SSM proudly presents... "The Top 50 SEGA Saturn games"

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
Sega saturn it just rocks

Damm , i was on yahoo looking for pictures of saturn games and i found this great "oasis" of saturn fans!! Hey steve i tottaly agree with you, ive got lots of SSM and i loved it, i mean i love it( i still read) , what are those guys doing now?lee nuter etc are they doing any magazine?
About a year ago i start putting my saturn collection in order, and now my favourite hobby is to go to my friiends houses and buying( most of then just give me) saturn games!

P.S. now is the time to collect the games, as time goes by will be only harder to do it.
Anyone knows this game? "heberekes popoito"? i think its the rarest saturn pal game.

Last edited:

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Very... interesting list. I'm surprised no Game Tengoku was on there, or any of Tecno Soft's offerings, or Dungeons and Dragons for that better.

But Steamgear Mash made me smile. That game is super underrated. If you want a somewhat (but not really) similar experience you should check out Prikura Daisakusen... which is pretty awesome.

Also it was interesting that Taromaru popped up so high (or was that just thrown in at random?) At any rate, nice to know I'm not the only person that is in love with the game. :p

But no Langrisser? Stellar Assault SS? Shining Force III (at least I don't think I saw it)? Sakura Taisen? Mmmmm... whatever.

As for Space Hulk, let me be the first to tell you that I actually enjoy it. Mostly because of the "Aliens" feel it gives... it just has a damn cool atmosphere I guess. But yeah, I enjoy some Space Hulk from time to time. Would I put it in the top 50? No. But thats just because there's waaaaay waaaaay waaaay too much freakin' awesome shit hidden super deep in the Saturn library. ;)

Anyways, fun read indeed. :)

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Bakaneiro said:
Anyone knows this game? "heberekes popoito"? i think its the rarest saturn pal game.

Its my understanding that the rarest PAL Saturn games are "Jewels of the Oracle" and, for whatever odd reason, "Mortal Kombat Trilogy".

But "Hebereke's Popoito" is definitely a cool as hell puzzle game in English. :)

*Sigh* If only Bernie Stolar hadn't been a fucking idiot... we could have enjoyed all that cool shit Europe got (Deep Fear, Hebereke's Popoito, Parodius, etc.)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Wow, it was a pleasant surprise to see this baby while I was scrolling through unrelated just a few minutes ago.

It's amazing... just barely over one year ago I started this thread (10-12-03) and now 2005 is just barely around the corner. And I'm still into Saturn big time. Still buying. Still playing. Still kicking. It's a hobby I know I will never get tired of. (I hope to finish my game buying around Halloween 2005 but as many of my Saturn buds tells me, that's highly unlikely, lol)

GARY CUTLACK and RICHARD LEADBETTER recently emailed me! Yeah, no shit! Here they are:

-------

Sent : Sunday, October 10, 2004 3:28 AM
To : Steve
Subject : Sega Saturn Magazine

Dude,

Just had to say how much I enjoyed reading your incredible series of posts on the Neo-Geo forums about SSM's top 50 Saturn games.

Playing and writing about Radiant Silvergun was by far the happiest period of my entire writing career, and although I'm still writing about games for UK mags, nothing will ever come close to those Saturn glory days again -- and we were doing it for fans like you!

The scans of those RS pages bring a tear to my eye, they really do.

SAGE SaTRUn 4 EvaaaAAH,

Gary (Cutlack, formerly of SSM).

------

I replied with 5 questions and he replied:

-------

1. Where the hell are Sam Hickman, Lee Nutter (Chewbacca!),
and last but not least Richard Leadbetter today? Do you keep
in touch with any of them?

Well Lee's editor of PSW which is on the other side of the office from me, so I have no choice but to engage in occasional polite conversation with him in the kitchen on the odd days when we both make cups of tea at the same time. Rich still does freelance for several mags, plus I believe he's now more of a DVD author making cover discs for US games mags. Sam was before my time, so I have no idea of her whereabouts.

2. What are your top ten favorite Saturn games? Any region

These are. I've even put them in reverse order to enhance the thrill. How anyone can prefer V Cop 2 over Cop 1's perfect score multiplier system I'll never know.

10. Last Bronx
9. NiGHTS
8. Dead or Alive
7. VF2
6. Shining Force III
5. Exhumed/Powerslave
4. Radiant Silvergun
3. Daytona USA
2. Virtua Cop
1. Sega Rally

3. What was it like working on SSM, and how were the last
couple months like before issue 37 was cranked out and SSM
officially laid to rest?

It was all right. I just sort of sat there very quietly writing enthusiastic things, getting angry at Matt for removing my jokes and adding spelling mistakes, and hoping that Ed Lomas wouldn't come round from the CVG office and make me pull his finger. Doing the last issue was pretty miserable, especially as we were all so excited about the prospect of gradually morphing it into a Dreamcast mag and, obviously, ruling the world with it for a thousand years. But the Saturn was SO dead by that point (months after Sega had stopped releasing games for it in the UK) there was no hope of it carrying on.

4. How real was the rivalry with Saturn Power? Any particular
memories in regards to this rivalry?

It was more institutional than personal -- we were Emap they were Future, and nobody liked Future. They were moderately capable people making an acceptable magazine in typical Future style, whereas we were SUPERHARDCOREWARRIORS crafting the very best thing we could do each month. They might think otherwise, but put some of the screenshots from both mags side-by-side and you'll be able to tell who cared most and put the effort in (it was us).

5. Final question: what Saturn games do you think SSM might
have overrated? Or, which Saturn games were very good back
in the day, but haven't aged very well?

None were overrated. The Saturn REALLY WAS THAT GOOD!

Oh, and if you're this interested in the minutae of Gary Cutlack's life, why not check out the archives of UK Resistance (www.ukresistance.co.uk) to see the pre-SSM Saturn reviews that helped get me the job on the mag in the first place. They're a bit shit in hindsight, though.

-----

Then Rich Leadbetter emailed me! Holy shit.

----

Hey Steve,
Just like Gary, I've just checked out your brilliant SSM Top 50 thread on the Neo Geo forums. I remember the feature very well. In the run-up to Christmas we had to get issues out of the door in an insanely short amount of time, so we'd "bank" pages in the preceding months by coming up with the likes of Tips A-Zs and retrospective pieces.

Your presentation of the Top 50 in that thread was superb, and I also greatly enjoyed the excerpts of other parts of the magazine. Brought back many memories long since buried and could well inspire me to venture into my attic and dig out a few issues.

I must salute you for truly capturing the spirit of what the magazine was all about. To be honest, I think we were fortunate in that we were writing when Sega's AM and CS teams were at their very best, when quality gaming had a certain purity to it untouched by the seismic changes to the market (and the accepted idea of what makes a "good game") that Sony brought about. It was a golden period and I think that the magazine worked because we knew it, and the readers knew it.

Any way, thanks for a very welcome trip back in time...

Rich

---

I replied with similar questions I gave to Gary, I gave to Rich:

1. Where the hell are Sam Hickman, Lee Nutter (Chewbacca!),
and the rest of the SSM gang (the ones who matter, anyway)
today? Do you keep in touch with any of them?

(speaking of Chewbacca, that Star Wars feature you had in issue
17 or 18 was really ace-tacular! A bold move, as it had nothing to
do with video games, instead focusing on SW's proud lineage!)

2. What are your top ten favorite Saturn games today? Any region

3. How real was the rivalry with Saturn Power? Any particular
memories in regards to this rivalry?

4. Final question: what Saturn games do you think SSM might
have overrated? Or, which Saturn games were very good back
in the day, but haven't aged very well?

His reply below

----

Sent : Tuesday, October 12, 2004 2:17 AM
To : Steve
Subject : RE: Message from Rich Leadbetter

Some answers for you:

1. Sam Hickman is editor of several kids' magazines produced by the BBC. Lee Nutter is the editor of the PS2 mag, PSW. Gary Cutlack is the deputy editor of the UK mag, Xbox Gamer. Matt Yeo has also moved on to editing kids magazines. I run my own multimedia company, Digital Foundry. Those DVDs that have been bundled with the last few issues of EGM? That's our work.

2. To be honest, none of us are massive Saturn fans any more to the extent that we regularly play Saturn games. I haven't touched my Sega stuff in years. But there's no denying the POWER of the Saturn. A top ten, in no particular order would be... Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Street Fighter Collection (specifically Alpha 2, the other games are a cool bonus), Radiant Silvergun, Exhumed/Powerslave, DeathTank Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Duke Nukem 3D, Virtua Cop 1, NiGHTs. There are probably others but those are the ones that I still recall most fondly.

3. There was never a rivalry in any real sense from our perspective. We got all the good games first, always sold far more copies and were totally focused on what we produced as opposed to looking over our shoulders at what other people were doing. We would spend hours getting the right screenshots, making the text entertaining and really working on championing some fantastic games. I simply didn't see that in Saturn Power. In truth, the readers read Saturn Power more than we did and generally tended to email or write in to tell us about it. Since it struck a chord with the readers and it gave them a chuckle, we'd throw in the odd sly comment but in truth we didn't really give a toss. Our focus was elsewhere. The only rival from a quality perspective we had at the time was from CVG magazine, produced in the office right next to ours. OK so it was a multiformat mag, but in terms of sitting down, poring over an issue, reading every word and admiring their work, they were our closest rivals. CVG was the only other games mag we wanted to read. The fact that we were friends and could go to lunch with
them and talk games and have a great time was a bonus. We used to play Quake on PC a lot.

4. You probably have a far more encyclopaedic memory of our review scores than I have. But you're right in that Saturn Bomberman was under-rated. In terms of stuff over-rated, some of the PlayStation ports have aged badly, and some decent games at the time (eg Soviet Strike) are now forgotten and almost totally irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. Some reviews may seem contentious now, but our primary focus in the mag was always the showcases. Our emphasis on dedicating more pages to the big games, championing them and making them feel more special was what we liked doing the most.

Lobotomy - the team disbanded a few years back, but the nucleus of the programming talent is still together. I think they produced the two Baldur's Gate games on console, which are rather good.

Rich

-----

That email up there, was exactly the 1 year anniversary of this thread; I found that to be a pointless but nonetheless very cool coincidence. HA, it was awesome to be reached by these two guys.

I whole-heartedly agreed with Rich when he spoke on the topic of "games had a certain purity" back then, compared to today. There was a certain feeling about the market back in the mid to later 90's... an era that's forever gone and IMHO will never be duplicated, nor can it be.

The spirit of the Saturn and SSM lives on..... and like Chucky or Michael Myers and Freddy and Jason -- on and on and on..... and on..... ;)

Last edited:

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
sS

jp. said:
*Sigh* If only Bernie Stolar hadn't been a fucking idiot... we could have enjoyed all that cool shit Europe got (Deep Fear, Hebereke's Popoito, Parodius, etc.)

Dont say that! you had "corpse killer" ! lol just kidding.. Was Albert Odissey cool?
The only motherf***ers that we should envy should be the japanese, I should seriously try to learn some JAP
:buttrock:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Steve said:
All that stuff he said

How nice of those guys to email you. It's a fitting end to an epic thread!
Love live the saturn (and Xmen vs SF!)

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
lol this is the thread that simply wont die. it seems it pops up like twice a year then settles back as quietly as ever. and every damn time it comes up i read through the whole thing again. :D

long live saturn. :buttrock:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
That was fucking great Steve, i dont know about hero, but Leadbetter was a stalwart of UK mag CVG, which, while i was a child/teen, the best magazine in the world. Just seeing Japanese PCE?Mega/SFC/Neo in uk ags was enough, but their coverage was the best ive seen.

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
is there a scan anywhere of the Panzer Dragoon Saga review?

I got 1 issue of this magazine a couple weeks ago....the top 50 game list one.

Such a quality magazine.

Thanks again for this thread, it got me back into Saturn ( i currently have 7 games)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
abdul. said:

Such a quality magazine.

Thanks again for this thread, it got me back into Saturn ( i currently have 7 games)

A scan of the PDS review? Not that I know of, sorry. I do not have a scanner.

No prob on creating this thread, my pleasure. I never imagined it would come close to seeing 10,000+ hits (which it probably will before all is said and done). I really enjoyed working on this thread and think it's a great tribute to Saturn and Saturn fans worldwide.

I'm about to pop in HYPER DUEL ... the last triple-figure game I needed to get, and got it for just 8 bones. :D

Hard for me a bit to believe that a little over a year ago I was working hard on crafting a good post for each day. SSM was the vehicle, I the driver. :)

As the Holiday season approaches, it's time for Christmas NiGHTS and enjoying all the other good games. (and boy are there plenty to experience; either for the first time or for the 19th time, Saturn or not)

Even though Dark Legend's not a great game I bought this Data East fighter (see first post at the top of page 4) around Christmas of 2001. I enjoyed it for what it was, and some of the stages fit in perfectly with the darkening winter afternoons. I've associated this game with that kind of weather.

out2b.jpg

This game has a pleasant "holiday feel" to it for me... odd, can't really explain it. One of those games that you find hard to play anytime but one season of the year, and for this game it'd be winter for me. I'll play it in the coming weeks. Funny -- I remember when I bought it 3 years ago, I said I was almost done with my Saturn collection -- HA! FUN-NAY!

out1b.jpg

My collection is nearing its end after over four years of die hard buying. I'll be a happy man once it's all said and done. I've said "this is the last stretch run" probably 10 times now, before finding another 30 games to get. This time I know it's it. Game on ;)

s1b.jpg

This here though will always be King, yeh can't ever get tired of this shit ;)

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
abdul. said:

Such a quality magazine.

First bump for a great thread, Steve I am dead envyous of the fact Rich and Steve emailed you, I had been reading Rich's stuff since 1994 (Offical Sega Magazine later to become Offical Saturn Magazine).

Abdul sorry to say I've lost that issue, but I do recall the score. 96%

That issue came with a free copy of the first disc of PDS, one of the best free magazine give-aways ever

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
jp. said:
Heh your not the only who hates Bernie and the way he ran Soa.

To his stupid 5 star policey and his refuseingt to let. The (Ram cart games) be release here, realy did hurt the Saturn at least i think so.

S

SSM4Life

I know bumping from one post losers is frowned upon on some internet forums, but this thread simply cannot be allowed to die.

SAGE SaTRUn 4 EvaaaAAH, as Gary Cutlack so eloquently put it.

:buttrock:

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
What a great read. Had to bump this as it's such a good thread. The Saturn is the greatest system ever.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
What a great thread. I often think of my Saturn as my 2D fighting game console of choice, but it has great games from many genres as this thread shows.