Recent content by TobyPC

1. TobyPC

NTSC Famiclone - jail bars.

I got this Famiclone in a trade. It was not working. I replaced the voltage regulator and it fired right up; I noticed jail bars in the picture, to my dismay. I soldered in a 100uf cap between PPU pins 20 and 22, which cleaned up the bars a bit..but they are still there. It appears to be a...
  2. TobyPC

Cab Restoration: Killer Instinct 2

Today I pulled off the control panel and started filling in the gaps with wood filler. Sanding. I was able to uncover the original control panel art by carefully pulling off the cheap overlay. It had some minor damage but I touched it up with some paint and a paintbrush. Not sure if I'm going...
  3. TobyPC

Wanted: Killer Instinct 1/2 CPO, Marquee and PCB

Howdy. The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for either a KI1 or KI2 board for the KI2 cabinet I'm restoring. I'll need a KI2 Marquee and possibly CPO for the dedicated cab. I wan't to keep it original if possible.
  4. TobyPC

I did end up using citristrip today. It did prove to be very useful but it also soaked a bit into the vinyl and some areas and made it pliable. It did tear the vinyl a little bit. I did my best to clean it up.. but I'm going to wait a couple days for the vinyl to harden again before touching it...
  5. TobyPC

I scooped up this Killer Instinct 2 cabinet for 180. It was converted to a Neo Geo 4 slot. It happened to have Strikers 1945 Plus in it.. which more or less covered the value of the cabinet altogether! Today, I started stripping the oil based paint off of it to expose the artwork underneath...
  6. TobyPC

Bringing back a MV4F to life: No sound Slots 3&4

Earlier in the week I repaired a NEO-253 on the top board of this 4 slot MVS board... After toying around with this thing a little bit.. it appears the sound is working!..from slots 1 and 2 only...hmm. Any ideas what can cause this? I've cleaned the contacts really well. What are the chances...
  7. TobyPC

Wanted: NEO-253 Chip.

I guess I no longer need the chip. I filed back this one enough to expose some contact material and established legs with some thin wire.
  8. TobyPC

If that Center contact wasn't so far gone I could have filed it back and fixed it. But no matter how much I file I cant get metal to expose. :annoyed:
  9. TobyPC

I'm trying to necro this 4 slot MVS board I recently acquired. One of the NEO-253 chips was too heavily damaged to be repaired. Does anyone have one they could sell me?
  10. TobyPC

Konami M.I.A. Missing in Action Jamma

I reflowed some of the joints and reestablished traces. The result: I just can't seem to get rid of those last few lines through the moving characters. All the background stuff seems fine. Any thoughts?
  11. TobyPC

Konami M.I.A. Missing in Action Jamma

I'm wondering if anybody could give me any pointers with this. I picked up this MIA board the other day. When I tested it out at home, the picture is terribly scrambled. I noticed that some of the traces were scratched on the bottom. I took my continuity tester and reestablished all the traces...
  12. TobyPC

MVS-4 Work RAM error

I know its been almost a year, but I finally got the chance to fix it. The problem was with the lower work ram. I was able to isolate the work ram by using a continuity tester. I probed Pin28 on the RAM chip (+5) and the +5 on the edge to verify either video or work ram. Backup ram would be...
  13. TobyPC

WANTED: PS1 Parallel Cover

Anyone have a spare PS1 parallel port cover? I lost mine somewhere and its driving me nuts not having it. Totally superficial I know.. My model is: SCPH-7501 I used to use an external modchip to spin up my backups. I installed a MM3 chip and looked in my crap for the cover..and its gawn...
  14. TobyPC

MVS-4 Work RAM error

Hello peoples of the tech support forum. To my dismay, I powered on my lovely MVS4 to play some rounds of my favorites..and I was met with the horrible error "Work RAM Error" :annoyed: Address: 00101408 Write: AAAA Read: AABA I tried to clear the backup memory by flipping all the dips to "off"...