Should The Marketplace Be Opened Up for Everyone?

Should The Marketplace Be Opened For Everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 48.8%

• Total voters

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
here’s a wild thought…

Maybe if new members don’t get treated like absolute shit right off the bat…they’ll stay?

Crazy I know (ok some might deserve it, but not all)

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Open it up - we might get some more activity on the marketplace. And some of the leeches might even stay and become fully contributing members… *sniggers*

Forum is near dead anyway, might as well open the floodgates.
whoa...you are flying too close to the sun there, icarus...

• keke
Reactions: wyo

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
here’s a wild thought…

Maybe if new members don’t get treated like absolute shit right off the bat…they’ll stay?

Crazy I know (ok some might deserve it, but not all)
stick to youtube videos, buddy.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
This forum is like the kid who wants more friends but every time they need someone new they try to fight them 🤷🏻‍♂️

And yet secretly you love the abuse here, else you'd have left already.

Is it refreshing to find the content you post here not met with mountains of digital high fives from 14 year olds, unlike what happens on YouTube?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
And yet secretly you love the abuse here, else you'd have left already.

Is it refreshing to find the content you post here not met with mountains of digital high fives from 14 year olds, unlike what happens on YouTube?
I’ve been here 14 years. Not going anywhere

Still say we can’t end up as some small enclave of people who shit on everyone new

Like case in point of this site I helped a dude in his early 20s find a Hyper board and a copy of Buriki. Now they play it at weekly meet ups out East. I get nobody really cares about the Hyper…but there are people younger that us that do want to enjoy this shit

But he specifically didn’t come on this forum because he heard he should avoid it. That’s not the stuff that keeps the boards alive

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My personal opinion: I think it couldn't hurt to give this a try. It would have to be implemented in such a way as to keep manual intervention for Cory and me to a minimum to avoid unnecessary delays.

Interesting discussion so far, keep at it, guys.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve been here 14 years. Not going anywhere

Still say we can’t end up as some small enclave of people who shit on everyone new

Like case in point of this site I helped a dude in his early 20s find a Hyper board and a copy of Buriki. Now they play it at weekly meet ups out East. I get nobody really cares about the Hyper…but there are people younger that us that do want to enjoy this shit

I'm all for new members and don't particularly believe in roasting everyone new that joins the site, I definitely agree give the n00bs a chance.

But, it is totally acceptable to flame away to the overly-sensitive gen z man child who know nothing about the Neo and don't even do the most basic of research before asking often asked questions or going straight to the 'how do I get access to the marketplace' question.

There is a battle of the generations being had with new members who just don't fit in here, and that's okay - they can always join reddit or the Facebook groups and get the adrenaline rush they are looking for from spending lots of money on a Samurai Spirits 2 fresh from eBay.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'm all for new members and don't particularly believe in roasting everyone new that joins the site, I definitely agree give the n00bs a chance.

But, it is totally acceptable to flame away to the overly-sensitive gen z man child who know nothing about the Neo and don't even do the most basic of research before asking often asked questions or going straight to the 'how do I get access to the marketplace' question.

There is a battle of the generations being had with new members who just don't fit in here, and that's okay - they can always join reddit or the Facebook groups and get the adrenaline rush they are looking for from spending lots of money on a Samurai Spirits 2 fresh from eBay.
And that I agree with. I don’t want people to pop in, have 1 post and buy some sweet “friends” priced shit and disappear

Trust me, I get it…people out there are hungry for flippers deals. I get a good dozen emails a week asking to buy shit I have or asking if I’ll sell my entire collection. It’s fucking 50 cents on the dollar offers. All just opportunists looking for a resale deal

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I honestly really, really despise video game flippers. Get a real fucking job you nerd, or flip something more worthwhile like cars or houses if you actually want to make a career out of flipping.

I see the risk that opening up the marketplace does expose us to those parasites. But if I was selling, I'd definitely prioritise deals with long standing members over n00bs with 50 posts or less, even if the n00bs pm'ed me first. I assume as seller you can still set your own rules like that.

My bare AES carts brings all the nerds to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours...

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I honestly really, really despise video game flippers. Get a real fucking job you nerd, or flip something more worthwhile like cars or houses if you actually want to make a career out of flipping.

I see the risk that opening up the marketplace does expose us to those parasites. But if I was selling, I'd definitely prioritise deals with long standing members over n00bs with 50 posts or less, even if the n00bs pm'ed me first. I assume as seller you can still set your own rules like that.

My bare AES carts brings all the nerds to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours...
They are out there. I’ve gotten emails that basically ask “if you are in financial trouble I’ll buy all your stuff for 50-60% of it’s value…no questions asked”

Just hoping to prey on someone. I tell them all to get fucked

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
They are out there. I’ve gotten emails that basically ask “if you are in financial trouble I’ll buy all your stuff for 50-60% of it’s value…no questions asked”

Just hoping to prey on someone. I tell them all to get fucked
To be fair that's still 89000 for a hyper prototype

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Well. This poll turned out to be a disaster. Like any of you are buying high value items and especially on here

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
£500 transformer toys exempt of course

Spoiler:
Lucienne's Quest > kids toys

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'd like to know how many of the "Yes" voters are longstanding members or those with a 100+ post count with accounts created within the last 3 years.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Says someone who spends £500 on kebabs a month.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, how about this then:

1. A newly registered member can post replies in Marketplace threads but cannot start his/her own threads at first. Until he or she has reached 30 posts, the user title will be set to "n00b".

2. When a new user has reached 30 posts, he or she will automatically be promoted to full member status which includes being able to start threads in the Marketplace. From 30 to 40 posts, the user title will be set to "New Challenger".

3. It's your own decision whom to deal with, tread with caution and always carry a heavy laser. You want the market to be open so you gotta deal with it. There will be no dedicated market mod for now, any complaints/questions/death threats should be directed to Cory, me or trashcan.

Trial period will be 3 months.

Marketplace FAQs will be changed accordingly.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Okay, how about this then:

1. A newly registered member can post replies in Marketplace threads but cannot start his/her own threads at first. Until he or she has reached 30 posts, the user title will be set to "n00b".

2. When a new user has reached 30 posts, he or she will automatically be promoted to full member status which includes being able to start threads in the Marketplace. From 30 to 40 posts, the user title will be set to "New Challenger".

3. It's your own decision whom to deal with, tread with caution and always carry a heavy laser. You want the market to be open so you gotta deal with it. There will be no dedicated market mod for now, any complaints/questions/death threats should be directed to Cory, me or trashcan.

Trial period will be 3 months.

Marketplace FAQs will be changed accordingly.
My only counter would be raise the post threshold to 50 posts.

Otherwise, go for it.

EDIT: So, minimum post threshold: 50 posts / New Challenger threshold - 51 - 100 posts.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah if its been decided thats cool, but I agree about the post limitation.

Also, maybe I'm an asshole but maybe institute a "you must pay or ship first until X amount of deals" or whatever. I dunno, just an idea.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah if its been decided thats cool, but I agree about the post limitation.

Also, maybe I'm an asshole but maybe institute a "you must pay or ship first until X amount of deals" or whatever. I dunno, just an idea.
Nothing has been decided yet, I'm putting it up as a suggestion.

Okay guys, you've started this so please speak up now.