Post Your 90's Game Room

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Yeah the millennium edition controller i think points this to 2000.
The orange joystiqs were for TG-16. Something 3rd party i think. I preferred them for Dungeon Explorer which i played relentlessly.

While this seems like a lot of stuff, I got almost all of this working low paying jobs as a student. The 3DO was clearance. The Jag was clearance. The NGCD was the SNK bundle special. At this point, i had dropped Magic and 40k a few years back, and focused my paychecks on retrogaming and taco bell.
I did the same - 90% of my income as a student went to games. Getting an AES was my soul reason for getting a job and a car at 16. My parents sure as hell weren't about to buy me $200 video games.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I'm a little surprised for all the gaming I did throughout the 90s on consoles and PC, I don't think that I or anyone else, ever took any photos of my setups or of me playing games.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Does me running a convention game room in 1999 count? I can still smell how funky that room got in just a single day. Almost all of the systems and games from this con came from my personal collection, we mostly rented CRTs and built custom lock boxes.

God, the pic the writer of me is so bad. It was like 2am and I felt and looked like shit. The one of me with the mic is a little better. @Stefan , click on the link for nostalgia overload. I wish I had pics of my game room from this time but I threw out all of my real film pictures like an idiot.

Hah, I probably spent a bunch of time in that game room. One of the last conventions I went to. Good to see Estuardo representing Gametime winning Zero 3.

I remember winning a Bust a Move 2 tournament at one of these (Katsucon '99 maybe?). That and a Marvel 2 tournament where you weren't allowed to use outside controllers so I lost in like the second round because fuck the standard DC controller. Ahhh, the old days.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Really never had a 90's game room...at home. Now I had a bit of one in the early 80's with Atari 2600, ColecoVision and Mattel IntelliVision :tickled:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Or pics from back in the day, at other arcades than where you work now.

What a time capsule these old photos might be!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Or pics from back in the day, at other arcades than where you work now.

What a time capsule these old photos might be!

I know! Don’t get me wrong, I like candy cabs... but something about seeing those old woodies with iconic side art

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I'm a little surprised for all the gaming I did throughout the 90s on consoles and PC, I don't think that I or anyone else, ever took any photos of my setups or of me playing games.
Because it’s not important. It’s like someone eating a slice of white bread, would you take a photo of that?

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Yeah the millennium edition controller i think points this to 2000.
The orange joystiqs were for TG-16. Something 3rd party i think. I preferred them for Dungeon Explorer which i played relentlessly.

While this seems like a lot of stuff, I got almost all of this working low paying jobs as a student. The 3DO was clearance. The Jag was clearance. The NGCD was the SNK bundle special. At this point, i had dropped Magic and 40k a few years back, and focused my paychecks on retrogaming and taco bell.
I found it, its the ultimate superstick. Looks cool though I assume the joystick has no microswitches.

Do you still have all this stuff in 2022?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Because it’s not important. It’s like someone eating a slice of white bread, would you take a photo of that?
Exactly, it's just people sitting around in front of the TV or at a computer. Mundane everyday stuff like talking on the phone or reading the newspaper. Also people didn't take photos as much back then because film cost money and had to be developed. That shit was for vacations and family events.

There also wasn't a gaming "scene" back then so it's not like anybody thought to document any of this as somehow being important. Even the arcade scene was just a bunch of sweaty dorks standing around playing VS fighters, no-one wanted to see that.

In the late 90s I had all kind of gaming stuff but that was just shit in my room not a "game room".

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Maybe make a thread of these photos too?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Meh these are film pictures I had developed and they gave me a digital copy of in '99 on a floppy
Maybe I can rescan them.
You can't really make anything out though.
(For JoeX and because you can't make them out) I had a PC, laptop, CDX, Saturn, Neo, N64 & Playstation.

Wanting that Dreamcast and couldn't wait untill the PS2 dropped.

I lived in a little two bedroom townhouse at the time for a few years.

I'm not sure I have the negatives anymore.
My EX-wife was always messing with my pictures saying she was going to throw them away because I had pictures of other women in them.
I also have some similar pics of a basement apartment I lived in right around 9/11.
I have to remember where I put them though.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
do you have any pics of the arcade you work at? if so, share them!
Not much at work that stands out from any other modern corporate places these days. Mostly redemption and a small handful of videos (in my case, a pair of Super Bikes, H2Overdrive and a Deadstorm Pirates). I'll see about taking a few pics and showing why today's game rooms suck compared to the good old days).

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Not much at work that stands out from any other modern corporate places these days. Mostly redemption and a small handful of videos (in my case, a pair of Super Bikes, H2Overdrive and a Deadstorm Pirates). I'll see about taking a few pics and showing why today's game rooms suck compared to the good old days).

That’s sad....but on the plus side h2Overdrive is fun

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
In my neck of the woods, there is a classic game room called Starfighters with a rotation of 160 pinball and arcade games from the 80's up to the early 2000's. I've yet to visit the place since its way out of my way and the hours are limited (Friday-Sunday 7 to 10 pm). I also go to an old pizza place that has an old style game room (TMNT, PacMan, Galaga and yes...even a Neo-Geo 2 slot gold!) I'm stopping there in the near future so I'll try and take some pics.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
In my neck of the woods, there is a classic game room called Starfighters with a rotation of 160 pinball and arcade games from the 80's up to the early 2000's. I've yet to visit the place since its way out of my way and the hours are limited (Friday-Sunday 7 to 10 pm). I also go to an old pizza place that has an old style game room (TMNT, PacMan, Galaga and yes...even a Neo-Geo 2 slot gold!) I'm stopping there in the near future so I'll try and take some pics.
I've been there, while visiting friends in Phoenix. That place is awesome, but honestly not a "game room". That's a legit arcade.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I've been there, while visiting friends in Phoenix. That place is awesome, but honestly not a "game room". That's a legit arcade.
You're right...arcade is the proper term to use for that place. I've also frequented another arcade called "Electric Bat Arcade" which is inside a bar establishment. Pretty small with about 15 or so games and mostly pinballs but is a pretty good place with a modest rotation of games.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
You're right...arcade is the proper term to use for that place. I've also frequented another arcade called "Electric Bat Arcade" which is inside a bar establishment. Pretty small with about 15 or so games and mostly pinballs but is a pretty good place with a modest rotation of games.
Also nice touch that "Star Fighter" has The Last Starfighter playing in the background. That movie is great

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Meh these are film pictures I had developed and they gave me a digital copy of in '99 on a floppy
Maybe I can rescan them.
You can't really make anything out though.
(For JoeX and because you can't make them out) I had a PC, laptop, CDX, Saturn, Neo, N64 & Playstation.

Wanting that Dreamcast and couldn't wait untill the PS2 dropped.

I lived in a little two bedroom townhouse at the time for a few years.

I'm not sure I have the negatives anymore.
My EX-wife was always messing with my pictures saying she was going to throw them away because I had pictures of other women in them.
I also have some similar pics of a basement apartment I lived in right around 9/11.
I have to remember where I put them though.
Did you and Norton cruise around in the lebaron matching vibratto with vibratto?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Real talk, was anyone ever embarrassed of all the video games they owned? Showing off my 'game room' was the last thing I wanted to do growing up.

I was super self conscious about that all through my life, from childhood to even post-teenagerhood. I felt a lot of shame about that. When my friends came over, from middle school to high school, I would hide most of my games.

To see how mainstream and popular gaming is now, whereas when I was growing up people thought playing a lot of video games was for losers, makes me feel something.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you had to hide your games from them they probably weren't worth being friends with. Also you're super insecure.

In HS most of my friends were into games as well and even if they weren't into them as much as me they still usually liked seeing all the weird Japanese games or dope new release stuff. It was just kind of a part of life, not some embarrassing hobby that I ever even thought about hiding. Plus it was always nice stuff, not just a bunch of random junk from a flea market like stacks of disc only games or stuff in shitty condition all over the place. I'd be more embarrassed to have a bunch of shit laying around all sloppy than a couple shelves of nice games properly organized.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I was not embarrassed. I had no reason to be. I was homecoming king. I set the standard of what it meant to be cool.

:cool: