Best PC Engine controller?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Busted out my PCE last night and the controller is about to shit the bed. I've only ever used the regular 2 button one and figured since it needs replacing I'd see what you guys use and recommend. Is there a nice 8bitdo or equivalent one now, or a 3rd party Japanese one that is really nice?

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
HORI Fighting Commander & HORI Fighting Stick (HPJ-08) are the best choice.
I still have and use Fighting Stick. It's the same as NEO-GEO version, solid !

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I get that this isn't 100% what you're asking, since it would require an adapter to use on PCE, but the Hori Fighting Commander Octa is the best controller I've ever used, period.

The old PCE controllers are getting pretty dicey now. My Core Grafx 2 controller is pretty junky. I have a six button controller that's basically new, but that thing isn't comfortable to hold for longer than 10 mins or so.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh yeah I had the Hori stick that worked on like 3 different systems, it was nice but I didn't care for it. To me PCE just doesn't feel right with a stick. I want a pad.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
8bitdo does make a PCE style controller, but it's USB, so would also require an adapter. I can see what you mean about using a stick - somehow a pad feels more appropriate on PCE.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I like the 6 button controller by NEC. That's my most used.

I would like the 3 button NEC Avenue controller but I feel the dpad is stiff. It's crazy how reliant games are on the select/start, just wish my thumb didn't die every time I used it.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I think @pixeljunkie has Cordless Controller Set (Reciever + 2X controllers) for sale in his thread...

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Duo rx controller is super comfortable imo

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
How the times have changed, to have people recommending the 6-button “visual novel pad” that comes with the RX. LOL.

The ave 6 is much better but I can’t recommend it because it messes with the turbo switch positioning, flipping those with the thumb is pretty much second nature to anyone that owns a PCE. Ave 3 could have been the best one but the dpad feels gross to use (glad to know it’s not just my controller). Just go for another coregrafx era two buttoner…

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I think @pixeljunkie has Cordless Controller Set (Reciever + 2X controllers) for sale in his thread...

The wireless ones actually work great. They were my go-to until I sold off my system.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Avenue Pad 6 for me but you can also have a look at the Brook Super Converter (PC Engine/MD)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Avenue 3 is probably the most useful since there are a lot of games that map an action button to either select or start. I just don't use mine all the time since the buttons tend to squeak a little, which I hear is common. I use the regular 2 button controllers most of the time. The Shuttle controller can be a bit more comfortable if you have larger hands.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Duo rx controller is super comfortable imo
It looks cool, it feels good, but the dpad is fucked.

The stock two button controllers are the best. How many games actually use six buttons?

For those six button games which are probably fighting games, just by some adapter and use a stick you have lying around.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
How the times have changed, to have people recommending the 6-button “visual novel pad” that comes with the RX. LOL.

The ave 6 is much better but I can’t recommend it because it messes with the turbo switch positioning, flipping those with the thumb is pretty much second nature to anyone that owns a PCE. Ave 3 could have been the best one but the dpad feels gross to use (glad to know it’s not just my controller). Just go for another coregrafx era two buttoner…

I got used to the Ave 6. Even the chunky size is nice to hold IMO. I actually don't really like the Hori 6 but I have that too. I think the fact that it's shaped like an SNES controller hurts it. My index fingers go right to the sides expecting non existent L/R butons. It's not horrible, but not my go to.

I tried to replace the dpad on the Ave 3 but it was not effective. I think something is flawed with the movement or other.

either go default controller or Ave 6, that's my opinion.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thanks for the input so far guys. Looks like the OG controller is probably the best option. I'll never play anything that needs 6 buttons.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've had luck fixing PCE pads by just opening and cleaning the parts with dish soap. The PCB can be cleaned with IPA.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Thanks for the input so far guys. Looks like the OG controller is probably the best option. I'll never play anything that needs 6 buttons.
There's 3 button controllers, the 3rd button can be either Select, Run or off. Most games didn't use select and run but it's handy when you do come across one. It's also slightly bigger.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
+1 for the Hori Fighting Commander PC. Plus it colour-matches nicely with the Duo, as does their fighting stick.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Another vote for the Hori Fighting Commander PC - great controller. Awesome for Street Fighter II, and great with just about everything else too.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Avenue Pad 6 for me but you can also have a look at the Brook Super Converter (PC Engine/MD)
I don't have that particular adapter but I will attest to the ones I do have are Ace. (Wingman SD & Xone P3/4 adapter)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I got used to the Ave 6. Even the chunky size is nice to hold IMO. I actually don't really like the Hori 6 but I have that too. I think the fact that it's shaped like an SNES controller hurts it. My index fingers go right to the sides expecting non existent L/R butons. It's not horrible, but not my go to.

I tried to replace the dpad on the Ave 3 but it was not effective. I think something is flawed with the movement or other.

either go default controller or Ave 6, that's my opinion.
I haven't tried Hori's stuff so I can't comment but yeah I really like the ergonomics of the Ave 6, actually even more so than the genny controller (don't ban please). It's just the unfortunate turbo switch positioning that pisses me off, I only use the 6 on SF2 because of that basically.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The 3 button pad does sound appealing. I'll take my current one apart and clean it before buying anything new though.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Anyone who says Fighting Commander PC is really a Super Nintendo loving traitor to the NEC cause.

The place is full of system whores so would you expect anything less?