Post Your Recent Purchases!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'd assume not, you are Big Bear after all
I've been a human ant in the past.I rescued a Visio & Samsung Flat screen,both 32".I actually returned the Samsung because the quality of the Vision was so much better...and flat screens can pile up on you.
I'm going to look into getting a WEGA..I was almost able to get one for free but the rain beat me to it unfortunately...
BB

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've been a human ant in the past.I rescued a Visio & Samsung Flat screen,both 32".I actually returned the Samsung because the quality of the Vision was so much better...and flat screens can pile up on you.
I'm going to look into getting a WEGA..I was almost able to get one for free but the rain beat me to it unfortunately...
BB
You know you just have to dry it out before turning it on…

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You know you just have to dry it out before turning it on…
Nooooo..Too heavy to chance it..it's got some serious weight to it so I need to be at least 75% sure that bad boy will give me something.
This one took on some serious water before I happened on it.
BB

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
CRTs fuck.
I keep a small 14' one around just because but truth be told with all the console mods and things like the retrotink I'm starting to think they are becoming obsolete.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Worst hobby ever picked up this dinosaur for 20 dollars. I forgot how heavy these TVs were
How much does it weigh?

BB
Why are WEGAs so good? The one or two I've seen, don't have RGB (SCART) inputs.

CRTs fuck.
I keep a small 14' one around just because but truth be told with all the console mods and things like the retrotink I'm starting to think they are becoming obsolete.
All hail the OLED.

I would say that QD-OLEDs (such as the Sony A95K) just about match the best CRTs for colours and black levels. So, (maybe) with scan line emulation, they would be able to mimick an RGB PVM almost perfectly. But you could also say that retro games should be played on a curved screen, if you want the authentic look the games originally had.

Normal OLED TVs use WOLED technology, where the colours aren't quite pure RGB. CRTs/PVMs stopped being made in about 2008, so it's taken flat panel TVs 14 years after that to match the colour accuracy of the best CRTs.

Last edited:

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Most of the 27" crt's are sub 100lbs. The 36" sony can be around 200. If you can't pick that up by yourself then I'm very sorry for your weakness

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
From my very personal experience, if you're not planning to use it for local multiplayer (like a Bomberman tournament), the ideal size of a gaming CRT is between 14" and 20". Anything above that has usually picture geometry issues, and the scanlines almost become a nuisance instead of a plus. Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but PVMs are a little bit overrated: any good arcade CRT with a Philips tube (or Toshiba, or some other excellent manufacturer) will take you to gaming heaven.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I only keep a CRT around for lightgun games, but I'd imagine once Sinden offer a packaged solution to allow you to use their gun with OG hardware on a modern flat panel then that thing will be gone.

Why people think they (generally speaking) need a CRT for retrogaming these days is beyond me.