Is it OK to be content with what you have

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Define "have".

"Have" as in physical things?
"Have" as in accomplishments?

I used to rate myself on things and financial success. That got me nowhere fast...the more I got, the more I was miserable. As some here know, I had major weight problem as well as some serious anger issues (weight + self loathing + buying my way out misery unsuccessfully). The saying of "Wherever you go, there you are" indeed is the truth. No matter how much I climbed the ladder, or how much $$ I made...I was still me and I was miserable.

So...I scaled back my life and chose new challenges. Getting my weight down, getting my anger under control, being successful at being a father, husband and friend.

I dropped 100 lbs, turned my marriage around and turned my life around. I'm now an avid cyclist and my challenges are what I can do on my bike. Attempting to climb the ladder in the business world sucks...

So...wanting more from yourself...good. Striving for more $$, social status, job position or things? Bad.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I like smokehouses post.

Seriously, material stuff is all bullshit. The more you have the more you want.

Once you get to a level of income where you are paying your bills easily, have a bit left over and your house paid off that is it. You're not going to be happier long term with anything else money can buy you.

It'd nice to spoil yourself and your family sometimes but everything in moderation is the key. It's actually good to have restrictions sometimes.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Of course it's OK. I'm quite content with what I have already.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Well, being happy with what you have/have achieved or what you are and trying to improve your life by reaching for better things is not mutually exclusive.

Basically the message is that you should live your life and be happy right here, right now, because tomorrow you may be dead.
Sure, anyone can die tomorrow- be hit by a bus or something like that. But you try telling people that, and they'll virtually deny it that's even possible.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
You can't tell someone money alone won't make them happy, that's a lesson you find out on your own. I think the important this is self growth, I agree you should continue growing and goals can help with that.

I think the most important thing is to just not be a fucking douche, odds are you'll live a while, but there's never a guarantee - you're a biological time bomb that's ticking down more every single day.

Also, nobody else on Earth gives 2 shits what you own. LOL You are not your fucking khakis.

theMot

10 Year Member
Also, nobody else on Earth gives 2 shits what you own.

Thats exactly it but people still spend their whole life trying to one up the Jones' next door.

Seriously, 5 minutes after you are dead no one will really give a shit about what you achieved in life, not even your family. Sad but true. Put a little aside for the future but live for here and now.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I like smokehouses post.

Seriously, material stuff is all bullshit. The more you have the more you want.

Once you get to a level of income where you are paying your bills easily, have a bit left over and your house paid off that is it. You're not going to be happier long term with anything else money can buy you.

It'd nice to spoil yourself and your family sometimes but everything in moderation is the key. It's actually good to have restrictions sometimes.

This is where I'm at financially. I can pay my bill without beads of sweat drippin' down on the rent check, I can buy the smaller things I want/need at any time and I have some $$ in the bank.

I could work more and get a nicer car, or house, or TV, or whatever...but, to quote Fight Club, eventually the things you own land up owning you.

I lived without a car from 2010 until 2014. I had a limited company car but it was tough. I have a failing 2008 40" LCD in the basement that never gets used (we cut cable almost 2 years ago and never watch TV now), I sold my $20K home theater 6 years ago, I sold most of my video game collection and whats left, I play on a 15 year old 24" CRT I keep tucked away in my closet.

I've never been more free.

I draw with my daughter, or read books, or play, or ride bikes. When I get a few hrs of personal time, I ride my road bike (in or outside). I'm more "zen" than I ever have been...

I think the most important thing is to just not be a fucking douche, odds are you'll live a while, but there's never a guarantee - you're a biological time bomb that's ticking down more every single day.

The higher up I got in business, the more I found you HAVE to play dirty pool to get ahead. Shady dealing and back door conversations are the norm. Fucking others to get ahead and stepping on those that work for you. It made me fucking miserable. At one time, I wanted my name on the sign outside the building (a path I was quickly on)...now, I'm happy to make my microcosm a better place. I won't climb the ladder like others, my the people that work for me are actually happy.

I live like this...Every Sunday night I lay in bed, eyes closed and ask myself:

"If I were to die right now, how would I feel about the last week of my life?"

It can always be better...but did I do my best with what I was given? If the answer is yes...I'm happy with myself.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sure, anyone can die tomorrow- be hit by a bus or something like that. But you try telling people that, and they'll virtually deny it that's even possible.

That's only a problem with younger folks. As soon as you've crossed the big 50 (or in some cases the not-so-big-but-still-kinda-annoying 40), things will start to look different.

I mean, I'll turn 44 this year. The average age of a male who lives in a 1st world country is about 75 years, that means I have only 31 years left (and I'm sure I'm not going to get that old so I guess it will be less, say 25 or summat).

So... 31/25 years is nothing. The last 43 years rushed by like a jetfighter...

This makes you a little humble, eh. That's why I try to be happy and content with what I am/have/have achieved because it's over sooner than you think.

theMot

10 Year Member
Great thread. 8.5 year bump.
That went by quick. I still feel and live by what I posted previously even though our net worth probably tripled in that period of time.

What’s been interesting to observe is how some people i know have only gotten worse with chasing money and material trappings as they have got older… We still seem to upgrade where we live, what we drive etc but it’s not all consuming for us like some people we know.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
So did Smokehouse become a tranny after this thread? He sounded like a complete and content man when he wrote in this thread in 2014.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
So did Smokehouse become a tranny after this thread? He sounded like a complete and content man when he wrote in this thread in 2014.
If this is true then none of us are immune from the syren call of becoming trans 🫣. Any one of us could be next 🧐

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I have enough to live on, but not enough to live on and go to Disneyland.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If this is true then none of us are immune from the syren call of becoming trans 🫣. Any one of us could be next 🧐
It's all part of the new MKUltra globalist plan.

Avoid the following and you will be fine:
Social media
Video games
Anime
Netflix
Veganism
Secret Santas involving massive cawks

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have been concerned over the last year that I've become too comfortable at my current job. Pays well, work is tolerable, but advancement is not really there. I'd have to move across the country, and I'm not sure I'm willing to risk that.
I'm also considering my current residence, and if it's time to go.

Sometimes you just need a change to shake things up.

Everything I said was true. I changed jobs and moved, and feel really good about those improvements. I'm already back in a comfortable position and starting to think about another household move in a few years.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Mo money Mo problems … seem like inflation is going to put a hurting on the average household.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
The only gaming forum worth belonging to. Smokehouse turned from Al Bundy to Rupaul. If you ever feel like shit. Just look through the wonderful archives at Neo-Geo.com. My favorite troupe is when the guy calling out scammers becomes a fucking scammer. Pipes and Pope etc….

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I'm a content dude. I won't elaborate much cuz' I don't want Kernow to puke, but yeah, you can be content. All the cliche's can get you there. Easy to say them, but hard to live them.

The one I live by most is "never assume you have tomorrow". If you can find the balance of that one, not to the extreme of living like you're going to die today (and making irresponsible decisions), but like embracing the idea that i'm going to do as much today as I can, i'm not going to take on avoidable stress, i'm not going to play in dramas, etc - then you can be content with what you have.

If you're not content - what is it you want? To be thinner? Eat less / work out...IE, go get that thing you think you need to be content.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'm a content dude. I won't elaborate much cuz' I don't want Kernow to puke, but yeah, you can be content. All the cliche's can get you there. Easy to say them, but hard to live them.

The one I live by most is "never assume you have tomorrow". If you can find the balance of that one, not to the extreme of living like you're going to die today (and making irresponsible decisions), but like embracing the idea that i'm going to do as much today as I can, i'm not going to take on avoidable stress, i'm not going to play in dramas, etc - then you can be content with what you have.

If you're not content - what is it you want? To be thinner? Eat less / work out...IE, go get that thing you think you need to be content.

lmbo, spoken like a man who doesn’t own any gold transformers

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
What if all you have is aids

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
What if all you have is aids

Then collect some more diseases. I hear smoking gives you cancer, and fat gives you heart disease.

Whatever your into, whatever your goals are, make sure you become the best version of you.

• Haha
Reactions: @M

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Be yourself and do what you like when you like, then and only then will you be content. Now I'm not the best at doing that and thank fuck for that or I'd probably be dead but striving for that, just trying gets you close enough. Sometimes getting close is all you really need in life.