Credit card cashback % changes when using PayPal

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Have you ever noticed that you get a different cashback % if you pay for a purchase with your credit card through PayPal as opposed to using the card directly? When I use PayPal on AliExpress, I get 1% back, 5% if I don't; obviously, I stopped using PayPal when I discovered that. I'm guessing that they bill it under a different category because PayPal is a middleman in the transaction?

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I would highly recommend Aliexpress I have used them over 600x only 3 items never turned up aliexpress refunded straight away no hassle

@M

20 Year Member
Of course, your mileage will vary depending on your credit card's cashback program. I've got a Visa Signature Max Cash Preferred card, flat 1% back on any transaction, 2% and 5% cashback on specific categories that you can choose each quarter (groceries, fast food, gas, etc.)

@M

20 Year Member
You're surprised anybody pays attention to money?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I would highly recommend Aliexpress I have used them over 600x only 3 items never turned up aliexpress refunded straight away no hassle

You bought stuff from AliExpress 600 times?

How much stuff do you guys buy?!

:oops:

@M

20 Year Member
You will waste those few cents on fake lego anyway.
It's not a few cents, it's many dollars, 5% adds up quick if you spend hundreds. I cashed out $45.94 the other day, and that was cashback from just the last 2 months.

It's not actually money is it
Yes, it's actual money that I have direct deposited into my checking account. You can also spend it through participating businesses, like Amazon, or apply it towards your credit balance too (which is usually zero for me, as I always pay that off as soon as transactions are posted), but, I always take the cash.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I have no credit cards or debt 🤷‍♂️
If you have the discipline for it you should put your purchases on a credit card. It doesn’t cost you anything if you pay down the balance every month, and you earn value back based on whatever the card’s incentive system is, including a cash balance you can do with as you please.

The card companies make a lot of money because enough people *don’t* pay their balances down every month, of course.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That's the problem.If you have the discipline you'd probably be better of not using a cc at all or you'll get caught up in the"why should I deprive myself?" Syndrome.
It's boring having 50-100k in ccs and not leaving an outstanding balance.
Time>money
Nobody is promised tomorrow but use your cc like tomorrow will come meaning if you run a balance ,pay it down as fast as possible to whereas the fee is minimal/manageable
BB
If you have the discipline for it you should put your purchases on a credit card.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
That's the problem.If you have the discipline you'd probably be better of not using a cc at all or you'll get caught up in the"why should I deprive myself?" Syndrome.
It's boring having 50-100k in ccs and not leaving an outstanding balance.
Time>money
Nobody is promised tomorrow but use your cc like tomorrow will come meaning if you run a balance ,pay it down as fast as possible to whereas the fee is minimal/manageable
BB
Have you considered writing your response to a quote after the quote, rather than before it, just to follow the norms of how people read and think and how time and stuff works?

@M

20 Year Member
I've never paid a cent of interest or penalties on my credit card, they're hundreds of dollars in the hole to me for bonuses and cashbacks. I pay all of my charges off as soon as they're posted. They doubled my credit limit this year, without me asking, but, that didn't make me spend more either.

It's kind of backwards that customers who use their cards responsibly are known as "deadbeats" in the credit industry because they never make any money off them.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Huh, me too.

Aren't you going to be a homeowner?
I've been looking, I'm not going to spend £270k on something slightly larger than my flat which I pay bugger all for and suddenly have bills double. Seems a bit pointless tbh - we shall see