What records are you listening to tonight?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I had the Ortofon blue a while back, and while it was a nice cart, it just wasn't for me. As far as carts in that price range, I much preferred the AT vm540ml. I think the biggest improvement to my ears comes from the microline stylus vs the elliptical of the 2m Blue. But different ears, ymmv, etc.

I'll tell you though, while amazon and musicdirect and most dealers will have carts at the same standard price unless they're open box or something, it's worth getting on the guitarcenter mailing list because they send out periodic coupons for 15-20% off, and you can save some coin on a new cart. While they do carry Ortofon, I don't believe they carry their 2m line.

Here's the cart I recommend to guys in the sub 300 range:

I upgraded to the AT VM540ML about two years ago. Another satisfied customer here.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's worth it Shroom. Had an Ortofon OM 10 the predecessor of the 2M Red. Diamond is only tiped on those. From OM 20 and Blue onwards it's a naked diamond.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I've got no idea about diamond profiles on my cart tbh but it sounds good 👍
My 40 € Thakker replacement or an Analogis Black Diamond stylus both sound better than a stock OM 10 or M2 Red. It's fine for me and my Thorens.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
You can go up to the 2M black I believe which is a super MM cart. Just take the old one off and plug it in. I've just checked the tracking force for the red vs blue and they are the same. So yeah it should be a straight swap.

Going to the bronze or black would be a big jump, but a jump in cost also.
Alright. Just not sure if its worth swapping on my ancient Dual 621.

The Red and Blue are a straight swap. That cart doesn’t work with the Black and Bronze which are also interchangeable. The Blue is a lot better than the Red. I have an AT 540ml now which is a little more but better again than the Blue.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I had the Ortofon blue a while back, and while it was a nice cart, it just wasn't for me. As far as carts in that price range, I much preferred the AT vm540ml. I think the biggest improvement to my ears comes from the microline stylus vs the elliptical of the 2m Blue. But different ears, ymmv, etc.

I'll tell you though, while amazon and musicdirect and most dealers will have carts at the same standard price unless they're open box or something, it's worth getting on the guitarcenter mailing list because they send out periodic coupons for 15-20% off, and you can save some coin on a new cart. While they do carry Ortofon, I don't believe they carry their 2m line.

Here's the cart I recommend to guys in the sub 300 range:

I’ve got the 540ml also, great cart. Maybe a little on the bright side but once your ears adjust to it, it’s nice.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I’ve got the 540ml also, great cart. Maybe a little on the bright side but once your ears adjust to it, it’s nice.

Yeah, I quite like it. I've been using the 750SH for a while now, but the 540 got me into the AT line. I've used a bunch of different mm carts over the years, but I love the lack of sibilance and inner groove distortion you get with this line of AT carts, so I've been high on them for a few years now.

And while it was mentioned, I wanted to make sure you know, Zeta, that the 2m red can be swapped with the blue stylus, but not the bronze or black. The red and blue body are the same, and thus have interchangeable styli, while the bronze and black have the same body and are interchangeable with each other. Sometimes guys get confused over that.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Unless it’s absolutely falling apart, it probably is.
got two of them and they are in great condition considering their age. the automatic also still works. both were refurbished at a local record store here. quality german engineering.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
got two of them and they are in great condition considering their age. the automatic also still works. both were refurbished at a local record store here. quality german engineering.

Its hard to beat TTs made during the golden age and every current auto, AFAICT, is built on the same crap mechanism. Keep those guys forever.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Recent pickup from the Blue Note spring sale.

Attachments

• 20230331_214329.jpg
    20230331_214329.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dumbass, no one can even tell what you're playing in this picture. What the fucking hell kind of Instagram shit is this?
I think he's trying to show off his stylus/cartridge... but of course he had to do it in the most obnoxious and pretentious way possible.