Getting back into collecting.

Hey everyone.

After around a decade I have decided that I want to get back into the Neo. I had a decent AES and MVS collection that I stupidly had to sell years back. I am shocked how much prices have gone through the roof!

I am looking for a good quality modded AES that I will be using on my 75" 4K TV so the standard video output on a stock unit would be less than adequate. I haven't really found any options other than Neotropolis. I have done business with them before and have been very happy. The question is do I want to drop a grand on a system?

Any advise or ideas on how to get back into the scene without destroying my bank account would be much appreciated!

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I agree on OSSC. Other than possibly improving the RGB signal, there is no longer a need to mod an AES for video output.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
open source scan converter. Run a SCART cable from the AES into it, scales up the Neo's picture for modern displays very nicely with no lag.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Do not give Kennyboy money, he sucks.

If you don't want to mess round with an OSSC you can also get a set of RetrovisionHD component cables and a Neo-Geo adapter but honestly just get a scan converter and an RGB cable.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Those things are a total crap-shoot. I've had them for several systems made by a couple different companies and the quality is all over the place. The usual problem is color distortion/bleed, sometimes the 4:3 mode not working at all or being stretched or cut off. They also get worryingly hot. Never used the Neo one though but I assume it's probably not great.

If you're willing to spend the money it takes these days to collect AES stuff just get a proper up-scan converter. You can use it with a bunch of other older system as well. Don't cheap out on a janky video connection.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, if you're going to spend the stupid money to buy AES carts (which no one should at this point), don't cheap out on a $30 cable to play them on. Get an OSSC or a Retrotink 5x.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I totally forgot about the RetroTink 5x. I've never used one, but as I understand it, it's pretty damn close to the OSSC but way easier to use.

The OSSC isn't hard per se, just takes a bit of learning.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Any advise or ideas on how to get back into the scene without destroying my bank account would be much appreciated!
giphy.gif

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I highly encourage anyone going into neo hyphen geo to go straight for the big tymer elite collectin' AES system. More MVS for us :D

But seriously go with the OSSC you won't regret it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I totally forgot about the RetroTink 5x. I've never used one, but as I understand it, it's pretty damn close to the OSSC but way easier to use.

The OSSC isn't hard per se, just takes a bit of learning.

I would recommend the 5x at this point for most people. It's so much more plug n' play and it's getting cool new features consistently with firmware updates.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
RetroTINK 5X Pro > OSSC at this point
How are the scanlines? Does it have any? I've thought about trying one if I could find one

Mind you I haven't updated the ossc for a while as it's on the latest, but there's so many fucking settings on it - a plug and play solution would be nice if it wasn't awful

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
How are the scanlines? Does it have any? I've thought about trying one if I could find one

Mind you I haven't updated the ossc for a while as it's on the latest, but there's so many fucking settings on it - a plug and play solution would be nice if it wasn't awful

There are a ton of different screen filter presets, depending on your preferred type of CRT 'look'. They have slot mask, aperture grille, BVM, 600TVL PVM, and a few generic consumer-grade CRT filters. Pseudo HDR also makes things really pop if your display supports it.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
@Clark Griswold

Few options to keep prices down, image quality up, and configuration to a minimum on a modern display:

Get a Japanese AES so it doesn't cost three arms and a leg (just 2) and you don't have to bother with censorship. You can always get a Unibios installed later. Make sure you grab a unit under serial 200,000 with a Pro-Pow 3 adapter for flexibility in eventual replacement options.
  • Scart:
  • Component
    • Grab a set of Genesis 2 Component Cables with Neo adapter from HD RetroVision
    • Retrotink 2X Pro
RetroTink 2X Pro over an OSSC or a 5X - The image output is super sharp on a good modern display and there's nothing to fuss with like with an OSSC or a Tink 5X. A 2X is about the same price as an OSSC these days (for the Aliexpress knockoffs) but is $200 cheaper than a 5X.

I have an OSSC and I had a Tink 5X I sold to a fellow member. In all cases I went back to my simple, plug and play 2X. Cheap, does what you need it to do, reliable, input lag free, excellent picture. I could never get my 5X's picture to center correctly with an AES (I've tried two of them) no matter the settings people have recommended. The OSSC is much more cumbersome to set up and less input options.

Also, if you ever get into arcade stuff with a Supergun, the 2X has the best compatibility with refresh rates I've found - it can run a Taito F3 board without a hitch unlike the OSSC and 5X which have video sync issues common with quite a few PCBs.

This route keeps you away from playing a bajillion dollars for Kenny's stuff, and are the most hassle free options that produce a fantastic picture.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
But it doesn’t have rgb only component ?
5X has both component and SCART. 2X is component/composite or scart depending on the device. I agree with @zaneiken - 5X over the OSSC these days. The 5X is more than double the price, though, but easier config through the on-screen menu and the like.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

I have one. It does the job, actually better than my low expectations (rf quality). I bought it as a stop gap but as it was good enough for my immediate needs I never bothered to upgrade - yet.

There are definitely better solutions out there. Yagamikunk‘s instructions for the 2X looks like a great plug and play solution and is going to give a much sharper picture than the hyperkin does.

Neotropolis basically take a cheap converter like the hyperkin cable and pop it inside the case of the AES and charge you another $500 for it, it isn’t worth it.

Last edited: