Samurai Shodown VI PS2 vs PS4

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Has anyone played both versions? I know many people aren't a fan of this game, but I still want to pick it up and I'd like to know the differences and which is the ideal version to play.

I'm going to assume it looks better on a PS2 running on a CRT via component cables than it does on a PS4 running via HDMI on a flat panel, but I don't know becuase I haven't played it nor can I find any comparison videos or screenshots comparing the two.

Or is there some other version I'm not aware of that's even better?

Thoughts?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looks awesome, but I'd have to buy a dreamcast, and I wasn't really in the market for a dreamcast.
Not sure which conversions run from disc either, so you might also need an ODE.

I have the PS2 port as well, and I think you probably have the right idea leaning toward that one. The PS2 version is a contemporary Atomiswave to home conversion, whereas the PS4 version is a modern re-release, so it's more likely to be adulterated with weird video settings or remastering.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Not sure which conversions run from disc either, so you might also need an ODE.

I have the PS2 port as well, and I think you probably have the right idea leaning toward that one. The PS2 version is a contemporary Atomiswave to home conversion, whereas the PS4 version is a modern re-release, so it's more likely to be adulterated with weird video settings or remastering.

Yeah, I think you just gave me enough validation to go with the PS2 version.. I'm personally not a fan of modern filters for old games, or even the way old games look over HDMI so yeah..

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
The PS2 version is a contemporary Atomiswave to home conversion, whereas the PS4 version is a modern re-release, so it's more likely to be adulterated with weird video settings or remastering.

Isn't the PS4 version just the PS2 game emulated? I could have sworn that was the case with those SNKP re-releases.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Samurai VI is an ugly game to begin with in my opinion anyway. The backgrounds don't fit with the character sprites. The characters are a mish-mash from different games. It feels very thrown together.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Game is so bad,it needs blood ,mutilations and gorey fatalities to be worth playing imo.
I know the AI on the Atomiswave version is brain dead.
I purchased the original some years back for like three or four hundred? Got rid of it very quickly and then when the boots came out,I picked up one of those just to get a good amount of play in on it and quickly sold that off.
I would definitely go for the PS2 version for this one and hope that the AI would be a little tougher for my taste.
BB

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Samurai VI is an ugly game to begin with in my opinion anyway.

Definitely. The backgrounds are ugly, boring, and uninspired. Hitsparks and other effects look like the developers were a bit too excited to be on new hardware. Weird about the announcer in the home ports, who still speaks Japanese but with an English accent.

The PSP version also has this weird thing going on where items in the HUD like the round and victory announcements look abysmal. They look like the graphic was stored as a tiny, super low resolution jpg then blown up when displayed.