I'm thinking of getting back into gaming.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
As the title states, looking to get back into gaming again. I am not a collector and am looking for a reasonable way to get back to enjoying games again. While I do like current games and know they are widely available, I am looking to get back to playing 16-Bit and 32-Bit gaming mostly.

At this point, is it a pipe dream to expect to enjoy playing PlayStation/ Saturn games? I know for older consoles like NES/Master System up to N64/Jaguar you can get SD loaders. Is this now what is the most acceptable method pf enjoying games on these platforms? I looked over at Stone Age Gamer and almost everything is out of stock.

At the moment I am looking to take the dive sometime in March or April. Just trying to formulate a gameplan right now. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

GAMEFAN

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
At this point, is it a pipe dream to expect to enjoy playing PlayStation/ Saturn games?
Do you mean have they aged well and are they still enjoyable or do you mean can they be easily and affordably acquired?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Do you mean have they aged well and are they still enjoyable or do you mean can they be easily and affordably acquired?
Hey Terry!

I mean the affordable part. There are some games I know that will age like milk but some still are fun to play. My main genre I am looking to get back into is shoot-em-ups and fighters.

Thanks!

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
If you don't own anything, I would recommend the MiSTer route. Not only can you play Saturn/PSX games you can also play everything that came before it including arcade games. You can set it up for whatever video output you want and use any controller. If you have a Saturn and Playstation already there are some nice sd loaders on the market that are pretty painlessly installed

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
SNES_Collector - yes, I am reading up on the various MISTer options. Looks nice and they look somewhat affordable for a complete solution.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you want all in one get a MiSTer but you have to keep up with it's updates and be willing to spend a bit of time setting it up. if you still want to use the actual consoles get Everdrives and ODEs.

There are no truly cheap options anymore unless you go with a RaspberryPi or a cheapo emulation box.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
If you want all in one get a MiSTer but you have to keep up with it's updates and be willing to spend a bit of time setting it up. if you still want to use the actual consoles get Everdrives and ODEs.

There are no truly cheap options anymore unless you go with a RaspberryPi or a cheapo emulation box.

Not planning on going the full emulation route. I am reading up on the MISTer options and may go for a packaged solution at some point. Since I still would like to get actual hardware, may look at going the Everdrive route.

Appreciate all the feedback and options!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
if you still want to use the actual consoles get Everdrives and ODEs.
it's interesting that old games have ridiculous prices nowadays but consoles still carry reasonable, some times even cheap, price tags. Using ODEs and Everdrives are basically back doors to enjoy the original consoles without getting bummed by retard resellers, I would have never considered owning real consoles these days if not for them.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am mainly looking to get into shoot-em-ups and fighters. In my first post I mention 32 bit gaming.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
another "getting back into the game" thread suspiciously absent of any mentions of specific games said person likes
At least it's not another "Getting back into the Neo!" thread.

it's interesting that old games have ridiculous prices nowadays but consoles still carry reasonable, some times even cheap, price tags. Using ODEs and Everdrives are basically back doors to enjoy the original consoles without getting bummed by retard resellers, I would have never considered owning real consoles these days if not for them.
I saw a 3DO sell for $2k on FB yesterday but you can still get the Dreamcast, PS1 and Saturn for fairly reasonable prices lol.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I am mainly looking to get into shoot-em-ups and fighters. In my first post I mention 32 bit gaming.
The Saturn core isn't 100% yet but the PSX one is getting there. Everything gets updated all the time though. Last time I've checked the PS1 core they added a turbo mode that made the few games I've tested keep a solid 30fps (PS1 Doom, Hydro Thunder). They also added a 480p mode if you care about that kind of stuff.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Hey @Gamefan - Like others have said, if you don't want to go the purely physical route, Mister is a great option. The arcade cores for CPS and Neo games replace any need for 32-bit ports of those games at the very least.

For physical - US releases of, well, anything these days will cost you. The import market is where the deals are and most fighting and shooting games are mostly reasonable so long as you avoid Ebay. PS1 is cheapest, but many of the best Saturn and Dreamcast titles are still quite reasonable. Same goes for Super Famicom over SNES.

The Mega Drive / Genesis markets are kinda wack right now with some high prices on both ends with the Import market being much more expensive over all but containing some sought after titles or versions of games - especially the Konami releases.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Yagamikun, I am looking at mainly getting into Japanese
To be more concise, I am looking to play games for the following systems:

Super Famicom
Saturn
Dreamcast
PlayStation
PlayStion 2

I might look at others later.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Super Famicom
Nintendo 64
Saturn
Dreamcast
PlayStation
PlayStion 2

Mister is the best option for a all in one.Still if you're going the original hardware route there are flash carts/everdrive for sfc and n64 at least.Dreamcast,Playstation and Saturn there are optical drive emulators for those systems.PS2 i've seen some that will take the original model put in a hard drive and rip games to it.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Man up and purchase the real sh8t.You'll appreciate it more and you can always get your money back or more out of it if you decide to sell it off.
Think of it as an investment you can have fun with and then cash out when you decide to bail.
BB

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member

Super Famicom
Nintendo 64
Saturn
Dreamcast
PlayStation
PlayStion 2

Ahh, cool. Thanks for that. If you want to go physical, and since Japanese games are your jam, you shouldn't run into too much trouble with game pricing with any of these consoles via import.

Nintendo 64 games, from what I gather, are getting kinda pricy these days. That's not a target console for me, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to that segment.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Cool. The N64 would be last as while I like some games from the library, the other systems would take precedent.

Last edited: