SSM proudly presents... "The Top 50 SEGA Saturn games"

Steve

The Wonder Years,
thanks for reading & good night

Exactly one month and 100 posts later, we have come down to the final post (at least theoretically speaking, whatever the hell that means) I'd like to take this time to say a couple things.

First of all, thanks to all of you -- because of the many (avid) Saturn users here, I create this thread. Had it not been for you folks (and if you ever clicked on this thread, that means YOU) this never would have existed here. Also thanks to the board capabilities, JPG images were thrown in to spice things up, to create a much more "complete" atmosphere.
I posted this top 50 thing in five different places but BY FAR neo-geo.com was the one I enjoyed posting to the most. So thanks for reading and game on. I hope it was as much fun for you guys as it was for me.

I may have been the chairman of this operation, but I must thank my Vice Chairman, R.C. Davis, and my Deputy Vice Chairman, John Sinidad. Both of these weekend warriors were ready to fill in for me in case of emergency. Also thank you to my producer, Ray Woodson, for keeping me on my game, making sure every entry you saw was worth your while and that the quality of each post was up to par.

And of course, thanks to SSM -- especially editor Rich Leadbetter for sailing the great ship that was Sega Saturn Magazine. Let's finish things out... with two letters printed to SSM...

issue 34, August '98

Dear SSM,
When it came to getting a "next generation" machine I opted for a PlayStation. Now I think the PSX is great, but since I've been hooked on videogames since the late 70s I felt that it failed to deliver me anything as thoroughly addictive and playable as, say Space Invaders or Scramble...
Whilst shopping one day I went into a local videogame store and there on the top shelf was a second-hand Saturn for $65. Now, as I was new to the Saturn I'd not played any of its games so I thought I'd get stuff like Virtua Cop, NiGHTS and Sega Rally to see what the hype was all about. Boy -- was this what the doctor ordered! Just these few games restored my faith in the next generation machines and supplied the playability and addictiveness that I so longed for. This was six months ago. Now I know that Saturn's lifespan is going to be cut short soon, but games like Panzer Saga, House of the Dead and World League Soccer '98 are all stunning and cannot be matched on any system. I would like to say a big thank you to Sega for getting me back into videogames and from now on I shall be loyal to them and will definitely get their new system when it comes out.
Andy Gurr, Sheffield

As your experiences bear out, it's all about the gameplay. I think that we all agree that when it comes to certain styles of games and specific gameplay experiences, the Saturn just can't be matched and will be superseded only by the new Dreamcast, where those values will live on. RICH

---

issue 35, September '98

DAZZLED BY PLAYSTATION HYPE

Dear SSM,
Two weeks ago was a turning point in my gaming life. You see, I was walking down a side street in my local town and I couldn't help but notice that a Saturn with a $35 price ticket was slapped on it was sitting in the window of a pawn shop. There was nothing I could do, I just had the overwhelming desire to buy it then and there. I've never been anti-Sega, but I'd been concentrating on my collection of retro import machines over the last couple of years in the form of a PC Engine and Neo Geo.
That's all changed now though, I really can't get enough of the machine, every waking moment is spent wondering which game I should buy next and counting the hours till I can get off work and get home to get burnt to death as Tillis again! I've found that most of the back catalog of software can be picked up for peanuts if you shop around, and the machine has some particularly good software being released for it. I bought Burning Rangers the other day and it's a totally absorbing and challenging game, it's a classic example of what I've been missing while I've been dazzled by the PlayStation hype.
I'm personally looking forward to the release of the Dreamcast. Okay, so it's essentially going to mean the Saturn will be fading out, but if any SSM readers have any fears that this will mean instant death for their beloved console, then they should take heart from the continuing life that the PC Engine enjoys. There is a thriving global community of PC Engine fans out there whose mission it is to collect all 800 odd titles for the machine. The Saturn is a superb machine, and its memory and software will live on long after Dreamcast has established itself as the best console ever.
Mark Campbell, via email

--

br5.jpg

Amen, Mark! The Saturn has well lived on, and will NEVER die -- never.
Not even time will be able to put out the flames. Like Frankenstein's heart, the Saturn shall beat on... *cue Sandlot* FOREVER

I thank you and have a good night. As well-respected well-loved former EGM editor Ed Semrad wrote in his farewell editorial (issue #105)... "good-bye sounds so final, and it's an old joke in the game industry that no one ever really leaves... so... let's do it again sometime..."

br6.jpg

The fire will never burn out...

Long live the flames, long live the memories, and LONG LIVE THE SEGA SATURN

Last edited:

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I liked those reader letters allot. I almost wiped a tear :D

Cho

Steve

The Wonder Years,
chohan said:
I liked those reader letters allot. I almost wiped a tear

Cho

Yeah, tell me about it. They range from straight to the point to long history lessons -- but they all have one thing in common -- they were all memories and experiences different people have had of the Saturn. Some of the letters are just... surreal

Dak, glad you enjoyed it! Like I said, let's do it again sometime eh... well, off for a little Magical Drop III. Ta-ta! ;)

Underdog

Camel Slug
Great thread Steve. Never had a Saturn, but I recognize so many of the sentiments in feelings towards the Dreamcast. Sega just couldn't seem to catch a break.

Way To Go, Steve!

*stands up and applauds*

Bravo, Steve! That was one of the best threads I've ever read. It truly captured the essence of what the Saturn was all about, and it reflected your passion (as well as other fans' fervor) for the underrated console. You and your friends (R.C. Davis, and John Sinidad) should go out & have a toast to this thread.

This thread reminded me of the day I first played (and later acquired) a Sega Saturn. I had heard much about the console (mainly from EGM and GamePro back in the day), but I didn't really get to try it out until early September 1999, when my friend bought one (as well as Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Toshinden URA, Die Hard Arcade, two controllers, and a steering wheel, all) for $50.00 from a used record store (called "Record Exchange" in DC). Anyways, he showed it off, and after demonstrating games like Daytona USA (with the steering wheel), and Virtua Fighter 2, I wanted in, and spent the next hour and a half playing both games (it would've been longer had I not been called home for dinner).

Fast-forward to three years later. In June 2002, I talked to my friend, who was planning on getting rid of his Saturn console. I offered him a trade- the Saturn PLUS everything mentioned above (minus the steering wheel- which was lost) in exchange for Star Wars #1 (Marvel; valued at $30.00). He accepted, and little did he know, I got the sweeter end of the deal (though he did get a nice, valuable comic from the '70s, I got a lot more out of the Saturn). Two weeks later, I start piling on more games to the ones I had acquired (Virtua Fighter Kids, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, and Street Fighter Alpha 2, just to name a few), and by the end of the summer, the Saturn had taken replaced my Nintendo 64 as the third most-often-used console (closely ahead were the Neo-Geo AES and Sega Dreamcast). All in all, the summer of 2002 was one season I wouldn't be forgetting anytime soon.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Hey yeah, no problem guys. I'm glad you chaps liked this thread so much. We will most definitely have to do it (something similar) again in the near future...

Wow, haven't seen you around in some time, Ben. Nice to see ya again. Nice story!

Later tonight I'll be going to my friend's wedding. He's 26 and I've known him since I was 4 years old. It's funny, last year he and his (to-be-bride) girlfriend came down to my place to sleep over. And he's the biggest Bomberman freak you could ever find. We used to spend countless nights throughout the mid 90s in his living room playing Super Bomberman on the SNES.

They stayed for 2 nights and we ended up spending a good chunk of the time just playing 4 player Bomberman (including my brother, the same one who pushed me to get a Saturn in the 1st place) and we were playing teams.

On the jumping stage... somehow... and I never seen this before or have I since... Becky's bomber got stuck inbetween the blocks! It was the funniest thing I had ever seen! She was squirming to get out but to no avail. My bro and I cunningly plotted to take him out while Becky was trapped.

Once that was taken care of, we let Becky loose and trapped her in a bomb sandwich! :glee:

And now the dude's getting married. My congratulations... AND, my condolences. ;)

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I've seen this thread a few times before today, and even scanned over it a little. But today, I woke up and I was in a "sit down and soak things in" kind of mood. One of those mornings where you like to wake up slow, not get right into things.
Well I got on the computer, and after browsing Unrelated, I decided I was going to read through this entire thread.
Wow.
This is by far one of the most interesting threads I have ever seen on this website. Seriously man, it's great to see so much love poured into one topic.
I'm a Saturn man myself, and like you I didn't pick mine up until after it's market life. I decided to get one mainly for NiGHTS, and ended up finding a See thru Japanese model, with the STKey cart, and No Resale (Store demo) versions of Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, and a SEGA Bootleg Cd. (video preview disc, also has demos for Clockwork Night, Sega Rally, and a Baseball title that eludes me at the moment.) I also managed to get the regular US versions of NiGHTS, Christmas NiGHTS (w00t, w00t), Astal, Tempest 2000, and Mechwarrior 2.
After I came home, and spent all night, and I mean ALL night playing with the system I became addicted. And it's nice to see that others love the Saturn just as much.
You are the man Steve.

And because I felt bad for not adding anything worthwhile to the thread other than praise, heres a nice liitle present from Giga Power.
A SEGA commercial archive. Almost every single SEGA commercial made, and plenty of Saturn ones. Check out the NiGHTS one for a good laugh.

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/commercials/

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Sup Giga. Hey -- just happy to provide some entertainment for you fine chaps. Believe me, I wouldn't have done this entire thread if it wasn't fun for me! I mean, I love you guys but there's a line ya know... ;)

Got back from my friend's big night and lemme just say, I been to tons o' weddings before but his I'll never forget.

He's 26 and the biggest kid I ever met. He is crazy about video games, Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, KFC, Toys R Us, wrestling and music.

Did you know what the couple did after he proposed and she said yes? They went to go see the new Harry Potter flick.

Where is their favorite hangout? Toys R Us.

Hell, when they walked up the rampway, the Star Wars Darth Vader theme played! HAHA! It was the greatest shit I ever saw. All of us just laughed and playfully shook our heads.

It was a great evening. When he proposed, he sang a poem for her that he made up, throwing in references like Incredible Hulk, Chris Benoit's Crippler Crossface, and Hulk Hogan. In the background were 3 of his friends holding signs saying:

"He's a really great guy!"

"Please say yes!"

"I would say yes!"

:lol:

Kinda puts the pressure on the rest of us now to tie the knot, you know what I mean? But it's all good. I'm in the middle so there's no rush for me. Tommy (25) on the other hand....

Anyway, I didn't mean to stray OT too much. Just last night was special and I felt the need to throw it into this (humble I am eh...) very very very special thread. Trust me, you had to be there. Very, ahem, interesting wedding. :emb: :D

Q

qube

There has never ever been another thread on this site that came even close to being as great as this one. I'm sad it's over:crying:

Thank you Steve, for all your hard work and interesting insight into the second greatest console of all time (sorry, the DC is still #1 for me;) )!

Q-

Steve said:

Wow, haven't seen you around in some time, Ben. Nice to see ya again. Nice story!

Oh, I've been around very often. In fact, if you ever checked the King Of Fighters section, you'll find my (soon-to-be-obsolete) KOF 2003 Speculation thread (which was created a short time ago). But I digress.

Just this past summer, I got Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, and from there, the insanity began once again. There would be constant rotations between Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and SPF II Turbo. Truly a remarkable summer (and soon to be a memorable Thanksgiving, now that I've got Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge).

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Ben, good shit. Sounds good to me. :)

SSM really has converted me. Like I said elsewhere in this thread, their enthusiasm/coverage of quality games on Saturn, ones in which I never cared to look at, I have not only done a double-take on those titles but I went out and bought them.

I recently won off eBay both Command & Conquer and Warcraft II: The Dark Saga. I'm not a big strategy guy and I'm probably one of 11 dudes who never played either game back in its heyday -- let alone EVER.

Yet I've been converted -- at least now I'll give them both a shot. (WC II ranked 25, scored 91%, C&C ranked 16, scored 94%)

I also dug out my old EGM issues and wow, both Saturn C&C and Warcraft II won Game of the Month!

C&C took GotM honors in issue 91, Feb. 97, scoring 9.0, 9.0, 9.0 and 8.5

WCII took GotM honors in issue 98, Sept. 97, scoring 8.5 four times across the board.

It's spooky too, cuz last night after the wedding dinner reception my friends were playing the PC game CALL OF DUTY when they got talking about Blizzard and how they splitted up. One of my buddies said "Warcraft II was one of the best games ever."

I love the thrill of scoring Saturn games for peanuts. Some games can be had dirt cheap if you shop around. WCII cost me a total of 5 bucks. C&C a little bit more at 10.50, but that's acceptable.

Some folks may know I'm not an RPG gamer, AT ALL... yet... SSM has sold me on the "Saturn big RPG hitters." I'm now looking to give PDS, SF III and all a shot.
I started today, by winning Albert Odyssey complete for $32.55, a damn good price.

ao-01.jpg

The humor (read: translation) is said to be very good

Speaking of good prices and the "thrill of the hunt," I also recently won Layer Section II complete all for 21 bucks.

And guess what -- right now I'm over at www.sega-saturn.com/reviews.htm reading over the user reviews of these newly bought games. I love that site because of the 100s of user reviews -- ranging from fanboys to level-headed fair gamers, it has it all. Some reviews even refer to a comment made on the same game earlier by another reviewer -- really adds a sense of community.

It's amazing and wonderful that the website is still alive and well today. A lot like the Saturn itself. :cool:

ao-02.jpg

the 1st RPG I'll play... never thought I'd see the day... AO will be a warmup til I can get my hands on Saga...

Last edited:

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Really you're first RPG?? I personally liked Albert Odyssee, great game a bit like Lunar when it comes to fighting. I was wondering, what versions do you own of the top 50 games steve? The UK version or the US/JAP? I personally try to avoid the US versions, since most of the games are about the same price as JAP/UK.

The saturn might have a lack of an RPG library but Panzer Dragoon Saga and Albert Odyssee are great games.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Abdul, never too late to start a new collection...

chohan said:
Really you're first RPG?? I personally liked Albert Odyssee, great game a bit like Lunar when it comes to fighting. I was wondering, what versions do you own of the top 50 games steve? The UK version or the US/JAP? I personally try to avoid the US versions, since most of the games are about the same price as JAP/UK.

The saturn might have a lack of an RPG library but Panzer Dragoon Saga and Albert Odyssee are great games.

I own the US versions of those PAL top 50 games, for the most part. I only buy Japanese imports if that was the only region available or if the JPN version had enhancements over the American game (e.g. Daytona USA CCE)

BTW, many people slam the Saturn's US library. I disagree, I think it has plenty of good games and "hidden gems." But of course, they're not for everyone.

Yup, my first RPG. I can't believe it either. ;)

Well, off to Layer Section II -- just came today. :D

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Just wanted to put a thank-you into the end of this thread, one of the best ever made. I've read through the entire thing at least three times now, just savoring all the classic goodness of the era of the Saturn, which to me was really the last gasp of the old hardcore spirit of the 16-bit era. Some might say that they got this feeling from the Dreamcast also, but as much as I love the DC, the Saturn to me basically kept alive the spirit of the PC Engine, Neo, Super Famicom, Mega Drive days of gaming, and when the Saturn died, so did a lot of that spirit and that type of gaming.

I really only collected and sought out Japanese Saturn games, so it's been interesting for me to read about the PAL releases. To this day, I've probably put more game time into my various Saturn systems over the years than into any other system save the NES. So thanks for this thread, Steve - it's really a great testament to one of the all-time great pieces of game hardware.

PS - Anyone reading this with extra or unwanted back issues of the Japanese Saturn Fan magazine, please sell them to me!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
bump for one of the very best unrelated thread evar.

I used to regulary buy SSM during my university days, in an international bookshop in Bologna.

Great reading, especially for a western magazine. Definetely the best non-jpn gaming magazine I ever saw, together with CGV of those very same days.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I guess i'll ask this question. Since there's so much, Saturn love in this thread. Any body use the Saturn Netlink ? I know i did for IRC and it's games. Sure it couldn't do what the pc did over the internet,but it was a nice cheap alternative. I remember i, use to play the hell out of. Duke Nukem 3d on the Netlink,good times indeed! That's all so how i met Bonuskun heh through IRC. :D

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Great thread indeed... I love my saturn although I don't play it that much anymore, despite my very large collection of shooters... I consider it the best 2D system every, even the mighty Neo Geo has to take a bow! ;)

So many great games, so much memory, and so much money spent on the damn thing, lol.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
N64 > Virtual boy :buttrock:

fixed

:shame:

i have to say this might be the greatest thread in the history of this board, this is what internet forums were made for. :buttrock: