Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

You know, seeing this makes me wonder if you could develop a handheld like this or the switch and every few years just swap out the main "body" in order to "upgrade" the device. Granted, it'd still be expensive but maybe save you a bit of cash on the controllers. Perhaps if the screen was also somehow removable and you just plopped on a module on the back.

Though I suppose in attempting to make the device modular you'd increase the costs to the point it wouldn't be worth it. I guess we already know it's easier to glue everything down.

I haven't used the deck much lately. Been playing a lot of gamepass stuff. Thinking about biting the bullet on the FF7 remake soon.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It’s built into the case. It’s from Benzacap. The case is so so but the kickstand is great.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Got a new cover for the steamdeck fits really well 

Attachments

• IMG-20230201-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20230201-WA0020.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the offer, Hanzo. I don't have Doom Eternal but I still have to go back to and finish Doom 2016.

Pinball Arcade (DX11 version) is completely playable on deck even though it's marked as unsupported.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's too late mate, already gone. Loved Doom 2016 but Eternal felt more like a platformer than a shooter. Stopped playing it pretty early.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year

You know, seeing this makes me wonder if you could develop a handheld like this or the switch and every few years just swap out the main "body" in order to "upgrade" the device. Granted, it'd still be expensive but maybe save you a bit of cash on the controllers. Perhaps if the screen was also somehow removable and you just plopped on a module on the back.

Though I suppose in attempting to make the device modular you'd increase the costs to the point it wouldn't be worth it. I guess we already know it's easier to glue everything down.

I haven't used the deck much lately. Been playing a lot of gamepass stuff. Thinking about biting the bullet on the FF7 remake soon.
I'm not able to watch the video you linked ATM, but I didn't think the controls were removable on the onexplayer. There's a bunch of stuff coming out over the last two years that looks like variations on the switch, but the only one I've seen with removable controllers is the Alienware UFO, which seems to be just an old concept and unlikely to be released at this point.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It's too late mate, already gone. Loved Doom 2016 but Eternal felt more like a platformer than a shooter. Stopped playing it pretty early.

No worries! The offer just reminded me of the backlog I still have to work through.

Thinking about games I abandoned and Steam's unreliable support tags, I installed Hydrophobia: Prophecy (marked unsupported) and it seems to run fine, although there's a configuration screen you have to click through to launch it.

I've been a lot better about actually playing the backlog this year. In the last month, I went through both Resident Evil: Revelations games (on desktop) and finished up Contrast (on Deck), which drove me crazy at first because it had been so long since I'd put it down that I'd forgotten that the character has an air dash.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm not able to watch the video you linked ATM, but I didn't think the controls were removable on the onexplayer. There's a bunch of stuff coming out over the last two years that looks like variations on the switch, but the only one I've seen with removable controllers is the Alienware UFO, which seems to be just an old concept and unlikely to be released at this point.

Controls are like the switch in what I linked.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Controls are like the switch in what I linked.
Thanks, I see it now. Looks like this is a new offering from onexplayer. Their existing systems, also called onexplayer, doesn't have the switch controls. Looks cool.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I installed Hydrophobia: Prophecy (marked unsupported) and it seems to run fine, although there's a configuration screen you have to click through to launch it.

Update: Hydrophobia: Prophecy kind of stinks. It's also freezing unpredictably. I'll try it out on my windows 10 desktop to see if this is a proton problem, or what. Pinball Arcade (DX11) continues to run well. Betrayer is marked as runs great, but the last time I tried it the skybox was glitched out.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Resident evil demo came out today to fix the graphical glitches follow this -

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Has anyone installed the Battle.net launcher on their deck?

I've added the battle.net setup .exe as a non steam game, set forced compatibility with appropriate proton ge versions, and when I attempt to install the launcher by running as a non steam game I get...nothing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah I might have to try going through Lutris. Not really sure why the other method doesn't work.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Joined some friends for a trip, and one of them brought his Steam Deck. It went about as well as I expected.
The number of games that worked without fuss was Zero. We tried even a mix of indie, 2d, fighting, and 3d games. I wouldn't call any of these complete blockers, but they were definitely unexpected and annoying.
  • Wine Crashes
  • Unmapped inputs.
  • Clipped resolutions

After two days of constant config changes on "Steam Deck Verified" games, he gave up and just played his Switch for the rest of the trip. Not that I was shopping for one, but it would be pausing if I had one in my cart.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Joined some friends for a trip, and one of them brought his Steam Deck. It went about as well as I expected.
The number of games that worked without fuss was Zero. We tried even a mix of indie, 2d, fighting, and 3d games. I wouldn't call any of these complete blockers, but they were definitely unexpected and annoying.
  • Wine Crashes
  • Unmapped inputs.
  • Clipped resolutions

After two days of constant config changes on "Steam Deck Verified" games, he gave up and just played his Switch for the rest of the trip. Not that I was shopping for one, but it would be pausing if I had one in my cart.
Is unmapped inputs the worst complaint of all time? It's only existed in every PC game that lets you use a controller for over a decade. Oh god forbid, I have to configure my essentially PC to play PC games, whoever would've thunk?!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Is unmapped inputs the worst complaint of all time? It's only existed in every PC game that lets you use a controller for over a decade. Oh god forbid, I have to configure my essentially PC to play PC games, whoever would've thunk?!

It's actually not common. And i'm not talking about assigning a button to jump. We had to bring up the virtual keyboard and use unusual controls just to navigate somethign simple like Inscyrption.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been doing some Xbox Cloud gaming (game streaming) on the deck.

Loop Hero came to game pass so I’ve been streaming it to the deck while I’m in bed.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Been doing some Xbox Cloud gaming (game streaming) on the deck.

Loop Hero came to game pass so I’ve been streaming it to the deck while I’m in bed.

Every time I've tried cloud gaming the lag drove me nuts....and I have solid internet. It seems paranormal to me....like HOW does it actually work for people?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't really like cloud gaming over the internet, but doing it on a local network with a good router is pretty great. It didn't really work for me until I got a new router recently though.