet, they are there, and have been there for 20 years now.
I don't think "Neo Geo games" as you mean them are ever going to be done again, if only because, with the tools publicly available today, I can't see any developper submitting to early system rom limitations that make no sense today... So if we go that way, there shouldn't ever be any more games released on the system. Which is a position I always find a bit odd. :)
Interesting thought. In terms of games from back in the day on the neo that weren't totally neo games, what comes to mind? Strikers 1945?

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
Games that used downsampled ADPCM music instead of actual compositions for the YM2610, digitized or flattened-3D backgrounds like KoF 01/02, or Gaia Crusadered Sengoku come to mind...
By some standards, they're not "Neo Geo". Yet, they're on the system, and they're part of the system's most beloved franchises so it's hard to just call them PS2 downgrades.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
So, this is probably going to be a shoddy port? Gotcha! Snark aside, i hope they at least do a better job with Battle Axe on Neo Geo.

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
I find this killer news, LOVE this game and find Bitmaps design brilliant, a return to true 90's arcade gameplay with ample challenging and rewarding difficulty, this is one gorgeous game and the graphics are perfectly matched to the Neo, I WILL buy on release, could give a bigger crap not designed for the Neo, evolve you hardcore people.