*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Can you analyze the proto metadata to hack into the secret Japanese server to retrieve the ROMs?

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Protos and the obsession with them is dumb af. They didn't make it to market for one reason or another; they aren't even a footnote in history, let's be real. Most, if not all, are plain awful.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I still think these roms will get leaked eventually. Maybe to a few select at first, but eventually it will trickle down to us plebs. Almost nothing stays secret for ever in the rom world.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I still think these roms will get leaked eventually. Maybe to a few select at first, but eventually it will trickle down to us plebs. Almost nothing stays secret for ever in the rom world.
even if they don't. it is very likely to have very little impact on the preservation of neo-geo history.

just because i don't know what periodical truman read while taking a shit the day the atomic bombs were dropped doesn't mean i've preserved any less history nor lack some sort of important historical context.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You'd think whoever owns the copyright to the game, would have the right to get a copy of the game (if they don't have it) from whoever has it now.
Because, how can they own the copyright, if they don't have a copy of the game, or the source code?

It would be silly if SNK, or whoever the publishers were, couldn't release the game now (even if they wanted to), because they don't have it any more.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
You'd think whoever owns the copyright to the game, would have the right to get a copy of the game (if they don't have it) from whoever has it now.
Because, how can they own the copyright, if they don't have a copy of the game, or the source code?

It would be silly if SNK, or whoever the publishers were, couldn't release the game now (even if they wanted to), because they don't have it any more.

Joe - they don't care because the games are shit, unfinished, barely playable.

Most people who create something that's not worthy of their name generally bin it and start again, they're not interested in preserving it for a tiny group of mentally challenged individuals who hold such aberations in the same esteem that history nerds revere the Holy Grail.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

So you're saying if a private collector has a copy the company that owns the rights could force the private party to produce a copy?

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
Honest question:

does anyone really care about some lost 2D games that feel and look either like rubbish or any other game out there?

I mean in like 30-50 years we'll be all living in a dystopian Fist of the Northstar-like future anyway...

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
Whatever the quality or completion, they're neo geo games made in the 1990s Japanese way - something we'll never have anymore. So yeah, I'd like to be able to play them, or just poke my nose in front of their attract mode, or say shit on a forum about them. Definitely more interesting than the next ubisoft release on a console I don't have.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Honest question:

does anyone really care about some lost 2D games that feel and look either like rubbish or any other game out there?
Yes, I do. Then again I'm into unreleased games and prototypes so I may not be representative of the general population. Still, it's nice to see some new non fighting games surface for the NG.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Honest question:

I mean in like 30-50 years we'll be all living in a dystopian Fist of the Northstar-like future anyway...
If you're asking if I care about lost games that look "like rubbish" I guess, maybe not so much.

But if you're saying all the remaining non-public Neo Geo unreleased games look "like rubbish" then that doesn't seem like an honest question, because your question is already biased.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Honest question:

I'm always fascinated by games that "never were", so yes, I care. They're interesting relics of the digital heyday of their time.

The quality of the game doesn't really matter that much to me. I'm more interested in finding out what they were trying acheive, what direction they were going to get there, and why it ended up on the cutting room floor. Its neat to get stories from the developers when we're rarely able to in order to get some insight, but there's no replacement for being able to actually play and experience it (regardless of how busted it is).

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
We know there's at least one person out there with access to most of the remaining games at this point. I'm fine with those people being financially compensated somehow if need be. However, it is simply immoral to be the only person who has access to these sought after items that have value to others in this hobby.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I'm always fascinated by games that "never were", so yes, I care. They're interesting relics of the digital heyday of their time.

The quality of the game doesn't really matter that much to me. I'm more interested in finding out what they were trying acheive, what direction they were going to get there, and why it ended up on the cutting room floor. Its neat to get stories from the developers when we're rarely able to in order to get some insight, but there's no replacement for being able to actually play and experience it (regardless of how busted it is).
I think developer interviews are much more interesting than their final product. A ROM without context isn't all that interesting, especially when they have no distinct mechanics or technical features.

All of this just reminds me of the pickled eggs I have on my cupboard, yeah it's great these hard boiled quail eggs are finally preserved but they just stay inside the jar suspended in vinegar indefinitely. At some point I liked the idea of eating those eggs, but I don't ever seem to want to open the jar? Will I actually want to explore DA ROMZ to its fullest extent once it's out? I've only felt like doing that once (GBC Resident Evil release).

Reading/watching speculation on what's not available is much more fun anyway, alongside making fun of people that base their whole personality around owning refuse chute games other people have made (never gets old).