OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Final Frontier sucks more than The Last Jedi, my dude.

I know those are harsh ass words, but FF was so bad. At least they made up for it with Undiscovered Country.
Final Frontier isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's better than Insurrection, and the second & third reboot films.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Final Frontier isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's better than Insurrection, and the second & third reboot films.
Insurrection, I'll give you leeway on that since it too was awful, but it at least had decent effects and didn't have a hair metal Klingon/floating God head as a bad guy.

Final Frontier was awful across the board outside of the scenes with Sybok's scenes with McCoy and his dad, and Spock being born. The only nuggets of gold in a steaming pile. Shatner writing/directing + 1988 writers strike + ILM not being available for SFX = hot garbage.

Into Darkness, for all its flaws that piss off fans well versed in series canon and "rules", was still a mostly well-made and entertaining watch.

Beyond is a genuinely great movie and easily the best of the three JJ films, and best overall since First Contact IMO.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picard S3: Ep 1

Everyone is so old.

No Worf yet, tragically.

Looking forward to getting around to watching Lower Decks S3.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Reviews for Picard S3 have been stellar. Even longtime Nu Trek haters like Nerdrotic and RMB are on board after having seen screeners for either the first six episodes, or all ten.

After seeing episode 1, I can see why. Only one episode in and it definitely feels way more like Trek then the first two seasons, and the writing is noticeably better.

Only real complaint is there's more of that dumb grimdark blue/sepia everything lighting and color correction that makes it look washed out and bland. Want to really bring back TNG? Bring back the natural lighting and color from the show or movies.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How is it possible to have a review for Picard SE3 after 1 episode? There are a dozen more episodes to fuck it up.

However, I am halfway through ST:SNW and I'm really enjoying it. Just silly fun so far....

Fygee

20 Year Member
Like I said, many reviewers got to see either the first six episodes, or the full run ahead of time.

SNW is freaking fantastic. You're going to love it all the way through.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was sort of hoping we'd get the first two episodes or a 2 hour opener - as an episode I'm definitely just left wanting more. I hope it's not a continual mystery each episode until it's resolved.

Also...

...when are we going to get some Trek that explores what happened with the Borg at the end of S2 of Picard. I mean the new Borg under Queen Jurati sought to...join the Federation. Like, how do you drop that and not do a followup.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Like I said, many reviewers got to see either the first six episodes, or the full run ahead of time.

SNW is freaking fantastic. You're going to love it all the way through.

SNW is better than Discovery, which isn't that hard. Star Trek Picard is way better than both SNW and Discovery.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
SNW is better than Discovery

This is accurate information. But tbh having a bad case of chlamydia is better than Discovery. Discovery is actually worse than Enterprise. Its that bad.

Star Trek Picard is way better than both SNW and Discovery.

This is inaccurate information. As much as I like Trek and TNG, the first 2 seasons were pretty underwhelming all in all. This first episode was pretty good but I cannot stand that Raffi chick so any time shes on screen I kinda check out. SNW is literally the most Trek-like Trek show since TNG.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This is inaccurate information. As much as I like Trek and TNG, the first 2 seasons were pretty underwhelming all in all. This first episode was pretty good but I cannot stand that Raffi chick so any time shes on screen I kinda check out. SNW is literally the most Trek-like Trek show since TNG.

SNW is more like the original Treks than Discovery was, I guess. But mainly because it has less political content than Discovery.

Out of the new Star Treks that have come out in recent years, only Picard is (arguably) as good as Enterprise, and that's because it has the actors/characters from TNG, and not too much woke/political content. I didn't like the CGI on Enterprise though, or the last episode. Anyone who says they don't like Enterprise should watch the two "In a Mirror, Darkly" episodes, and then tell me they don't like it.

I've seen (at least once) all of the episodes of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Picard, and all of the movies. I've also seen some episodes of Discovery & SNW. But Discovery had so much political content, that's why I haven't seen all the episodes. It actually made it hard to watch.
I suppose TNG is more politically correct than TOS. But I think political correctness can ruin Star Trek, if there's too much. Real Star Trek is supposed to be about an interesting & engaging story, not (current) politics.

The Orville also has some woke/political content. But apart from that, it's arguably to closest to the old Trek, in how the show is made/produced, even more than Star Trek: Picard.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Orville S3 didn't dip its toes into political content, it dove into the pool. There's a difference and its target audience isn't oblivious. It's a campy sci fi show that shifted into something else. Star Trek didn't need to advertise it was progressive, it just was.

Discovery was decent in its original screenplay. The current adaptation is below average. Mostly because it didn't follow the original writing. There is a lot to like in Discovery if you can ignore all the pieces that are absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Orville didn't dip its toes into political content, it dove into the pool. There's a difference and its target audience isn't oblivious. It's a campy sci fi show that shifted into something else. Star Trek didn't need to advertise it was progressive, it just was.

Discovery was decent in its original screenplay. The current adaptation is below average. Mostly because it didn't follow the original writing. There is a lot to like in Discovery if you can ignore all the pieces that are absolutely terrible.
The first two seasons of Orville were pretty great and it really did feel like an extension of TNG, especially with a lot of Trek people working on it.

But the third season was just overtly preachy and had annoying changes.

I checked out of discovery in whatever season it was that they blew up the black dudes planet. I think. Third? The whole thing with the trans kid who was dead that was dating the trans girl who was/wasn't a host for a Trill was completely stupid.

The only good thing to come from Discovery was Saru, Jason Isaac's Lorca and Strange New Worlds.

Other than that, Discovery is 100% forgettable shippable garbage. And the main character is completely worthless.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Characters dying and coming back is not something I care for, generally. I know they did it between Trek 2 and 3 but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

At least Tasha Yar stayed dead…mostly.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So Picard S1 was the resolution of Data’s story.
Picard S2 was the resolution of Picard’s story about family (which was only briefly explored Generations and I think tangentially it’s what Nemesis is about.)

I wonder what S3 will ultimately be about.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Characters dying and coming back is not something I care for, generally. I know they did it between Trek 2 and 3 but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
It's the reason I think Trek 3 is such a garbage movie. Well, the biggest reason, at least.

Reactions: SML

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
So Picard S1 was the resolution of Data’s story.
Picard S2 was the resolution of Picard’s story about family (which was only briefly explored Generations and I think tangentially it’s what Nemesis is about.)

I wonder what S3 will ultimately be about.
Money

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It's the reason I think Trek 3 is such a garbage movie. Well, the biggest reason, at least.

Yeah, I agree - though it’s clear that Spock not being dead was always the plan. Oh well.

I do like the interaction between Kirk and Spock at the end. Spock asking Kirk “Why would you do this?” is so Vulcan/Spock and of course Kirk’s reply “Sometimes the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.”

I absolutely think that Kirk and the crew would do whatever it took to rescue Spock, I just hate the circumstances it happened in was magical resurrection.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also…remember about 10-12 years ago when autotuning shit was cool? I still think this slaps:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
:emb:
I think my testosterone just left my body in embarrassment

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
:emb:
I think my testosterone just left my body in embarrassment
giphy.gif