CRT Fetish Thread

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I like my CRTs but it's time to admit that OLEDs are the new successor. OLEDs are like Plasma but with better resolution and thinner displays.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I picked up a 20 inch crt out on the curb a couple of days ago.
I examined the inputs and design before I picked it up.It has the s-video and component (✓)
Made in 2006(✓)
Handles built in on the sides for easy carry(✓)
I couldn't make out the name until I got home which turns out to be a DAEWOO (X)
plugged it up,it works but noticed a little screen burn in.(X)
The picture is like that of a PC monitor a bit,not bad..I'll use it as a backup or Tate,whatever..Always nice to come across one in the wild.
BB

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I picked up a 20" also a few months ago. The case would crumble and break when picking it up. Never had plastic do that before. It was a Mitsubishi CS-20203 made in '95 (made in 'Merica) with a Sharp tube. Composite only but looks nice. Also has, which I really like, is a headphone jax out. I cobbled together a "case" out of 3/4" plywood for a proof of concept, will probably make a better case sometime...also might try to RGB mod this, always thought this was interesting...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I picked up a 20" also a few months ago. The case would crumble and break when picking it up. Never had plastic do that before. It was a Mitsubishi CS-20203 made in '95 (made in 'Merica) with a Sharp tube. Composite only but looks nice. Also has, which I really like, is a headphone jax out. I cobbled together a "case" out of 3/4" plywood for a proof of concept, will probably make a better case sometime...also might try to RGB mod this, always thought this was interesting...
There is this JVC crt sitting out there but that thing has went through winter and a few good rain storms..I don't know if I should give it a go or not..
I would be stunned if I picked it up and it ended up working.Its a larger screen,like 25 inches or more.The Daewoo,I rescued immediately and there are no vents on top which keeps rain or any liquid from entering.
I would hate to grab the larger crt only to find out it does not work and then lugging it back out for proper disposal..
I'm a gambler though..I wonder if it survived through the winter and several rain storms ...I'll examine it tonight before I decide.
I'm glad your tube is cool! I'm a little bummed about the slight burn-in on mines..it's like a reverse for me,my casing is top notch.
BB

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Up until a month ago or two ago, I hadn't had a CRT in years. I have an early LCD flat panel with tons of inputs on the back, and that works great with older consoles. I also use a retrotink with my main modern set if I want to play anything pre-hdmi on it. So I haven't exactly missed having one around.

But a short while back, a woman in my neighborhood was selling some items for her mother who is moving soon. When I saw this set with the built-in VCR and original manuals and papers, I couldn't resist. I passed on the Mash tapes though. Ha

334317110-6018197368274002-3104250785646025559-n.jpg

I've got it set up in my workshop for now, so it's been convenient for testing old electronics if I'm fixing up a console or whatever. It's not too big or anything, and fortunately, the picture is good. I was worried it would be washed out or damaged from age, but I doubt this woman used it much.

Edit: forgot I took this pic the day I got it. Was testing out the VCR. She works! Ha
20230317-182422.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That setup is very pretty. Looks like a nice place to hang out. Thanks for sharing.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Jeebus....

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Went to a community yard sale today and caught me a curb side whale for free.Its a 32" or 27" Sony Trinitron in Top condition with remote.
I only had time to put that heavy sucka on a table to see if it powered up.
Looks nice,no screen burn in..I'll give the details and snap a photo of it a little later..
I can't wait to hook something up to it..
BB

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got this goobtastic 20 inch PVM from Mugicha a few months ago but just now finally set it up and tried it out.

pvm1.jpg

It looked decent in RGB but not quite right using component, but it had better geometry than most and I went into the settings to fiddle a bit.
pvm.jpg

The picture doesn't properly capture the goobtasticness, but this thing probably has the best image I've ever seen for SD game content. It's more or less the same as my old PVM I let go of a few years back but it doesn't have any of the issues with geometry or age that the old one had. I don't really plan on hooking consoles up to it, I think I'm pretty much just going to leave a Mister permanently attached.