Fucking Amazon

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This is the same thing all those gambling outlets are doing.The model or plan is to lose millions of dollars by hooking a major portion of the user base with too good to be true deals while driving the competition out of business.
Once the dust settles and they are one of a few that remain,the user base starts getting the shaft so they can recoup those initial losses.
BB

I’m sure the entire model was unsustainable and this was always the plan. (Ie hook a user base and then fuck them.)

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Amazon is probably short-staffed too. I still peruse the local daily help wanted ads on Google and I see Amazon warehouse openings pretty frequently.
Good, fuck them. Most companies these days have the same hiring practices they did in '09 when they didn't want to hire anyone.
I've sworn an oath to never apply to Amazon or Walmart ever again.

They opened a new warehouse next to me around the time the pandemic kicked off and I spent several weeks just applying for jobs.
I would be contacted unsolicited several times a day by different people to apply for dozens of positions all for them to never get back with me.
In three weeks something like 100 applications, 30 tests, 20 recruiters, 2 followups that consisted of I'm refering you to someone else.

Reality is they are laying off 100,000+ people over the last few months...with more still coming.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
apply for dozens of positions all for them to never get back with me.
In three weeks something like 100 applications, 30 tests, 20 recruiters, 2 followups that consisted of I'm refering you to someone else.

That’s shit, did you ask for feedback after? To apply for that many roles when they are expanding and not get one doesn’t quite add up.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
That’s shit, did you ask for feedback after? To apply for that many roles when they are expanding and not get one doesn’t quite add up.
I'm referring you to somebody else is the feedback.

Feedback? Ain't nobody here in the states got time for that in the last 20 years.
Especially some huge MegaCorp like Amazon. You're lucky to get a personal email to respond back to.
Plus I'm sure it's some sort of a liability anymore. You could probably sue over most any reason they give you.
So any response you'd get would be scripted anyways.

They get hurt feelings when they get ghosted though, I see it everyday on LinkedIn these days.
Who cares about them, they're getting paid. You don't get money for applying for a job.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Lately I've been having better luck on ebay of all places.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I can't say I've had any problems with Amazon, as of yet.
They often have things that are hard to find (even when you're looking on Ebay), and their prices are cheaper than anywhere else, on certain things.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This is the same thing all those gambling outlets are doing.The model or plan is to lose millions of dollars by hooking a major portion of the user base with too good to be true deals while driving the competition out of business.
Once the dust settles and they are one of a few that remain,the user base starts getting the shaft so they can recoup those initial losses.
BB

Which is all well and good, people reap the benefit when the investor class dumps money into buying market share. Think Uber subsidized rides. Then when they charge actual cost, people realize there are other options. My temporary loyalty can, in fact, be bought.

The problem is when state and local governments spread their asshole to lure an Amazon HQ with tax breaks and regulatory cuts and whatever other nonsense they love to tell you has no effect on all the mom and pops but they'll clear the obstructionist government path if it means a sloppy, wet photo op and a 'thousands of jobs' headline.

All the whores are lining up for money from the CHIPS bill as we speak which is a ridiculous monstrosity.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I mostly use Prime for the streaming. If you have it, they've just started giving away games to try to compete with the other digital storefronts, although they may primarily be targeting steam because some of the giveaways are tied to gog or stores I've never heard of before.

There's a lot of Neo Geo games that everyone probably already owns on a few platforms, the SNK 40th anniversary collection, and a few others in the first batch. Breathedge might be the most interesting inclusion in the first set.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah

Free to play Luma for February:
Yakuza Kawami ; Potion Permit ; WRC ; Skatebird

The new games haven't showed up yet.
EDIT: They they are!
Guess they're going to a weekly cycle. (two games)
Doesn't say what platform they are for.

February 2nd:
Elder Scrolls Morrowind GOTY GOG
OnSet Master Amazon Games

Ariel_Knights never yield: Divine Knockout
One hand Clapping, Bats
Space Crew, Tunche, Space World Organ trading simulator

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Which is all well and good, people reap the benefit when the investor class dumps money into buying market share. Think Uber subsidized rides. Then when they charge actual cost, people realize there are other options. My temporary loyalty can, in fact, be bought.

The problem is when state and local governments spread their asshole to lure an Amazon HQ with tax breaks and regulatory cuts and whatever other nonsense they love to tell you has no effect on all the mom and pops but they'll clear the obstructionist government path if it means a sloppy, wet photo op and a 'thousands of jobs' headline.

All the whores are lining up for money from the CHIPS bill as we speak which is a ridiculous monstrosity.
All the corporate welfare bills are a massive scam. The Covid related bills add up to the biggest spending spree in history and the end result was the highest death count in the world and the economic devastation of small businesses.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Back to Amazon... this is a pretty good article:

1. Start off with good deals, products, services
2. Crush the competitors
3. Corner the market
4. Increase prices and generally become terrible

Walmart did it with brick and mortar, now Amazon is reaching the endgame of the capitalist mega-corp cycle in online form. In recent years, states and local governments were scrambling to give them tax breaks to build facilities. Amazon has gone much further though in that AWS underpins much of the internet and they are also heavily intertwined with the federal government, media and the deep state. We're not far from OCP territory here.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I believe in Hobocop.

I disagree that Amazon is terrible. Sometimes things go awry, true, but, the vast majority of my transactions with them, both direct and third party sellers, go smoothly and I still find all sorts of great deals on there. If they ever do become a true monopoly, I'm confident that the government will break Amazon up.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
What the fuck is the deep state? Explain it to me like I’ve never watched Deep Space Nine.

@M

20 Year Member
The imaginary competent state that lies underneath all the superficial incompetent layers, controlled by the chosen few who actually know what the fook is going on and pull all the strings. The really smart dudes that make ED-209s that don't work right.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What the fuck is the deep state? Explain it to me like I’ve never watched Deep Space Nine.
There is this lizard kingdom called the Deep State and they control everything. I think it has something to do with people not being able to accept that humans with power are mostly terrible and that there must be some even more evil entity behind it all.

@M

20 Year Member
This never happened before until today. UPS just dropped off 2 Amazon packages for me and left a milkbone on top for the dog.
Screenshot_20230203-174527-401.png
My pooch is a raging psychopath, but, he's also never outside unattended or without a leash on either. You'd probably have to give him a cheeseburger or something really good like that to successfully distract him, he's not too fond of milkbones (but, he did take it when I offered it to him).
Screenshot_20230203-174454-094.png

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
We’ve used amazon prime for ages and no problems really. But I don’t think we do rush shipping because nothing we buy is urgent and don’t like disposing unnecessary cardboard. It’s more hassle than it’s worth.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Amazon is definitely going downhill. Their search engine is useless as well. Prime Video is good though and it's still better than driving to a store for some random item.
If anything keeps me from going to Wallymart (which I haven’t been to in at least four years) Im good.

I don’t have prime I loved watching Red Oaks, I would get it for a month or two for watching that and The Boys, I don’t think they have a month by month plan anymore?

@M

20 Year Member
If anything keeps me from going to Wallymart (which I haven’t been to in at least four years) Im good.

I don’t have prime I loved watching Red Oaks, I would get it for a month or two for watching that and The Boys, I don’t think they have a month by month plan anymore?
I think you can opt to pay monthly or for a full year (at a discount). I just wait for one of the free 30 days of Prime offers to pop up (just finished one today in fact). Otherwise, I keep a bunch of ~$10 items in my cart that I kind of want and tack one or two of those onto anything under $25 to get free shipping.

In my opinion, they should just give free shipping as a default; I buy more when I have it, not less. I probably bought 3-4x as much stuff from Amazon as I usually do over the last 30 days because I had that free Prime shipping bonus.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The deep state, or national security state, refers to the various alphabet agencies such as the CIA, NSA, FBI, etc and the military industrial complex of defense corporations, contractors, non-governmental agencies (NGOs), think tanks, etc. Amazon Web Services (AWS) has contracts with many of these agencies and groups.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Like-they are all in concert acting nefariously together…like Marvel’s H.Y.D.R.A.?

Surely, you’re pulling my leg here.

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
I just remembered that you get 24 hours of unlimited free shipping at Amazon after placing any $25+ order too, handy for tacking on anything you forgot.